Dr.'s advice at 2 month old's check-up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was hoping for some advice.  I took my ten week old baby boy to his two month check up this morning.  When the doctor saw my baby's weight (15 lbs 7 oz) he asked how often I'm feeding him, and how long the feedings are.  He has asked me that at our previous appointments, and to be honest, I think it's a very hard question to answer.  For myself at least, I don't think it's possible to breastfeed on a schedule.  Sometimes babies nurse with short cluster feedings, other times babies (well, mine at least) nurse longer and further apart.  Sometimes they nurse for comfort, sometimes for thirst, and sometimes hunger.  In any case, I haven't really known how to honestly answer the ped's question, so I just brush it off with "it varies, every couple hours or so."  This time, the doctor looked at me sternly and said that baby should only be feeding every three to four hours at this age, and that I put him at risk for obesity later in life if he continues to gain weight so quickly.  Now, again, maybe I'm wrong, but it's been my experience that breastfeed babies get chubby early on, maybe even more so than their formula fed peers.  But that it all evens out as babies grow and move, learning how to crawl and walk.  It was so frustrating how condescending the doctor was -- especially when I told him that I wasn't concerned, that I appreciated his advice but that's not the way we do things. 

I recently moved from a very crunchy part of the country to the midwest, so this is culture shock to me.  When my daughter was a very chubby breast fed infant, her peds never said a word about obesity, etc. 

I'm thinking of writing the doctor a letter about his advice to not nurse my baby as much, to give him a little more info. about breastfeeding. 

Also, I feel like I'm well informed enough to dismiss his concerns, but at the same time -- well -- I feel a little bit of self doubt now.  Am I doing things right? 

Thanks for reading.

Kimberly (30), DH (33), Mama to DD 9/2/2007 & excited for June 2011!
#2 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. If this is better posted elsewhere, please let me know that too. :)  

Kimberly (30), DH (33), Mama to DD 9/2/2007 & excited for June 2011!
#3 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM

I don't have advice, but wanted to say your baby sounds like a normal bf'ing baby to me. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I do like your idea of sharing some info with the dr. about the facts on breastfeeding. Like, how it is digested differently than formula, for one. So a breastfed baby may need to eat a bit more often.

#4 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindaisie View Post

This time, the doctor looked at me sternly and said that baby should only be feeding every three to four hours at this age, and that I put him at risk for obesity later in life if he continues to gain weight so quickly.  Now, again, maybe I'm wrong, but it's been my experience that breastfeed babies get chubby early on, maybe even more so than their formula fed peers.  But that it all evens out as babies grow and move, learning how to crawl and walk.  It was so frustrating how condescending the doctor was -- especially when I told him that I wasn't concerned, that I appreciated his advice but that's not the way we do things. 

I'm thinking of writing the doctor a letter about his advice to not nurse my baby as much, to give him a little more info. about breastfeeding. 

Also, I feel like I'm well informed enough to dismiss his concerns, but at the same time -- well -- I feel a little bit of self doubt now.  Am I doing things right? 

Not in exclusively breastfed infants. I'd be looking for a new doctor.

If you are stuck with him I'd just come prepared with your evidence to the contrary and ask him to provide you with studies that say that exclusively breastfed infants with rapid weight gain are at risk for obesity. The studies that mention rapid weight gain in infants (that I've read) don't differentiate between exclusively breastfed infants, infants bottlefed breastmilk, formula fed infants, and either type also fed solids--though they all seem to advice vigilance in nutrition and delaying solids to at least 6 months.  I've also came across studies that said that strict schedule fed infants (contrary to hunger cues) tend to have issues with slow weight gain and growth.

"Too Rapid Weight Gain" With Breastfeeding Only at Breastfeeding ...

Breastfeeding and the Fast-Gaining Baby - La Leche League ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=growth+chart+for+breastfeeding+infant&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM

I can't help with resources, but I would like to chime in and say what your ped should have: Congratulations, mama, you're doing a great job!

transylvania_mom likes this.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#6 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
I would like to chime in and say what your ped should have: Congratulations, mama, you're doing a great job!

Me too!!!

thumbsup.gif

#7 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM

have you plotted on the WHO growth charts yet? do that, then run from this doctor because they are not breast-feeding friendly

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#8 of 19 Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure that giving him info on breastfeeding is going to do any good. Now I don't know him at all, but from your description, he sounds like the type of doctor that would be irked to have someone that didn't go to medical school try to tell him how to do his job. That seems like a pretty common trait with doctors, OBs and pediatricians especially. It might make him even more belligerent towards you. I'd also look for a new doctor. Or if you have to stick with him, just nod and smile, and then go home and do what you know is right. I'm all for informing people about the benefits of breastfeeding, but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

And like everyone else said, you are doing great!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#9 of 19 Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 PM

I really think it depends on the baby and how big your baby will be as an adult.

My kids will most likely be small, they were born at 4,2 and 5,6  (36.5 weeks gest.) and were 8 and 9.5 lbs at two months.  They have never really been chubby babies, either, and are EBF.

Just my two cents.

#10 of 19 Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

My first thought was WOW that's a big baby! However I still wouldn't change a thing. Scheduled feeding for an EBF infant just baffles me! He's only 10 weeks old WTH is "by this age"?

