novia scotia BF controversy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you think of this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/12/22/ns-breastfeeding-restaurant-roccos.html

#2 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am all for BF in public and have done it countless times myself, but really, I think this woman is going a bit too far! Is it really necessary to clear the table and BF the baby at the same time? I don't really think it is a food saftey issue, but why do this? Sit down and feed the baby!

#3 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Blech...I made the mistake of reading the comments.  I agree with the ones who say it's a bad business move, but so many of the comments are just ridiculous. 

eta:  As someone who has a hard time sitting still sometimes, I totally understand the multitasking: there were times when sitting down waiting for the baby to finish nursing meant I was antsy, and trying to convince the kid to hurry up and finish, but if I was up doing something while the kid nursed in a sling, I was more relaxed, and the baby could take as long as necessary.

#4 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Hmmm, unless my baby is in a carrier, I'm not very good at nursing and clearing a table!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I really couldnt care less. Let her nurse her baby. The customers, like so many people, need education in the subject of breastfeeding. 

#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM

This is not really about breastfeeding to me. I LOVE breastfeeding. It has been the most joyous experience of My life and it would not bother me a bit, not one bit if I was eating there. But her customers obviously don't like it. I guess she's weeding out the kind of customers she doesn't want around.
#7 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM

I know this thread is a bit old but I clicked it being curious what breastfeeding controversy there could possibly be in Canada lol

I kind of agree that breastfeeding shouldn't be done while handling someone else's food or implements. Breastmilk can sometimes shoot several feet, customers have the right not to want someone's bodily fluids in their food. There are diseases which can be transmitted via breastmilk, the likelihood of diseases actually being transmitted that way are probably close to zero, but the possibility is still there.

I wouldn't call the health department on something like that myself, but if someone has a complaint about it, I don't think the health department was entirely wrong to issue the warning. 

Seems more like she is trying to promote her restaurant by calling the news than fighting for human rights. 

#8 of 8 Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 AM

How is it a food safety issue she's cleaning a table not setting a table, not delivering food i don't understand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page