Children's Hospital tried to give DD a bottle. :( ** Update post #11 ** - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't be concerned at the sugar water, but the GA? Now that's risky business. DS had his tt clipped at 6 wks and the doc numbed it with oragel swab. They don't do GA until the baby is 6 mos because by then they can put up a fight...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#32 of 37 Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM

I would have been upset too. Many problems can be caused by not considering breastmilk a clear liquid, and they shouldn't do anything without your permission. And to have the baby's first sucking with their "new mouth setup" be on an artificial nipple just seems counter-intunitive. Do they have a patient advocate that can help you make sure you get a response? I hope you can communicate with them and get a little education through to that department.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#33 of 37 Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 AM

In some respects I know where you are coming from. They should have asked you first and giving a bottle can confuse the baby I have noticed latching on problems after giving my daughter expressed milk in a bottle, though this has improved a lot.

#34 of 37 Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Sorry but it is dangerous for health care professionals to assume anything. I had many things left unchecked e.g. though wearing a wrist band for an allergy and telling about the 12 midwife about what I was allergic to i was unable to communicate this to the next midwife as I was in pain and under the effect of painkillers. Health professionals are under a lot of pressure but basic checks always need to be made. Sometimes patients do need to be very assertive in the face of poorly coordinated care and spell out exactly what they need e.g. the only way I got a catherta during labour was to demand one, rather than say 'I haven't been able to wee for 15 hours' to a procession of different nurses sent to 'look after' me and baby during labour, I had to say 'I  need a catherta'. The midwife who gave me the catherta then admitted that my bladder was that full it had probably been causing an obstruction and making the labour take longer. Soz ( I don't know how to spell 'catherta' but at least I knew the name and what they are used for).

#35 of 37 Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Hospitals do not need permission to give bottles. It's important to have no bottles put on the chart and to stay with your child. You are responsible for what happens to your baby unless they forbid you from being in the room. If they do kick you out then you have to let them know. Phlebotomists, medical lab techs, and nurses are usually taught to give bottles during or after procedures. They don't know any better. Patients need to be informed consumers when it comes to medical care. That's not the way it should be but the way it is.

Childrens hospitals may or may not be supportive of breastfeeding. The kinds of patients that they see would have a low breastfeeding rate.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#36 of 37 Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM

I think my biggest problem with this situation is that they did something to your child without your consent. 

And by the way, that's total bs that hospitals have just made up the rule that they don't need permission to give your baby a bottle.  Would you let a random stranger give your baby a bottle without asking?  No.  They should have the same common courtesy.

#37 of 37 Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 PM

as a nurse myself and a mom of 6 kids.. YES you have to get all up in their business sometimes. there is this underlying assumption that parents don't know anything and should not be allowed to be around their kids and honestly it is crap. currently i am studying to become a LC and i am honestly SHOCKED about how little i was taught in school about breastfeeding. SHOCKED! i wouldn't expect any other nurse to have much more info on bf then i did. AND what better thing for a baby to be having right after surgery than breastmilk? even if they aspirate it, it is much better than sugar water or formula. and it seems to me hospital staff is always eager to give a bottle before asking a mom to nurse their baby.

you did the right thing, and write the letter! and all of you, always always always SPEAK UP for yourself and your children when your in the hospital! 

h

MHunter likes this.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page