Positive feedback you've received about breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In contrast to the recent post "Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding", I thought it would be great to share some positive stories of comments received while breastfeeding.

For me, it happened while I was waiting to have my 6 week post partum check up.  The doctor's office was running behind and DS quickly got the fussies.  I latched him on he was happy to suckle away for the next hour while I waiting for my appointment.

During that time, nursing him was like a magnet and one by one a stream of other women would stop by, say hello and chat to me about my son and babies in general.  The sweet irony is that several of the women said they did not have kids themselves but had a niece/nephew etc that they were fond of.

All the while DS was oblivious and happy to hang out at my breast (as was his favourite place to be for the first couple of months of his life).

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

During a recent hospitalization for gastroenteritis the emergency room physician told the nurse that my little one's blood work looked so good because he is nursing.

DS is 21 months old and this same doctor said that the only reason he wasn't transferred to the children's hospital was because he was doing remarkably well and was only slightly dehydrated from the days of vomiting - because he nursed often through the illness.

I was impressed (albeit surprised) by his enthusiasm. It's nice to come across a doctor who really values breastfeeding.

#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM

I typically get a lot of people saying "the longer the better" when they find out I'm still nursing my 2 year old. About a year ago I was working as a waitress and one of my tables was a couple and their 2 year old daughter, who was showing all the classic signs of wanting to nurse (sucking her thumb while trying to shove her hand down mama's shirt, mostly.) The woman seemed a bit flustered and embarrassed, so  I told the mama that my DD did the exact same thing and I guessed that her toddler must be ready for nap time. She seemed really surprised that I caught that, and she admitted that yeah it was past nap time and her daughter usually nursed down. I made a point to compliment her heartily for continuing to breastfeed beyond infancy and said that more mothers ought to follow her lead, and that I wish there were more mothers of older babies and toddlers who felt comfortable nursing in public. She smiled and thanked me for my kind words, and I went on with my work. Then maybe 10 minutes later I went back by the table and her little one was passed out, nursing in her sleep. luxlove.gif

Super~Single~Mama likes this.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#4 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

I was at a cafe when DS was about 7 months old. The cafe used to be a store, and it has a huge display window at the front where there's a table and chairs. The friend I was meeting was already sitting there, and when I arrived, DS wanted to nurse. I was a little worried about nursing in the "store window," but I did it anyway.

An older couple crossed the street and headed toward the cafe. I saw them looking at me and I thought, 'Oh boy, here we go.' But when they came inside, the man stopped by our table and said that the site of my breastfeeding my baby was "the most beautiful thing" he had seen "all day."

PatioGardener likes this.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#5 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM

DH & I just visited our family for the Easter weekend. We were at my mom's house our last day there, and DD (14.5 months) was grabbing at me, and asking for milk. She said "PLEASE?" And my mom asked what she wanted. I told her she was asking for milk. My mom jumped up and said, "Here, let me pour some for her..." . I quickly told her thank you, but DD doesn't drink animal milks, she is still nursing. Her eyes went huge, but she said "Wow! I had no idea you could breastfeed for so long. That's amazing. She's a lucky baby, isn't she?" . luxlove.gif

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#6 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM

I had just switched to a new church because of breastfeeding troubles, so I was a little scared to nurse my daughter on Wednesday nights. I usually sit in on the youth service while my son is in Awana, and I had made a friend with an elderly gentleman and was sitting by him instead of by myself. I explained to him that I usually nurse her when the youth are worshipping (the lights are out) because people get bent out of shape about it, and if he'd rather not have me sit by him I'd understand. Well, he said he didn't know why people got so upset about it. It just baffled him. Well, he made a lifetime friend out of me! Now he looks forward to seeing us every Wednesday.

Tags
Lactivism

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page