I was asked to cover up in Safeway - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am livid.  I was asked to cover up while feeding my daughter in the Safeway Starbucks cafe area.  I am in Oregon and know that I am allowed to bf in the cafe, but I can't even think straight right now and don't know where to begin.  I plan to call corporate and report the manager who asked me to cover up.  Does anyone know if the law protects me in the instance of flashing a bit of boob while bf'ing?  Should I pursue this?

I live in a small community and only have two options for grocery stores.  Safeway will no longer be one of them.

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#2 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM

"Forty-five states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location. (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon..." http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389

So by law you had the right to nurse your baby! I wish I was in Oregon, you should host a nurse in! What is the store address? We can attack with e-mail complaints.

So sorry this happened to you! I would have told them to call the cops on me. What a jerk!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM

In OREGON?? Wow! I expected that down South here, but ... wow. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that! I'd throw down for sure. Wish I was close enough to do a nurse-in with you!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#4 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

The Safeway address is 2249 Cascade Ave, Hood River, OR 97031.  I have a call into the state of Oregon DHS. I'm not exactly sure what her position is, but I was pointed in her direction, so hopefully she will return my call and be able to help.  I also called the Safeway district office in Portland and was given the district manager's phone number who is in charge of Hood River.

Even though I was only asked to cover up and not leave, I am still in the right, correct?

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#5 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonduck View Post

Even though I was only asked to cover up and not leave, I am still in the right, correct?

No matter the law, you are in the right. It's your baby's right to breastfeed anytime, anywhere.

Stay strong, Mama - you and your baby did nothing wrong, and everything right. Congratulations for breastfeeding in public and being part of the society that we need. I'm sorry this has happened to you, and hope that it results in education for staff and managers.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Hey,

I hope everyone is writing their letters and cc'ing corporate.  Safeway is a Fortune 100 company, and also owns  312 Vons stores in Southern California and Nevada, 112 Randalls and Tom Thumb stores in Texas, 37 Genuardi's store in the Philadelphia area, as well as 17 Carrs stores in Alaska. If she doesn't get an appropriate response, we can all stage local nurse ins ;)

Anka

sosurreal09 likes this.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page