Atlanta area city bans breastfeeding toddlers in public - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyskies View Post

I'm curious why anyone would still be BF a 3 year old child.... buuuut, It's true, trying to make up new laws regarding BF will just make things harder down the road for mothers than need to nurse, wherever they are. I'm sure it will be changed back soon! They can't do that to state and federal law.

Welcome to MDC! I'm so glad you asked about nursing an older child. I used to wonder why as well, until I researched it more and actually saw nursing toddlers and children (thank you nursing moms!). Then I realized that moms nurse older children because it is normal - as humans we are built to nurse into childhood. Have a look at this great kellymom handout to learn more about breastfeeding past infancy.

#92 of 107 Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyskies View Post

I'm curious why anyone would still be BF a 3 year old child.... buuuut, It's true, trying to make up new laws regarding BF will just make things harder down the road for mothers than need to nurse, wherever they are. I'm sure it will be changed back soon! They can't do that to state and federal law.

There are a lot of good reasons to nurse a three year old.  Here is a summary of just some of them.  I encourage you to read some on child led weaning and breastfeeding beyond infancy.  http://www.lightparty.com/Health/10ReasonsToBreastfeed.html 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#93 of 107 Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Great photos in the news articles, Mamas! Well done! Wish we could have been there.

#94 of 107 Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Privacy Reminder: This thread is FEATURED ON FACEBOOK.

#95 of 107 Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not happy to know that this is on the Fbook.greensad.gifhopmad.gif

Could someone copy just my links to the news coverage and re-post them? Then, I will edit my posts. Thanks you.

I did not give MDC permission to post my thoughts and ideas on the Fbook!
#96 of 107 Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Seriously?  This is an open forum.  Anyone, anywhere around the world with internet access can read it.   I'm getting more frustrated by the self appointed privacy police than by the threas being featured on Facebook. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#97 of 107 Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

Seriously?  This is an open forum.  Anyone, anywhere around the world with internet access can read it.   I'm getting more frustrated by the self appointed privacy police than by the threas being featured on Facebook. 

This opinion of yours is not shared by all of us here at MDC. Some ladies were positively ill last night to know that MDC had so blatantly posted threads to Fbook without warning. And now we have the policy changed.
#98 of 107 Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 AM

i know this is off topic but that's exactly why i do not use a psuedonym that can be tied in any way to me in real life and i don't use the same info on my facebook pages as on mdc

MAD PROPS to my georgia sisters and brothers!!!!!!!!  i wish i could have been there too.  i did call the official in question, though. 

one lesson here-- the press sure does love a nurse-in.  ;)

<3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#99 of 107 Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM

I didn't know about the FB thing either. anyway, updates I've heard:

turnout for the nurse-in was great-- over 200! it was the top news story at lunch hour locally! I really enjoyed hearing "lactivism" and "nurse-in" get introduced to the ATL news vocab orngbiggrin.gif

also, to add to the convo, I'll repeat what I wrote on a friend's FB page: the focus of the original ordinance was public nudity. the wording provided an exemption for mothers bf'ing children "under the age of 2." inadvertently or not, this left nursing a child age 2 and up (not 3 and up) equal to public nudity and other public lewdness the ordinance was meant to address. very importantly, this conflicts with GA state law. people may have any and all opinions about parenting decisions-- and they do!-- but this discriminates against those who choose continued breastfeeding over formula, pacifiers, whatever. any person can think anything they like about my extended breastfeeding and child-led weaning, but legislation that discriminates against my choice to do so is a civil rights issue.

and, I will repeat what someone else said earlier: Forest Park is NOT Atlanta, just so no one is confused winky.gif it's south of atlanta, not even the same county. not that it isn't indicative of pervasive general ignorance that can be found all over, but it's not the same city. and the nurse-in really showed that there are plenty of lactivists (and babywearers, and cloth diaperers!) all around! thumb.gif

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#100 of 107 Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm so happy the nurse in had such a great turnout. My kiddos woke up and after nursing, dressing, breakfast, we couldn't make it there on time. However, I think the group may be planning action in some of the other counties that have similar ordinances, one of which is mine (boo!), so maybe there will be a next time! I would have enjoyed spending time with all those mamas in support of such an important issue.

Lucky SAHM to wonderful twin girls (9/09)
#101 of 107 Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM

There's another one planned in Forest Park on Monday (June 6th) from 6 - 8 PM for the city council meeting.

oh noo
#102 of 107 Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

I think everyone in the Atlanta area who breastfeeds needs to go to one single park in atlanta and over flow it, breastfeeding in public to protest this nonsense. Who wants to organize it?! How inhumane that they would pass this law. I almost WANT to move down there just so I can cause all sorts of trouble in that city

yeahthat.gif

It's bull* like this that's the reason more moms of toddlers don't nurse in public because of the ridiculous and unfounded nonsense that spews out of ignorant people. If I had to guess, judging  by what he said, I'd say the city manager has some sort of personal grudge with it.

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif
#103 of 107 Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

This opinion of yours is not shared by all of us here at MDC. Some ladies were positively ill last night to know that MDC had so blatantly posted threads to Fbook without warning. And now we have the policy changed.

You DO know this entire forum shows up on Google, and can be read without registering here, by anyone in the entire world? This is not a private forum, by any means. Anyhow, I'm sorry people felt that their trust was betrayed when public posts on a public forum were linked to on another public website.

I hope the publicity this issue is receiving helps exert pressure on the people who can change this, and influences them to do the right thing.

KempsMama likes this.
#104 of 107 Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 PM

UPDATE: The city council voted on Monday night to change the ordinance. The previous wording included the "under age 2" clause. The current version has no age limit whatsoever.

Thank you to all the courageous moms, dads, and friends who took a stand and told the city council they do not have the right to dictate when a child must be weaned.

#105 of 107 Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fabulous news-- thanks for the update!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#106 of 107 Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Awesome!  Way to go, those of you who campaigned for a change.

#107 of 107 Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Excellent news! Thank you for the update Kittykat!thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page