post here if you've never had a problem breastfeeding in public - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#31 of 103 Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No problem here either thankfully as I NIP pretty much anytime I leave the house, DC is 8 months. I wear nursing clothes anytime I leave the house in an attempt to be discreet.  I covered once or twice in the first times but didn't like doing that as I couldn't see the airway and for someone relatively new at BF seeing the baby's face and airway is important.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 103 Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM

5 years of nursing so far and no issue with NIP ever. I also don't cover up or hide myself.

#33 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Great thread!

Almost 9 months bfing constantly in public and almost no bad reactions, except when I got to infant storytime at the library. Would you believe that its the other moms who all look at me very intently and everytime I put my head up, it's as though they were all staring at me and then they quickly look away! Ive only gone to this twice so I dont know if any other moms bf but like a pp said: I love breastfeeding in public because its the biggest advocate to change our society's perception and help everyone know its normal!! orngbiggrin.gif dd wont let me use a cover btw but I wear an under shirt so that one is covering the top of my breast while the other is covering my stomach... so you really cant see anything unless you try really hard to see like a centimeter of skin! Im sad that in all my 9 months though I have yet to see even ONE other mom BIP!! Sad for me as I would love that comradery(sp?).

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#34 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM

We're still nursing justalittlebit at 16 months, I admit I did not nurse in public very frequently, but I never had a problem when I did.  I don't consider in my own home "public", no matter who is there, but I never had a problem with any guests either.  My male relatives are always pretty quick to excuse themselves from "women's business", and if a lady nursing her female child isn't women's business, well then I guess we just don't know what is.  But I doubt they were uncomfortable, we just tend to be separate from each other in those ways.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#35 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't recall ever being harassed or ever having anyone say anything negative at all. There was one time I was worried I would as I had a large toddler on a road trip and had to nurse at a restaurant in an area I was afraid would be unhealthy. But no, no one said boo. I did get a shocked and then a bit of a dirty look once at a restaurant when the same child was about 5 months, but no words, and it was easily ignored. I think that's the only negative reaction at all.

#36 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I haven't ever been challenged breastfeeding in public.  But with my first, in the beginning it wasn't something I could easily accomplish.  I remember trying to breastfeed while waiting for a table at a restaurant, and I guess by that time I could do it, but I sort of turned toward the back of the bench and had a blanket kind of up and around my baby, although I had to take it down because I couldn't see how to latch her.  But once it was latched it was all good.  I was always worried someone would confront me, but I don't think people really paid attention.  My husband assumed I wanted people to confront me so I could argue with them.  eyesroll.gif

#37 of 103 Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

7 years of nursing, and no problems in public!  Lots of smiles and nice comments.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#38 of 103 Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I never had any problems.

One of the first times I remember taking DD out and feeding her was in the mall, I sat on bench and got her settled while DH carried on shopping. Another mum approached with her baby and sat down asking if I minded if she joined us, I had a brief moment of wondering if she was going to say something when she lifted her little one out of his pram and started feeding him.smile.gif

#39 of 103 Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

No probelms ever!

My 18yo nursed for 24 mos.  Our 1st time NIP was 7 days pp when I went to have my staples removed.  I was awkward, as a new mom, but it was the county HD and every staff member that walked by gave me a big grin.

My 11yo nursed for 60 mos.  Our last time NIP was somewhere after his 3rd bday.  By then, I was like totally making eye contact, daring ppl to step to me!  haha

So, yeah...combined total of 5 yrs NIP and never one negative experience, ever.  Go for it, new mamas!

Bring back the old MDC
#40 of 103 Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

no prblems here in Canada. But had dirty looks when travelling to Canary islands and nursing at the beach. (travelled a lot to around 10 different countries, never had problems)

I nurse in public a lot! Nursed DS1 for 2 and a half years and now nursing ds2 who is 12 mnths old.

One time I was surprised by a comment about NOT nursing!

it was last fall, in an airplane in North Africa. During landing, I was nursing ds2, who was fine. DH was taking care of DS1 (3 y.o at the time).

DS1 had very bad ear pain due to the pressure change (and would refuse a lolly pop, water, fruit etc), and screaming+++

The flight attendant came, and asked me: ''can you please nurse your older son?''

me: ''he weaned, he doesn't nurse anymore''

her: ''that's OK, can you just nurse him for the rest of the flight please?''

me: ''well, I would be happy, but he desn't know how anymore''

she was confused by what I said....

I think she just wanted the screaming to stop, but had little knowledge about breastfeeding mechanics!

I would have never expected to be asked by a stranger to please nurse my 3 y.o!

