Hospital ER giving incorrect discharge instructions -- need references and to whom should I send letters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had to take my dd2 to the ER yesterday. She's almost 4 and is fully weaned, and my third child, so at least the bad advice printed on the discharge sheets didn't affect us, but I really want to write letters with references to refute the following wrong advice:

Under "General Information on a Fever":

1) Rest and drink plenty of fluids . . . Children less than one year old, for the first 12 to 24 hours, usually do best with:

A) diluted formula (mix one part "ready to drink" formula with one part water) or

B) Pedialyte. Pedialyte is a special salt solution for young children ("Gatorade for babies"). It can be found in the infant formula section of most grocery stores.

C) After 12 to 24 hours, breast milk or regular strength formula is usually best.

SO --

1) Does anyone have AAP, scientific paper references, etc. that I can use to write this letter? I.e. material that doctors and hospital administrators will actually pay attention to?

2) Which doctors and hospital administrators should receive a copy of this letter? I want to make sure it gets to the right people -- any BTDT experience?

BTW, this is all apparently boilerplate -- there's a (c) 2005 Wellsoft, Elsevier, Gold Standard notation at the bottom -- so I'm sure this is not the only hospital ER disseminating this nonsense!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 AM

the WHO has a good one on breastfeeding for dehydration and there are several studies too. nak so will stop by later.

ps grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! to bad advice!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Good grief!

I would send it to the Director of Emergency Medicine, the ED Nurse Manager, the Director of Paediatrics and the paediatrics Nurse Manager. If you have enough energy you could send it to Elsevier as well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Seriously, double take there....  so that really implies not to breastfeed for the first 12-24 hours???

Wow.  

I'd start simple though--  I'd think that's a huge error that may easily be corrected- it's just so ridiculous- like they left a whole section out that explained to keep nursing.   I'm not sure you need all the back up etc..  Just say it caught your eye (and I'd had that I had to read it like 3-4 times to realize what it was really saying).  Maybe you'll get some one that agrees with you and ask to be followed up with if they say they will fix it.   And if they don't jump on it, then get together more info and take steps.

Maybe I'm naive to hope there was some sort of copy/paste compilation error... but it sure doesn't make any sense at all.

Hope everything is all okay now with your family.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM

I agree with Jessica to just talk to them first and see if it is some kind of accidental omission. But if they don't agree to correct it, talk to a patient advocate and see who should get a copy of your info. Specify that you would like a response saying that they got the info, and what they are going to do.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breast milk is considered a clear liquid, isn't it? It is often okayed up to four hours before surgery, and I can't imagine not breast feeding for 12-24 hours.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

User Tag List