Asked to move at YMCA while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas!

My two littlest kids were at child watch at our local Y, my 10 month old was upset so I said to the care provider that I was going to nurse him to see if he would calm down, as I was sitting in a chair in the room. 

She asked me to move to the infant area (and turn the chair) or the rest room. I asked why and she said other parents had complained about their children seeing mothers breastfeed there. At this point I simply moved and nursed the baby because he was upset. The lady wh asked me to move left the room and was still gone when I went back out to the gym. 

Later, when I came back to pick them up She was there and I tried to explain that it was offensive, and illegal, to make me move. We debated back and forth for a while then she asked if I would like to speak to the branch director. I said I would. 

The first thing this guy asked me was "were you at least covered up with a blanket?" no, I wasn't. He said he had never encountered a complaint like this before and would do some research and get back to me. I repeated the Georgia law regarding breastfeeding in public to him and left. 

He called a couple hours later and started the conversation by saying, "I'm sorry you were offended and you were right, the law does protect you." Perfect! That's what I wanted - an apology and acknowledgement of law. BUT he continued, "but, we have to right to ask you to move as long as we provide reasonable accommodation." Uh oh. No, bud, you're wrong.  We went back and forth over this for several minutes when he said, "why did you find it necessary to breastfeed in front of 20 other children?" I was, and am, terribly offended by this question - I felt like he was implying that I was doing something wrong, or inappropriate, or gross.  I asked why I couldnt just feed my baby without being harassed. 

I dont know what to do next... 

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened at a YMCA: http://notlikeacat.blogspot.com/2010/07/nursing-mom-kicked-out-of-woburn-ymca.html

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#3 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM

I worked at a YMCA in Kentucky in the child watch room and openly nursed ds who was at the time about 18 months- no one said anything to me...

I am not good at these situations but I am glad you stood up for yourself. 

I don't know the laws but it seems like you do. I would write a letter of complaint to the board there at the y- all ymca s I believe have a board- my dad was on his for years.

Then I would contact YMCA international or whatever- the higher up is. Gosh- you were in a daycare room. I am so sorry this happened to you.... how awful

Good for you for being strong and sticking up for yourself and your nursing child.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM

I just read the blog post and letter I would use that letter as a template and write a similar one- outlining the law. You can breastfeed in that room and children should see breastfeeding mothers- you will not damage them by breastfeeding- many of those kids probably were breastfeeding. So sad when it is supposed to be a family friendly place.

I would forward that letter to the board, and higher up.

How awful.

I would also alert the media if this is not resolved.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM

I am sorry this happened to you.  I don't have any advice but you should not feel gross!  You didn't do anything wrong.  I really don't get that feeding a baby is inappropriate for children headscratch.gif.  I would love to see some people here show up with a logical and powerful comeback to that comment. 

I wonder if it's valuable to "nicely" push back about the "we can ask you to move" comment.  I'm trying to find some good analogies.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#6 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

He called a couple hours later and started the conversation by saying, "I'm sorry you were offended and you were right, the law does protect you." Perfect! That's what I wanted - an apology and acknowledgement of law. BUT he continued, "but, we have to right to ask you to move as long as we provide reasonable accommodation."

He did NOT apologize for what the provider did/said; he say he was sorry you were offended. I would mention that when you write your letter to whomever signs his paychecks.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Can you email me at jchase@mediaworkswest.com about your incident at the Y pool? I'm compiling a list of incidents for a group of moms who want to take on the Y at the national (and international) level to address the ongoing harassment of breastfeeding women in their facilities. Thanks,

-- Jodine Chase

phathui5 likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

I personally recommend you refrain from informing someone that you are about to breastfeed. Why ask for permission, even implicitly?
#9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Good for you for standing up for yourself! I'm sorry that happened to you.

#10 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

He called a couple hours later and started the conversation by saying, "I'm sorry you were offended and you were right, the law does protect you." Perfect! That's what I wanted - an apology and acknowledgement of law. BUT he continued, "but, we have to right to ask you to move as long as we provide reasonable accommodation." Uh oh. No, bud, you're wrong.  We went back and forth over this for several minutes when he said, "why did you find it necessary to breastfeed in front of 20 other children?" I was, and am, terribly offended by this question - I felt like he was implying that I was doing something wrong, or inappropriate, or gross.  I asked why I couldnt just feed my baby without being harassed. 

I dont know what to do next... 

This is way late, but for other Mama's the answer to the pervy sounding question of: "why did you find it necessary to breastfeed in front of 20 other children?" is the law says I can feed my child whenever, however. End of topic

#11 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Was your older child playing in the room you were in? I'm not sure I understand the issue with feeding the baby in the infant room.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Lactivism

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page