The Origin of Modesty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to find information on when and why the breast became taboo.  I know in some cultures the breast is nothing to even turn a head at, but it's such a big deal here in America.  Did women choose to cover, or did males force them to?  I really have no idea how this all evolved, and I love to know why things are the way they are, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.  TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 PM

I don't think there is solely one answer for this.  This is one of the questions I'm exploring in the movie.  I'll be writing some blog posts over the next few weeks exploring some of the issues and reasons and I'll try to update here as I do.

Why is a man making a movie about women's breasts? I used to think breasts were mostly for sex. Then my son was born and I saw the beauty of their primary function: nurturing children. This changed my life, enabling me to finally see women as people.

http://www.BreastsTheMovie.com

Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 AM

My wife actually wrote a special guest post on this topic this evening.  You can find it on my website.  I think it's a great introduction into a few of the issues we've been researching (though I know I'm biased, I love my wife :-)

Why is a man making a movie about women's breasts? I used to think breasts were mostly for sex. Then my son was born and I saw the beauty of their primary function: nurturing children. This changed my life, enabling me to finally see women as people.

http://www.BreastsTheMovie.com

User Tag List