Posterior Tongue Tie 4 Months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! My little guy was diagnosed with a posterior tongue tie at 2 months. At the time both my doctor and the lactation consultant said not to clip it because he was nursing/gaining fine and it was much more invasive then a simple clip. After bouts of extreme fussiness, acid reflux and sleepless nights, I am back to the tongue tie.

My doctor said at his 4 month appt that he was not gaining enough weight. He is a pretty big boy, but his weight had slowed down and she suggested my supply was getting low. 

I spoke with another lactation consultant who said that all his problems were caused by the tongue tie and that I should get him to the ENT ASAP. He wakes at least 5 times a night to nurse and with a 2 year old as well I am just exhausted. 

Has anyone had experience with the surgery for a posterior tongue tie? I am wondering if it is too late to get him clipped. My doctor is against it and has told me stories of babies not returning to the breast post surgery. I don't have sore nipples, but my left side hardly produces now. 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Welcome.gifWelcome to MDC! I see you've posted in the breastfeeding challenges forum as well and I expect you'll get lots of responses there. In addition, there are several old threads on tongue ties in the breastfeeding challenges forum that you can search if you'd like to read more. good wishes to you and your family as you navigate this decision.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby boy had his posterior tongue tie clipped at 4 weeks old after major latching problems, painful nipples, etc. It took literally 15 seconds and he was nursing 5 minutes later. It still took him a couple of weeks to get "good" at BF but now he's doing great. No anesthesia was required and there was only 1 drop of blood. He cried for just a couple minutes, stopped even before I got him on the breast. So glad I did it.

Good luck.

User Tag List