Web MD - Baby Death Linked to Formula - Outdated Info About Formula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading on Web MD about the baby death that is believed to be linked to formula from WalMart. There was a link on the article about how to choose formula. I decided to read it. I am often disappointed with the poor information given in Web MD articles and this one upset me as I expected.

The whole tone of the article was formula is just as good as breastmilk, "formula provides all the nutrients a baby needs." The advice on soy based formula is out of date. The AAP now recommends soy based formula in certain circumstances - babies that have rare genetic diseases like galactosemia or a true diagnosis of lactose intolerance.

She says  good ways to choose what formula to use is by asking your friends and family or by using samples. I think formula is an intervention that should be discussed with your baby's health care provider. She then says all formulas are the essentially the same.

She says to feed the baby as much as he wants. We know bottle fed babies can't control intake and can take in more than their needs because of their sucking drive. This can cause the baby to be overweight or even obese. A new problem in the last decade or so is health problems begining in babies and toddlers that are obese because their mothers fed them too much by bottle.

Can it be said all regular milk based formulas are the same? They have to meet the same requirements. If they are the same why do hcp and parents change formula from one regular formula to another regular formula because the baby has problems with one? I don't think the expensive formula companies would like this message.  

I email WebMD, the author, or the doctor that reviewed the article when I read articles like this. I provide sources like the AAP to back up what I am saying in my email. Sometimes it works and WebMD pulls the article or updates it. I've written hundreds of emails to different web sites and organizations over the last 20 years that I have had a computer.

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/bottle-feeding-9/baby-formula

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Tags
Lactivism

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page