Public brestfeeding harrasment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On Saturday morning Dec 8, 2012, I was enjoying coffee with a friend and my 3 month old son at Crossroads Coffee Cafe in Gladstone, Oregon.  I was wearing a discreet nursing top, which barely shows any flesh.  I was approached by a waitress and told I was making another customer uncomfortable.  I was forced to cover my baby or stop feeding him.  I ended up walking out saying I would take my business elsewhere.  I posted a comment on facebook and the owner apologized and said she welcomes breastfeeding mothers, as long as they cover with a blanket.

Is that even legal to require covering???? It definitely is not welcoming!  Opinions please and how do I respond to that??

#2 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It doesn't matter whether she welcomes breastfeeding mothers or not; she legally has to.

Oregon's laws are not clear about whether she can require you cover up or not.

Any Oregon moms willing to go to the coffee shop and nurse the heck out of their kids?

#3 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM

I'm not sure about the legalities, but was it possible to simply have one of you change seats?
#4 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM

You can report them to the Oregon Heath Authority at 1-800-safenet. Supposedly they will contact the establishment and advise them of the law. Not sure if it will do any good but I would try it as a first step.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm sure you will get lots of support from this site and good suggestions on how to proceed.
#5 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

thank you!  i have left a message w safenet and local la leche league.

#6 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM

Good for you for being pro-active! Hopefully the owner of the shop gets set straight.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#7 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

In Oregon, a woman can breastfeed anywhere that she has a right to be.  So no, forcing you to stop nursing would be illegal. Not sure about covering up, but if it was done in a harassing or coercive way, probably also illegal...

http://public.health.oregon.gov/HEALTHYPEOPLEFAMILIES/BABIES/BREASTFEEDING/Pages/Laws.aspx

AllyFolsom likes this.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page