Atlanta area city bans breastfeeding toddlers in public - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This city in the Atlanta area apparently just passed a ban on breastfeeding children older than 2.

From the news story:

City manager John Parker called the law a proactive step.

“It sets up a process whereby we can try to control nudity throughout the entire city," Parker said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27920007/detail.html

God, just when it feels like we're making progress...

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM

WTH?banghead.gif

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I always strip down nude when I nurse my child in public!!!

#4 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 AM

I fail to see how breastfeeding, no matter the age of  the child = nudity. Next, they'll try to tell mothers of children under two that they can't NIP. Ridiculous.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

WTH?banghead.gif

I totally agree.  This is ridiculous!!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#6 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM

how is that legal? bigeyes.gif

cocoanib likes this.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#7 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 AM

WHAT! How does the age of the child have anything to do with whether or not BFing is considered nudity?  Really, if mom is showing skin, she's showing whether the kid is 3 months or 3 years!

#8 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM

i've seen women showing more skin walking around in Atlanta than any Bf'ing mom ever exposed!

BubbleMa, cocoanib, Mommel and 2 others like this.
#9 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Um, what?  Georgia state law says a woman can breastfeed anywhere she's legally allowed, there's no age restriction.  Pretty sure cities can't pass laws or ordinances that are in direct violation of state law.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#10 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Edited because its on Fbook. There really should be a special bolding or color that tips us off.
#11 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 AM

When are they going to outlaw Hooters Restaurants???

#12 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post

Um, what?  Georgia state law says a woman can breastfeed anywhere she's legally allowed, there's no age restriction.  Pretty sure cities can't pass laws or ordinances that are in direct violation of state law.

This is true. I may make a call to the Georgia AG.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#13 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Here's the contact info. I'm emailing him now.

Office of the City Manager
745 Forest Parkway
Forest Park, Ga. 30297
Phone: 404-366-4720
Fax: 404-608-2343

John Parker, City Manager
Email address - jparker@forestparkga.org
hildare likes this.
#14 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM

I guess Georgia is on my list of states to avoid now. Tennessee was on there before (which is sad as my sister moved there) due to their no NIP laws after 1 year but they recently changed that. I mean really America, get over it!

#15 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do they propose to enforce this? Do mothers have to carry their babies' birth certificates around with them? This is just the stupidest thing ever.
Turquesa likes this.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm not good at writing letters, but I would be happy to send one if given a template.  Although I do not live in GA. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#17 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I left a message with the Attorney General's office, and I also called the news station that originally reported the story and told them about the contradiction with state law. They sounded like they might be interested in doing a follow-up. I'm going to shoot a quick email to the city manager as well.

I don't have a ton of time to deal with this, but if anyone knows anyone who deals with breastfeeding issues in Georgia, you might pass it on to them for followup. 

marija_jane likes this.

#18 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

I left a message with the Attorney General's office, and I also called the news station that originally reported the story and told them about the contradiction with state law. They sounded like they might be interested in doing a follow-up. I'm going to shoot a quick email to the city manager as well.

I don't have a ton of time to deal with this, but if anyone knows anyone who deals with breastfeeding issues in Georgia, you might pass it on to them for followup. 

You're awesome! I thought about emailing, but wondered what good it would do since I'm not from Georgia.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM

I don't get it... does "proactive" mean there are no nursing toddlers at present, but just in case there are some in the future, and just in case there are complaints?  Maybe they should criminalize nursing extraterrestrials as well.  Just in case.

Storm Bride likes this.
#20 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what I sent:

Mr. Parker,
I just noticed a news report stating that the city of Forest Park recently passed an ordinance that prohibits a mother from breastfeeding a child older than two years old in public. However, Georgia state law protects the right of the mother to nurse her baby, regardless of the age of the child. As you of course know, that state law would trump the municipal ordinance. I'd like to request that you check with the Attorney General's Office to make sure that your ordinance is not in conflict with state law. I'm attaching the text of the state law for your convenience.
Best,
---

Georgia Code - Health - Title 31, Section 31-1-9

The breast-feeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. A mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be.

#21 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM

I found the North Georgia Breastfeeding Coalition and sent them a heads up!

http://nwgabfcoalition.com/
cocoanib likes this.
#22 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, thanks! I was just about to do that. I literally had their web page up.

Okay, now I actually have to get back to my real work. I'll let you know if I hear from anyone.

#23 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks for spreading the word about this.  I also sent an email to the city reminding them of the GA state law that protects breastfeeding mothers.  Hopefully if enough people respond, they will revoke this ridiculous law!

treehugger.giflactivist.gif h20homebirth.gif

#24 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

y'all are some awesome mamas! I'm trying (between juggling the needs of my littles) to either find a nurse-in or organize one. you're way ahead of me and you don't even live here! love.gif

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#25 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

This guy managed to get the city manager on the phone: http://www.thisdaddysblog.com/2011/05/new-law-says-breastfeeding-in-public-is.html

Here's what he had to say:

"John Parkers words to me this morning were "We don't want children that can walk around to be breastfeeding in public."

#26 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post

y'all are some awesome mamas!

truedat.gif

I don't live in Georgia but I'm going to send a few emails from here. Thanks for passing this along - altho it's GA it sets a precedent that would suck if passed to other cities and states.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#27 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

If any of you mamas are in the Atlanta area and want to participate in a nurse-in, they're planning one over on the Kelly Mom FB page. Based on that blog entry, it's actually worse than I thought it was. They literally do want to criminalize nursing a toddler.

#28 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

This guy managed to get the city manager on the phone: http://www.thisdaddysblog.com/2011/05/new-law-says-breastfeeding-in-public-is.html

Here's what he had to say:

"John Parkers words to me this morning were "We don't want children that can walk around to be breastfeeding in public."

Well, gee that's interesting, and by interesting I mean completely un-freaking-believeable. I was "walking around" well before age 2, in fact I was nine months old. My nephew was walking at around 7-8 months old. This guy obviously has some unresolved issues, and I hope the state steps in and prevents him from inflicting them on innocent babies and mommas.

#29 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Wow. Do Georgia babies not walk until the day they turn two? This is so bizarre and scary.
SuburbanHippie likes this.

#30 of 107 Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM

What I don't get is WHY this would even be on anyone's radar to begin with? I mean, does this place in Georgia have thousands of breastfeeding toddlers taking over the parks and streets being breastfed all day long while mom strips to feed them?

Seriously, there are so few children breastfeeding over the age of 2, especially in the U.S. that I don't understand why there was a need to come up with this law. Obviously this is a personal agenda from one individual who was probably out at a restaurant or in a park and ONCE saw a toddler breastfeeding and thought to himself, "wow, that's disgusting! That should be illegal! How excellent for me that I am in a position to make it so!"
kl5 likes this.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page