#41 of 103 Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM

No problems with other people.  We have mostly stopped nursing in public because DS is too big.  Meaning half of his body ends up on the table at restaurants, or in the lap of the person next to us on airplanes, etc.  He is 3yo and we still nurse where we can be comfy (at our house or friends' houses) if he asks, and if there is emergency comforting that needs to take place (a fall at the playground or accident of whatever kind).

We never covered for other people.  I have covered to keep my boob and his tiny face from getting sunburned though!

Nurse on mamas!

#42 of 103 Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM

I've nursed in public many times, in a carrier or wherever. My MIL made some bib-type covers for me to use but I rarely do. I was self conscious at first, now I don't care. 

#43 of 103 Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I've loved reading these posts!

I must say, a mom being asked to nurse her 3 y.o. is something I never expected to hear about!! Though it's great that the flight attendant is supportive of nursing beyond the first year!!
#44 of 103 Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM

my lo is 13 months old and still nurses happily in public.  i've nursed all around in restaurants/shops , in line at the grocery store, etc in fairfield county, CT and NYC w/o an issue, ever.  best of luck!

#45 of 103 Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM

I had more problem with family  in my own home then in public.  I just said leave the room if at my house or went into a bedroom if at grandparents.  ESP's Bubbe and Zayde (Jewish for grandparents) were both in their late 70s/early 80s and from a very different generation.  They did not understand BFing at all,but could not argue against ESP's thriving growth.

In public, I used the bebe au lait style cover up that has a firm, arced top so I could still see ESP and he could see me.  He actually liked the cover up because it helped him focus, so I ended up using it at home a lot also.  The first time was awkward because I didn't know what I was doing or the best way to cover up.  I really wanted to cover up for my own comfort.  With a ring sling or ERGO no one ever noticed.

He nursed until almost 5, though probably last NIP was at 3.  I would have nursed him longer but with his special needs he could not understand not to bite me when he went through a biting phaze.  I hated giving up such an awesome calming tool for a child that could not talk and was developmentall only 1 1/2. BFing also came in handy when he was sick and the only thing he could keep down was breast milk.  It actually kept him out of the hospital because he never got dehydrated.  But I digress.

#46 of 103 Old 03-22-2013, 04:13 PM

NEVER an issue in public. I nursed my oldest from 12/93 to 11/95, and I did it all over the mall, in restaurants, in the library, and in bookstores. People were usually very friendly, and a few times, men blushed and turned away when they realized what was going on. My youngest I've nursed since 5/2009 to the present, and never did anyone give me grief (TBH, my adrenal issues caused my breasts to grow so large after I had him, that I didn't NIP a whole lot when he was little). He is so big now, though, that he only nurses at nap time and bed time. My XMIL did say a few times way back then that I needed to "get over nursing" my oldest, whatever that meanseyesroll.gif, but that was in the privacy of my own home. LOL. 

Oh! With both boys, I never used a cover to NIP, but wore a tank underneath to pull down, and pulled my top shirt up to nurse. Nothing shows that way, and it's still pretty easy. I know for a fact that a woman nursing her baby in the exact same way was bullied and humiliated before being kicked out of a local restaurant by the owner (here in Tallahassee). The owner kept saying CRAZY things about how people in Pittsburgh don't flop their breast out in public, and she carried on for days after the incident, to customers. My neighbor sent the owner a FB message telling her to fly back to Pittsburgh on her broom. And there is some justice in the world, because that fruit loop got shut down shortly after for labor violations and tax fraud. In any case, those NIP harassment stories should never be enough to keep someone from nursing, because they are actually few and far between, and there are usually other mothers around to stick up for the nursing mom when those things do happen. I personally would NEVER stand idly by while someone was harassed in such a manner. 

#47 of 103 Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Another mommy here with zero problems/issues/negativity in public. Occasional and accidental looks of surprise--sure. However, the vast majority of folks REALLY never notice anything past the ends of their noses, kwim? Even in the mainstream, midwest area I live in, most people are very accepting of all styles of parenting (or at least keep their negative opinions to themselves, lol!). We're a "polite" people, I guess.

#48 of 103 Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM

I nursed both my children on demand, wherever we were.  I carried a nursing cover but if I had the opportunity, I would look for a quieter place.  If not, I did not make my babies wait.  I never had a true problem in public and was glad that I could be an example that breastfeeding is a wonderful natural way to feed and bond with our children.

#49 of 103 Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM

I never had a problem either and I was ready for someone to make an issue of it! 

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#50 of 103 Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Never had a problem.  Nursed all 5 children anywhere and everywhere.  My oldest is almost 20 and my youngest is two and still going strong. 

