Austin Independent School District has a policy forbidding nursing in public - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This one hits close to home for me. Austin ISD has a formal district-wide policy that essentially prohibits nursing in public, in direct contradiction with existing state law. I'm so appalled on so many levels. This isn't one business with an employee who's ignorant about the law. This is a unit of local government simply deciding not to follow the law. Austin is a wonderful, progressive, family-friendly city, and I've never once in three years of nursing here ever received anything other than support. We're better than this.

The basic plotline is that a mother of an elementary school student was told she couldn't nurse her baby on the school campus unless she went to a private room. That was about a month and a half ago. She's actually working with the group that was instrumental in getting the NIP law passed back in the 90s, and they had a long meeting with the school board, but this still isn't resolved. I hope you'll all consider signing the petition and contacting the AISD board of trustees to let them know that they need to comply with state law.

Blog- http://keepaustinnip.blogspot.com/2012/11/may-i-have-your-attention-please.html

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/KeepAustinNIP

Petition -- http://www.change.org/petitions/aisd-follow-the-law-and-respect-breastfeeding-mothers?utm_campaign=new_signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#share

Contact info for Austin ISD school board trustees: http://archive.austinisd.org/inside/board/members.phtml

From the mother's blog:

"Waiting for my son in the lobby of our neighborhood elementary school in Austin Independent School District, I was discretely nursing my baby when I was told to go to a private conference room. But I know that my right to breastfeed in public is protected by Texas law.

Sec. 165.002. RIGHT TO BREAST-FEED. A mother is entitled to breast-feed her baby in any location in which the mother is authorized to be.

I discovered that the district did not have a written policy, only a longstanding practice of doing what was done to me. Why is this a problem? Because simply asking a nursing mother to breastfeed privately implies that she is doing something wrong by breastfeeding publicly.

I wrote to my principal, then met with her. She maintained her position that nursing in the lobby is "inappropriate." Dissatisfied for myself and not wanting anyone else put in this position, I wrote to the district's superintendent's office, legal department, and board members, urging them to adopt a written policy upholding the law that protects a woman's right to nurture her child.

After five weeks of waiting, I received the "new" policy - a formalized and more rigid version of the old practice of sending nursing mothers to feed their children privately, as though feeding a baby is a shameful thing."

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#2 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is awful! Fight the good fight mama!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page