Listen to dr or listen to my instincts on breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: when is the right time for a breastfeeding mom to introduce baby food?
4 months 0 0%
6 months 15 100.00%
9 months 6 100.00%
when the mother feels its the right time 40 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I breastfed my 5 year old til she was a year and a half old. I didn't introduce any type of solid food until 9 months because that's how it was then. I have a 5 almost 6 month old and her pediatrician berated me at our last visit because I hadn't introduced cereal into her diet at 4 months. I don't want to! I'm fine with things the way they are and so is my baby. I went ahead and tried. Mixed it with breastmilk and she wont take ot. I've been trying morning amd night for 2 weeks and still nothing. At this point it feels like a waste of breasilk. I'm afraid the dr is going to give me a hard time at our next visit. I've already had to switch pediatricians once I dont want to do it again. Advice anyone? Any advice...even better ways to try to feed her if this really what the new studies say.
#2 of 27 Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 PM

I have a nine month old and I didn't give him a single solid until after 7 months. Our doctor
Is young, up to date on current research and a huge breastfeeding advocate. She suggested we do baby led weaning and that's what we are doing. My son is doing great and he's never had cereal...yuck...no wonder your baby doesn't like it. I've never had a problem with telling my doctors whatever they wanted to hear when they're giving me silly advice.
#3 of 27 Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Run from that pediatrician! They gave you really bad advice. Sadly, nutrition and breastfeeding are not typically covered in depth as part of a pediatrician's training. Even if you go back to the same doctor, don't assume they know what they're talking about when it comes to this subject. Your instincts are correct.

Kellymom is a great resource for breastfeeding info, and you will also find tons of support if you can locate your nearest La Leche League and attend a meeting.

Found these for you:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/
Jewels* likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That's very helpful. There's got to be a la leche league near me.
#5 of 27 Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Yeah, I don't think there should be an exact set time for solids. 6 months is more of a guideline. The baby starts reaching for stuff and putting it into his mouth eventually, and you just have to watch it happen. We started solids with my son at around 5 months, when he seemed into it.

Whatever. Don't worry about your next doctor's appointment. If he's really keen on the idea of your baby having some cereal with breastmilk, just lie and say you give the baby a little cereal! As long as your baby is growing, how will he know the difference?

#6 of 27 Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Go with instincts, for sure!

And cereal is such an old fashioned recommendation, jeez!  (ok, it was the first thing that I fed our son, but that's because I didn't realize at the time....)

Artekah is right, too.  Its not really the peds fault.... they really don't receive specific training in breastfeeding, etc, so if you feel up to trying to educate and enlighten, go for it.

Beansmommy 87 likes this.
#7 of 27 Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not an option listed, but I vote for when the BABY feels it is the right time.
Mind you this is more than just the baby grabbing food. Babies will grab for steak knives and cigarettes!
Taking into account all the other factors (sitting up unassisted, pincer grasp, no tongue thrust, etc)

This was 11m for my oldest and 9m for my youngest.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 27 Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM

I got the same outdated wrong advice about mixing in cereal a few months ago! This is definitely NOT the latest and is not based on any science at all.  I did some reading about it even though I'd already succumbed and tried a little cereal (sorry I don't have links handy).

Here's the basic idea: There is no reason to start with cereal or to start it early anymore. Apparently doctors used to advise mixing baby cereal into formula because it was too hard to get iron into the formula, and babies need iron, but it was easy to get it into cereal (back in the golden days of formula-feeding when women were told things like breastmilk wasn't nutritious enough for growing babies). So the cereal advice used to make sense for babies fed exclusively the old kinds of formula, but never applies to EBF babies, and doesn't apply for formula-fed babies anymore either. In other words, it has nothing to do with you or your baby. It's annoying not to be able to rely on doctors for this basic stuff, and that they aren't even current on the research or basic nutrition recommendations. I haven't changed pediatricians either, but I now get my nutrition info elsewhere.

On the (imo) unrelated question of when to start solids, I agree with everyone else -- why not follow the baby's lead, or yes, use your instincts. It's not as if you'll miss the window of opportunity or anything, and not all babies are ready for things at the same time (applies to ALL developmental changes including eating different kinds of things). Besides, you have experience with this -- your firstborn is healthy and eats, right ;) ? 