The sea monkey has my money.

#51 of 103 Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Until recently I lived in Portland, Oregon and never had an issue. I never hesitated even when we traveled. I'll admit I'm more hesitant these days. NO ONE breastfeeds in public here best I can tell. It's so weird. Just bottles, as far as you can see. The laws protecting mom's aren't as good here either and I guess I just don't feel like getting into it (it's likely I wouldn't have an issue but who knows). Not to say I don't, but I'm more likely to go out to the car. In the past I'd pop myself down on a pallet in the middle of Costco ;) I always had the attitude (and probably look on my face) that I dare anyone to say anything. Granted my babe is getting older and isn't desperately hungry or anything these days. Very different from the newborn stage where I just needed to feed them that very minute so I feel like I have some flexibility.

ETA: I'll admit a part of me has previously not understood why anyone was all that uncomfortable doing it but living here I feel more sympathy. There's just something about the culture here.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#52 of 103 Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Never had a negative reaction in public except once and it was my brother in law- we were at a restaurant and he looked over while I was nursing my then 8-mo, and very loudly goes, "Whoa! You gotta warn me before you do that!" which was pretty ridiculous considering around my in laws I nurse without a single millimeter of my breast showing (all that's out is blocked by baby/toddler head) and his wife dresses in very low-cut cleavage enhancing clothes and mini skirts (not judging at all, she's beautiful and a lovely person and her clothing choices are her own!) but yeah- most of my inlaws act like its indecent. But other than that, no one in public has ever even given me a negative look that I've seen- even when nursing at a public pool with my entire breast pulled out of my swimsuit.
My son is currently 17 mos, still nurses a TON and we are out and about a lot. Still no negativity. A few compliments here and there though.
#53 of 103 Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Still nursing my 2.5 year old in public. I have never used a cover and I have never had a problem. We have nursed on airplanes, buses, and trains, in museums and restaurants and shops, in the northeast, southeast, and midwest, and the only comments I have received from strangers have been positive. I think I am usually fairly discreet, as I wear nursing clothes and don't get out a cover, so many people often think my babe is just sleeping.  People who have personal experience with BFing seem to be the ones who notice, and they're more likely to be supportive.  The elderly people at church and at the Indiana grocery store I used to frequent were often delighted and would say things like, "oh, how precious. I had 7 little nurslings myself."  And so many people have stopped me to ask where to find a sling like mine for their granddaughter/sister-in-law/bff, etc.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#54 of 103 Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I just saw this thread when I came onto MDC to post this article.  You guys might want to chime in and support this columnist on Huffington Post.  I appreicate her putting this info out there so succinctly. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katharine-mckinney/breastfeeding-in-public_b_2814004.html

#55 of 103 Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM

I have been nursing my daughter for two years and have never had anyone say anything negative while nursing in public. I have only been approached twice, once the other mama telling me to keep up the good work and the other was a mama asking advice on feeding in a soft structured carrier smile.gif
#56 of 103 Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The only problems I ever had were 110% in my own head. I never expected to feel so self conscious! For the first few months I struggled desperately trying to keep all covered up while DS nursed. Then I realized that by draping a big ol' cover over me, causing DS to struggle and get upset because he HATED being covered up, made much more of a spectacle than my just wearing easy-access tops and using baby's body as a "cover". Usually people can't even tell he's nursing. Nobody's ever batted an eye, even seatmates on planes!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#57 of 103 Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM

I breast feed in public A LOT.  My first and now my 8 month old.  Never had a rude comment or look, only smiles.  =)  

CDing, BFing, BWing, bread-baking, animal-loving, non-stop traveling Mama of 2 sweeties, and loving every minute of it!

www.travelmother.com

#58 of 103 Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM

I've never had a problem and I have a fifteen yr old and 6, 5, 3, and 7 month old. I think my husband gets a little uncomfortable when I do it in church but I am very discreet and use a blanket too keep baby from being distracted, she is very social.

#59 of 103 Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM

I BF all of my kids, no problems. BTW, has anyone seen the Luvs diaper's commercial about breastfeeding comparing 1st children and 2nd children. It is hilarious and so true in my case.

#60 of 103 Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

I nursed my daughter for three years, and never had any comments (except once when I was using a cover in a crowded public park, someone told me not to cover up!)  I nursed in public many times, but rarely after my daughter was 2.  I nursed in semi-intimate spaces like on long airplane flights, uncovered, and no one ever said anything negative.  I did get some positive comments!

WAHM to Sofia 12/09 and angel1.gif 4/13

"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy

familybed1.gifviolin.gifBFPChart2.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page