The National Opinion Survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got the survey myself and decided to do a little research on what I was filling out. Which, by the way, you should always do before you go filling out anything asking pesonal information ESPECIALLY when it involves your kids! Anywho, I read most of your comments and I really think you ladies need to calm down. I agree that breast feeding is the absolute BEST choice for babies. And every formula company now states that on just about EVERYTHING they hand out. So I'm not sure about them wanting to undermine mother's who are breast feeding. That being said, you all need to realize that not every woman is able to breast feed. I tried VERY hard and could not produce enough for my baby. Being that I sadly had to rely on formula to nourish my child, I'm glad these companies are doing the research required to produce a safe, healthy and nourishing substitute to breast feeding. As for where they place thier product, I don't really care. It's ultimately up to us mother's to decide what is best for our children. I got Similac from my hospital and have ended up with an Enfimil product. I never liked Enfimil in the past, but this is what has worked best for my baby. AGAIN as a 2nd best choice to breast feeding.

#2 of 3 Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Of course I dont know your situation; you're probably one of the few women who actually cant produce enough milk. But not everyone realizes that that doesnt happen very often. Our bodies are MADE to produce enough milk. I thought I wasnt making enough because my son was hungry constantly and never wanted to stop eating. He'd eat til he drained one side then drain the other, then do it again. He was just cluster-feeding luckily.

It is good that there's a relatively safe (ya know, aside from the bug and larvae parts) alternative. But what did mothers do before there was an alternative? Most mammals dont have the option to use a backup. I think that if humans had no backup, more women would find that they actually CAN make enough milk if they dont quit too soon.

I'll add the link for an article I saw here yesterday. It talks about how verbiage makes formula seem like 2nd best, when in reality, it is 4th best. First is breastfeeding. 2nd is your breast milk in a bottle. 3rd is another human's milk. 4th is formula. Breastfed babies arent "healthier" than formula fed babies. They are normal, and formula fed babies tend to be unhealthy (ear infections, allergies, overall well-being).

What truly bothers me is that women I know closely figure that since their formula fed babies "turned out fine" that formula is completely acceptable. My cousin has 3 formula boys and thinks I'm overreacting about not wanting my son to ever have formula. I have to tell her that just because it's "not that bad" that doesnt mean it's good. 

Here's that link: http://www.motherchronicle.com/watchyourlanguage.html 

#3 of 3 Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Then why do they intentionally obscure who the survey is from? 

aja-belly likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page