Breastfeeding friendly kids books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of any children's books that are breastfeeding friendly. Either they talk about breastfeeding  a baby so an older sibling can see pictures or a storybook that doesn't show pictures of bottles. I swear the magazine had a list in like a 2007 or 2008 edition, but I don't remember. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM

There aren't many, but I have found a few:

Hello Baby by Lizzy Rockwell

Mama's Milk by Michael Ross

All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon - I just posted a review of this because another MDC mama pointed out in a recent thread that there is a nursing mama in one of the illustrations in the book.  I love this book, but I'd missed that somehow!  I had to get it from the library to see for myself.  It is a very minor aspect of the book, obviously.  But it's a great book. :)

Hope this helps!

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#3 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM

I just received as a gift a copy of Near Mama's Heart by Colleen Newman. It is a sweet book about the joys of nursing told from an infant/child's perspective. The pictures are photographs of nursing moms and their children; I love that it includes images of tandem and extended nursing.

The Sears Family children's books all depict breastfeeding as the norm. What Baby Needs is a nice book for a young big sibling. I think I first found it through an Amazon list called "Granola Kids Books." That list includes several breastfeeding-related titles, though I haven't read many of them myself.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 17 Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner04 View Post

I just received as a gift a copy of Near Mama's Heart by Colleen Newman. It is a sweet book about the joys of nursing told from an infant/child's perspective. The pictures are photographs of nursing moms and their children; I love that it includes images of tandem and extended nursing.

The Sears Family children's books all depict breastfeeding as the norm. What Baby Needs is a nice book for a young big sibling. I think I first found it through an Amazon list called "Granola Kids Books." That list includes several breastfeeding-related titles, though I haven't read many of them myself.

How do I do a list in Amazon? I can't figure it out!

#5 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 AM

I don't know whether this is the most direct way to do it, but if I choose "Listmania" as my Amazon search department and then browse one of the lists, I see a "Create your own Listmania" link below each listed item. Does it work that way for you?

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#6 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM

There's a nice list linked to in this thread (post 5): http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1305203/weird-children-s-book

#7 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Publishers Pinter & Martin have announced the publication of two breastfeeding books for children in September.

Follow them on Facebook for previews.

#8 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmayjun98p68.html

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#9 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I was just thinking about this last night as I was looking at a Richard Scarry book with my son. There's a really disturbing (to me, at least... though I realize it's partly due to the book being dated) episode in one book where a mother drops her daughter off at the hospital to undergo surgery (tonsils out) & then mom shows up at the hospital (via ambulance no less...) to give birth. Family is reunited in mom's hospital room & she's giving a bottle to new baby. Grr...

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#10 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM

http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp/0859539741

I found this when dd was a baby, and just love it. It has no words, but you see the family eating healthy food, the baby nursing, and they even babywear. Such a sweet book!

Trying to get my bearings...
#11 of 17 Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

We love Near Mama's Heart too!

And Supermum (Supermom), by Manning/Granström, has a lovely picture of a mum co-sleeping with two littlies, another of a mother breastfeeding a baby at night, and one of a mother babywearing.

In a couple of the Katie Morag books, by Mairi Hedderwick has Katie Morag's mum breastfeeding the baby, in the midst of family life.

Tucking in, just like me is a lift the flap board book, with a lamb getting milk from the mama sheep, and a baby breastfeeding too.

I want a brother or sister too or That's my baby! (different translations), by Astrid Lindgren, shows Mamma breastfeeding Peter's baby sister (with her back turned to the readers).

Ronia the robber's daughter, also by Astrid Lindgren, isn't actually a picture book, but a children's book good for reading aloud. It has some black and white illustrations, one of them picturing Lovis breastfeeding newborn Ronia. There may be a breastfeeding picture in the second Madicken book (Mardie in some translations), at the end the girls get a baby sister, born at home, with a midwife in attendance. The only bottles I can recall in any of her books are for feeding mother-less lambs!

I think it is awful that there are so few images, and that nearly all books that depicts babies have them bottle-feeding, even when it has nothing to do with the story. I really wish it wasn't so hard to find books our kids can identify with.
#12 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 AM

I know I'm late jumping in here, but when my second child was born I got the book We Have a Baby.  It's isn't breastfeeding focused but you do see mom nursing and the older child having a drink during the "A baby to feed" part.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#13 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM

The titles and previews are now available!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Mystery-of-the-Breast/168139066573312 

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/You-me-and-the-breast/179175838800388

I believe that both are available for pre-order from Amazon.

They look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post

Publishers Pinter & Martin have announced the publication of two breastfeeding books for children in September.

Follow them on Facebook for previews.

#14 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 PM

When I was pregnant with my second child I received the best sibling gift, a book called. Mommy Breastfeeds My Baby Brother by Mark Repkin.  It is the cutest children's book about breastfeeding!  My daughter loved the book.  I read it to her over and over.  It was a great way to prepare her for her new breastfeeding brother.  I have since, bought the book for many pregnant friends.  I have bought it on both Amazon and Facebook.

#15 of 17 Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Saturday With Mez: A Day in the Life of a Breastfeeding Toddler

http://www.northcountrynotes.org/laurenserafin/saturdayWithMez/index.html

You can view the entire book on the web site.

#16 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Banned

Sophie and the winter baby is awesome

Rosie's babies shows the girl bottle-feeding her stuffed animals but her mom nurses the real baby smile.gif

All of the sears pictures books yeah
#17 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

My kids love Breastmilk Makes My Tummy Yummy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0a-U59Ypmc

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page