JW how big was he at birth?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#11 of 19 Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM

You are definitely doing things right! My baby was 15 pounds at 2 months too - and he has actually beat the growth curve and is now off the charts at 9 months and 25.5 lbs (on the WHO breastfed baby charts).    My pedi has never once made a comment about feeding too much (and he's not even crunchy).  He does joke about how big my baby is, and our old pedi used to call me the "dairy queen", but both of them have supported the fact that we just had a big baby, and that it wasn't because I was feeding him too much.

In terms of educating the doc about breastfeeding, you'll have to gauge his or her personality.  It might make things mighty miserable if it's taken the wrong way...or you could help other Mom's who don't have the confidence you do if you are able to change the way the practice views breastfeeding.  If you were to do it, I would be in touch with the manager of the office, and comment that you got some unfriendly advice.  It may be that it's just your doctor who is misinformed, or it could be a bad attitude throughout the practice.  I would go from there and think about what the best choice would be. 

HTH!

sosurreal09 likes this.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#12 of 19 Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 AM

It's true that many doctors are irked by information from patients, but some are open to new information.  Even if you're changing doctors, you might want to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a paper or two (it helps to print them out).  If he's open to your input, you might develop a wonderful relationship.  If not, you can change doctors!  Some of the older (and even many younger MDs who trained at more 'traditional' programs) really don't know anything about breastfeeding -- they're just quoting what they've heard, largely derived from the formula fed baby experience.  I recently had a very telling discussion with a couple of MDs, who didn't know such basic things as (1) the baby latches onto the areola, not the nipple, (2) that pain during breast feeding isn't normal and something to be endured by those heroic souls who wish to continue breastfeeding until their nipples toughen up.  They just don't teach this stuff in medical school. 

Anka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I'm not sure that giving him info on breastfeeding is going to do any good. Now I don't know him at all, but from your description, he sounds like the type of doctor that would be irked to have someone that didn't go to medical school try to tell him how to do his job. That seems like a pretty common trait with doctors, OBs and pediatricians especially. It might make him even more belligerent towards you. I'd also look for a new doctor. Or if you have to stick with him, just nod and smile, and then go home and do what you know is right. I'm all for informing people about the benefits of breastfeeding, but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

And like everyone else said, you are doing great!

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#13 of 19 Old 08-27-2011, 07:43 PM

My EBF baby was 7 lb 2 oz at birth, 18 lbs at 4 months, and then his weight gain rapidly fell off after 9 months because he became mobile and too busy to stop and eat as much.  He's been about 40% for height and weight for awhile now and he's 2.5 yo.  I've been to two peds and neither gave me any trouble about his quick early gain or him falling off the growth curves later on.  Everything you said sounds very normal for a BF baby.  I would listen to your mommy instinct first and foremost.  Find a new ped if you can, or if not I would ask what differences the Dr. sees between BF and FF babies as far as eating habits, growth, etc.  If he/she says none then I would be alarmed.

I think there is a WHO growth curve for EBF babies somewhere online.  Might be worth looking up to see how your kiddo falls on it. 

P.S. My mom was told to stop BF my brother in the seventies because he was gaining weight too fast.  I believe he was less than a month old.  If your ped is older or just old school he might be equally misinformed.

Good luck, and congratulations on your big healthy baby! 

#14 of 19 Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 PM

My LO was 8'8" at birth and was probably 15 lbs at 3 -4 months or so.  He is currently 1 yr old and over 30 lbs....i dont have documented research at my fingertips at the moment - but werent there some studies done that say EBF babies are less likely to be obese as adults?  their guts get all the correct flauna and flora that it needs, also many bottle fed babies are forced to finish their bottles  (if there is an ounce or so left, well meaning parents will encourage baby to finish the whole thing....)   and that can eradicate the 'no thank you , im full.'  response that we are born with.   - OK im simplifying here - but anyone else hear of a study about this? 

and OP - whether the study is true or not - your Ped is wrong....ditch him now and enjoy feeding your nice fat little baby!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#15 of 19 Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 AM

Yeah it has def been proven BF babes have a way less chance of being obese! Mrs. Obama was even trying to push BFing to end obesity before everyone flipped out and basically wouldn't let her continue (as far as I know)...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#16 of 19 Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamehenry View Post

I think there is a WHO growth curve for EBF babies somewhere online.  Might be worth looking up to see how your kiddo falls on it. 

Here are the WHO charts in kg and pounds.

#17 of 19 Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Find a new doc if possible. My DS weighed 5lb 10oz at birth, 15lbs at 2 months, 20lbs at 4 months and 31lbs at 12 months and is not obese. He was exclusively breastfed until 11 months (aka no solids!). The peds I saw never found that strange but congratulated me on his weight gain and healthiness. He is now 3 years old and only weighs 36lbs - he grew a ton length-wise but not weight-wise, and is leaning out.

#18 of 19 Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi, I'd like to add my experience with breastfeeding 2 kids; they were both born at 7lbs and a couple oz, they were both EBF and chubby (90 percentile). Now ds is a skinny 6 y/o, and dd just started to slim down a bit.

Your doctor is giving you dangerous advice.

caffix.gif

#19 of 19 Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM

What a load of BS!  Heck, my formula-fed baby ate every 2 hrs at that age, that's just how often she was hungry and I wasn't about to refuse.  Now at almost 6 months she eats every 3-3.5 hrs typically.  I thought it was common knowledge that eating smaller amounts more frequently is better (for babies and everyone else too IMO) and that you should follow baby's cues rather than a schedule.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page