Rhode Island "bans the bag!" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

joy.gifjoy.gif

Here's the article I just read: 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/free-infant-formula_n_1119042.html?ref=parents 

Basically, the birthing hospitals in the state all agreed together to stop handing out free formula samples.  If a mother needs formula, it will be provided (but at a charge obviously to be included on the mother's bill). 

Too bad there's no way to tag someone in a post here-  I'd love to hear whether MamaJake thinks this will be stronger, in the end, than attempting this legislatively.  There's no one for the formula manufacturers to sue over a law; and no politicians for them to bribe.  On the other hand, any of the hospitals (or all of them) could back out, should they choose to do so, at any time ....

Kudos to all the lactivists who have been involved in the "Ban the Bag" campaign; it looks like we now have a state-wide bag ban in place.  Let's see whether this provides the motivation for other states to start (re)considering the bag ban proposals and implementing them in their own states. 

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Not all who wander are lost.
#2 of 5 Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Wow, that's GREAT!   Thanks for sharing.

#3 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM

I live in RI and there has been a lot of opposition to this.  I'm hearing everything from "Taking away a woman's right to choose", "Making mom's feel guilty who formula feed", "Pushing views on mom's", "Punishing mom's who formula feed".  Unbelievable, this is about the health of babies people, not your feelings!  Most are just misinterpreting it entirely, and gloss right over "Formula will still be available to new mothers who experience difficulties with breastfeeding."  Anyways, yay RI!

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I live in RI and there has been a lot of opposition to this.  I'm hearing everything from "Taking away a woman's right to choose", "Making mom's feel guilty who formula feed", "Pushing views on mom's", "Punishing mom's who formula feed".  Unbelievable, this is about the health of babies people, not your feelings!  Most are just misinterpreting it entirely, and gloss right over "Formula will still be available to new mothers who experience difficulties with breastfeeding."  Anyways, yay RI!

Yeah, it's strange.  I RARELY post any breastfeeding stuff on FB but I did this article because I felt it was positive and neutral.  Some one piped up right away about how they loved getting the bag and it saved them from having to go out and buy a can of formula and how it helped them while they were pumping?!  She breastfed her kids as far as I knew but I guess in those early days they supplemented.  I simply replied that moms could ask for formula is they'd like it.shrug.gif

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#5 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was just read the following last night:

Quote:
Interestingly, the third world seems to be more savvy about how corporations push formulas on expectant mothers. The dramatic rise in mortality among formula-fed babies in developing nations has induced some professionals to initiate changes to combat the invasion of Western infant-feeding practices. For example, in Papua New Guinea, a prescription is now needed to buy a baby bottle. In the Philippines, hospitals now forbid formula-feeding and promote breast-feeding. As a result, fewer staff have been needed to prepare bottles and less electricity has been used to sterilize equipment. The hospitals estimated they saved over $10,000 in one year from their new program. Most important, there have been rapid decreases in infant illness. Other hospitals around the world, such as one in Quito, Ecuador, have copied the Philippine initiative.

Source: the book Our Babies, Ourselves, How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent by Meredith F. Small

It seems Rhode Island is savvy also. 

Tags
Lactivism

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page