Feeling depressed with how society looks down on breastfeeding in public... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't posted in a while because I feel that I don't receive enough support from other mothers in here but today is one of these days that I really need it.

I'm just overall depressed. Everday I stumble upon something (a friend's post in a social network, or an article or whatever) about the negativity of breastfeeding in public or just generally negative about it. It makes me really mad.

I HATE the feeling of being unsure if I should nurse my daughter in a restaurant  BUT I always do it anyways or having to nurse my daughter in private at a friend's house because her mothers doesn't want neighbor kids to see.

I'm crying and feel really frustrated. I look at my daughter and I see the joy in her eyes when she latches on. I even posted it on page on a social network and VERY few commented/praised it. I was hoping that I would get like 25 comments on how beautiful it is but I only got 2 comments. I just don't understand why society thinks it is OK to circumcise penis but breastfeeding is not.

The Joy of Nursing Gabby.jpg

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM

hug2.gifI totally understand. I've been nursing my DD for a little over 2 years and still feel uncomfortable nursing in public, though like you, I still do it anyway. I think one of the reasons breastfeeding is so frowned upon (other than OMG it's a nipple!) is that most people only see nursing as a feeding mechanism. It's a way to feed your kid until they are old enough to eat solids. The emotional and psychological needs that it fulfills for both mother and child is something that is just not promoted enough, imho. And, therefore, it is lost to most people. This has become more and more evident to me as I now face not only the stigma of public breastfeeding, but also the stigma of breastfeeding a toddler. I used to get looks of annoyance and irritation, but now they've turned into vehement glares of disgust. Admittedly, sometimes it's hard to not wither under such heated gazes. But then I look down at my daughter and see how comforted and connected she is and I say to hell with what anyone else thinks. This is beautiful, this is perfect, this is how it is supposed to be.

Happily married to the love of my life and proud AP, cosleeping, breastfeeding, unschooling, babywearing mommy to The Great Zozilla
#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 PM

VroomieMama,

That is a beautiful picture. Thank you for posting it. I come from a long line of nursing mommas. I breastfed in the malls; I breastfed on the beach; I breastfed in restaurants. If anyone ever suggested I should go to the "Ladies Room" to do so, I asked them if they would like their dinner served in the toilet. The restroom or the lounge outside it are neither places I'd want to eat and certainly not places to feed a baby or child of any age.

I used a cardigan or baby blanket to maintain privacy and modesty. There are a lot of good options these days. If someone is distressed by the sight or sound of a baby suckling they need to get a life. You are doing the best for your baby. Keep it up, Mama.

#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. The picture I posted is one of my favorite.

Nov 6th, I'm having a nursing picture taken by a professional & I'm really excited.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomieMama View Post

I haven't posted in a while because I feel that I don't receive enough support from other mothers in here but today is one of these days that I really need it.

The Joy of Nursing Gabby.jpg

I completely understand about the support.  I think the picture is absolutely beautiful.  My son is 26 months and I still nurse on demand, anywhere he wants.  Good for you.  Maybe on these type of days... try to hit a LLL meeting.  I went to one today, just moved to a new area and feel great about sitting with another mama nursing her toddler. 

'09   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page