Virginia Foxx (R-NC) proposes cuts to funding for breast feeding support and education - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's a link to the Huffington Post article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/15/virginia-foxx-proposes-to_n_877750.html?ref=fb&src=sp

I guess she doesn't realize that women on WIC who don't learn to breastfeed will in all likelihood end up getting free formula through WIC.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM

So what can we do about it? thumb.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the amendment didn't pass.  Here's a link to find out how your reps voted.  

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll431.xml

If your representative voted in favor of this bill, write them or call them to express your feelings about it.  Mine did & I'm not surprised, but I've already written him about it.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 AM

well that's good it didn't pass! Thanks for the link!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Ugh, 3 of my state's reps voted yes. Sadly, I'm not surprised. I will write them and complain.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read a great blog post about this last night:
http://theleakyboob.com/2011/06/the-high-life-of-a-wic-breastfeeding-peer-counselor/

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-17-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

That blog post was fantastic.  I think I'll forward it to my representative.  The thing that floors me about my rep is that he's a medical doctor and still voted to cut funding.  That is just unconscionable to me.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Would anyone share their email or letter text? I want to write the reps in my state, but I am feeling really lazy. blush.gif

Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 AM

That doesn't surprise me almost none of the Dr's I have met don't think BFing is important at all. I have been told by a ped that formula is just as good as BM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

That blog post was fantastic.  I think I'll forward it to my representative.  The thing that floors me about my rep is that he's a medical doctor and still voted to cut funding.  That is just unconscionable to me.

I also agree with PP that if they cut this then everyone would just be getting state-paid-for formula. So is it worth it? Absolutely not!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

That doesn't surprise me almost none of the Dr's I have met don't think BFing is important at all. I have been told by a ped that formula is just as good as BM...

I also agree with PP that if they cut this then everyone would just be getting state-paid-for formula. So is it worth it? Absolutely not!

I cant believe how many doctors are so misinformed and passing that misinformation on to so many parents. A friend of mine had a baby a month before I had mine. She tried to breast feed but within a few hours she had extremely painful blisters. Also, she had been off of her bipolar meds throughout her pregnancy and really couldnt go without them any longer. So in her case, formula feeding was needed, as a last resort. I was disheartened however when I talked to her boyfriend who was totally fine with formula and expressed how great it is. He's one of those people that believes the formula ads telling you that it's as good as breast milk (just because the stuff has DHA, does not mean it's as good as the real stuff). Have you ever smelled formula? It's disgusting, really.

Oh and WIC pays for soooo much formula it's ridiculous. The ladies at my local WIC office LOVE me because I'm still nursing. And remember, "state-paid-for" means "tax-payer-paid-for" which means that us nursing moms who work or who's husbands work are paying for others to artificially feed their babies. I'd rather pay more taxes to help mothers learn how to feed their babies the RIGHT way in any possible case.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM

On a happier note, ALL of my reps voted no :)

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM

oh no Virginia Foxx is my local representative. I am not surprised considering her record and I did not vote for her but she will definitely be hearing from me.

Ok here is the email I sent her:

I just wanted to let Congresswoman Foxx know that I was very disappointed with her amendment to eliminate breastfeeding peer counselors and support as a component of the WIC program. I am so very glad it did not pass. I hope Ms. Foxx also realizes that breastfeeding is best for baby and by not supporting women to breastfeed that more of these low income women will end up using formula and getting expensive WIC vouchers for formula at the taxpayers expense. Also babies who are formula fed and on medicaid will also end up costing the taxpayer more in higher medical bills since breastfeed babies are healthier and require less doctors visits. I hope Ms. Foxx will do some research about the importance of breastfeeding before she introduces such a bad amendment again.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Not everyone would be getting state paid formula. I am on WIC (I'm young still in college and as much as DH and I love DD she wasn't  expected for several years to  come) and the bad rep that people who accept WIC get (as in how supposedly none of them care about BF just what's cheapest and gets them the most stuff) is a little annoying. I live in south texas and I am not the only EBFing mom at the clinic we go to. if anything the WIC clinic employees don't seem to care if we breast feed and mistrust that I'm telling the truth about not slipping DD formula every now and then.The ask several times at each visit within minutes of each other and after just hearing me answer "no, no formula at all" and "yes I'm sure I'm EBFing".

(sorry to rant, it's just sort of a sore spot for me...)

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif

User Tag List