Btw if your doc starts talking about allergies and prevention, or even if he doesn't there is apparently new science on that and recommendations might be worth looking into if you have allergies in the family. 

#9 of 27 Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM

It sounds like you have some good advice...but I will add mine just for volume...

I think cereal is a horrible first food. I think fruit is a better first food. simply because they can feed themselves. Also because it is raw...banana, avocado, watermelon. None of those give the horrible (perhaps painful) poops that processed cereal gives. (and the cereal bought in stores...have you tried it!)

At six months, we started with the meshy feeder or cheese cloth because we were nervous. By nine months they were feeding themselves and there was little worry. I mean, there is still the learning to eat and the choking and gagging that comes from that but there is more dexterity. A friend of mine has had a heck of a time with her baby. She waited until her baby was 9months and her baby is a wonderfully fat baby who eats well.

It is not crucial that you start food at 6 months. some start at 4 and some start at 9...There are kids that need to wait. You know who knows, YOU...

I have gone through several pediatricians. I like the one I have now...only because he is super old school (he was around before disposable diapers so he knows what different rashes look like with cloth diapers) and he reacts amazingly well when the children are ill, say on New Years Eve and I have to crash his NYE party and he tends to my kid while his guests mill around in the next room.. But when it comes to everyday things, I arm myself with knowledge and make decisions with what they say in mind. It creates a balance and I make decisions...not based on fear but knowledge. It is so hard to do when they are so young. At any rate, I have noticed that the docs that push the cereal and the vaccine also push the early weaning...or at the very least don't tend to think that baby led anything is valid. (I had a firm argument with my previous pediatrician about breastfeeding...my final word on the matter was: "Listen, I have only been doing this for a little less than a year...he has been doing this his WHOLE life. Don't you think that makes him an expert on breastfeeding?" She didn't appreciate it.)

I'm not sure if it was helpful...just thought I would say...go with your baby's instinct.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#10 of 27 Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM

Oh, arsenic poisoning! here's one more possible reason NOT to start with rice cereal 

http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2012/09/19/new-concerns-over-baby-rice-cereal-and-arsenic-levels/

(apologies for the horrible sensationalistic parenting-nightmare source, I followed a link from someplace reasonable, but try not to look at the links at the bottom of the page)

#11 of 27 Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM

It sounds to me like it's time for a new pediatrician. Your doctor has no place berating you.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 AM

Actually on the news last week they were talking about how now the new recommendations is to start baby on meats first not cereal after 6 months. I agree with others to just say "yep gave baby some solids" end of discussion, unless you want to educate your Dr. on the new recommendations :)

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#13 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM

irked.gif That pediatrician is a dingbat.  If you don't want to switch again, then stand up for yourself with research or just lie to get him/her off your back.  I wouldn't waste anymore milk on nutrition-less cereal. I hope you can find a LLL nearby!

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#14 of 27 Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM

How's it going, OP?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#15 of 27 Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM

I didn't vote in the poll.  I'm inclined to say "when the mother feels it's the right time," but some mothers think that one month or one week is the right time.  I would say "when the mother feels it's the right time, as long as the baby is *at least* 6 months old."  I think, in general, 9 months would be better and 12 months would be even better.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#16 of 27 Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM

I voted "when mom thinks its the right time" but what I really mean is when the baby shows signs of readiness, probably around the middle to second half of the first year of life. smile.gif

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#17 of 27 Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM

I chose 6 months, but really what I meant is "When the mother feels it's right, after 6 months", because I do feel it's important to wait until then.

I would find a new pedi asap. Cereal isn't even good for babies, at ANY age, and certainly not at 4 months.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#18 of 27 Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM

We did Child-Led-Solids, and 6 months is when HE decided he was ready(as in, no longer watching us eat, trying to grab it and fussing and such). His first solid was a large piece of apple. He still loves apples to this day :)

#19 of 27 Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM

That doc gets an F. For Fired. Berating over anything is bad, but recommending something that is soooo not the best thing is awful.

