Anyone have contacts for the new breastpump FSA/tax deduction eligible law? Noticing many inconsistencies by retailers in compliance with law. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my searching to buy a new pump with my FSA card, I have noticed many inconsistencies in how retailers are complying with the law.  My hunch is that the separate, but also new, law about OTC drugs is actually causing problems for the breastpump policy and the ease of getting a new pump with FSA.  I am getting a lot of "oh you need a doctor's note for that now" replies.  banghead.gif  Uh no, you don't--that's a different law altogether and doesn't apply to breastpumps, which have never been covered before this year.  But they don't get it. 

Has anyone had experience with this or know the best way to deal with it?  

I am getting very frustrated because I can buy certain pumps with my FSA card and not others--and of course not the one I want.  And the retailers have no clue what they are doing and are generally unhelpful.  

It's ridiculous because I know if I used cash, then waited until next year and added it to my 2011 return, I could put just about anything on there and it would fly--they aren't going to be distinguishing between brands of pumps while reviewing your tax form--and rightly so.  But because I don't want to be out $200 until next year, I am subject to all this mess?  

I think something needs to be done ASAP so that mothers who have FSA--a system that benefits employers and the IRS probably more so than the participant--aren't hindered in using the breastpump benefit.  

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page