Sustainer likes this.
#20 of 27 Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM

I voted for 6 and 9 months because on average most babies are probably ready somewhere in between there, but really it's whenever baby is ready.

#21 of 27 Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM

I voted for 6 months, because most babies are ready *around* that time, but I think you need a "When BABY thinks the time is right" choice.  The best time to start solids is when your LO shows signs of readiness - sitting up on own, grabbing items & able to bring them to her mouth, becoming interested in whatever strange thing you're doing with that stuff on your plate.  2 of my 3 started themselves by grabbing food off my plate.  The 3rd we offered because his twin sister was getting solids & it was just easier to let them both make a mess in high chairs (he wasn't really interested until closer to 9 months, which was just fine, but he had fun playing & feeding the dogs ;-).  When baby is ready is the best time to start, not when some doctor or book or your mother-in-law or whoever says.  And before about a year, your milk provides exactly the nutrition your growing baby needs.  There's no magic window & no such thing as starting too late (not like baby is going to refuse to eat forever if you don't start by some specific date).  And agree w/ the previous comments that rice cereal is never ever needed, and probably best to avoid.  Babies need real food, just like adults do!

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#22 of 27 Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM

I think once baby is capable of picking up the food, getting the food to their own mouth and chewing and swallowing that is the right time. 

Babies do sometimes get short of iron around 6-9 months especially if their cord was clamped and cut early at birth so I wouldn't like to advise someone to stop their baby from eating, I think in a lot of ways staying out of our babies' way and letting them lead the way is the best course to take. We can make healthy foods available and avoid them from having access to unhealthy (for them) choices (for instance too much salt or sugar) by altering our own diets and allowing them to share our food.

I remember watching a video of a baby gorilla's first tastes of solid foods, which were just bits the mother dropped while eating and the mother doesn't interfere, she doesn't hand the food to the baby any more than she snatches it away. Breastfeeding is always on offer. I like this way.  

#23 of 27 Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Here's some interesting reading on why NOT to introduce rice cereal at all:

Some good info found here:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/20/get-the-white-out-of-babys-first-foods.aspx

FTR, my doc also keeps insisting that I give my DS rice cereal... I politely nod and smile and then completely disregard that recommendation :)

#24 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM

With my first, I started him when he was 6 months old. He had been showing signs of readiness for quite a while before then but I waited until the recommended 6 months time. He loved solids and was always a good eater. I still breastfed until he was 17months.

With my second, I offered him solids at 6months as well but he was not interested at all. I should have waited for signs of readiness. I attempted solids a few more times over the next few months and was stressing out about it quite abit (which seems so silly now) He wasen't interested in solids until he was 9 and a half months old and only ate extremely small "meals" until well past his first birthday. He breastfed until he was 2 months shy of 3yrs old and is a great eater now too.

I am pregnant with my third and I plan to start baby on solids when he/she is ready this time. Not stress out and rush to start at 6 months if he/she isen't ready and not to withhold solids if baby starts feeding cues earlier.

#25 of 27 Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Agreed re: rice cereal! I don't eat rice cereal, and I didn't see why I should have to make special cereal for my kid. Sometimes I eat oatmeal or some other hot cereal for breakfast; on those days, he ate it too. If I made eggs, he ate eggs. If I ate fruit and toast, he had mashed fruit (at the beginning, it's hard to feed your kid toast so we skipped that, lol).

#26 of 27 Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM

I didn't vote because we haven't done any formal "baby food". We feed food to baby (now almost 8 mos), but not anything special, just whatever we're eating (egg yolk, bacon, steak, pork chops, carrots, cucumber, avacado, etc.) He actually won't accept anything without him being the one to put it in his mouth. Even if I have something on my finger, he'll grab my hand and choose to put it in his mouth. He refuses being spoon-fed.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#27 of 27 Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Not an option listed, but I vote for when the BABY feels it is the right time.
Mind you this is more than just the baby grabbing food. Babies will grab for steak knives and cigarettes!
Taking into account all the other factors (sitting up unassisted, pincer grasp, no tongue thrust, etc)

This was 11m for my oldest and 9m for my youngest.

Ditto this!

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page