post here if you've never had a problem breastfeeding in public - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#61 of 103 Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only been nursing 15 months, but I NIP all the time, with no cover (I do use nursing camis under shirts most of the time). Never a problem, never even a weird look. I live in the Midwest but have nursed on both coasts and in the North and south as well, in planes, trains, and boats, at Major League baseball games, in malls, at the zoo... you name it. smile.gif
#62 of 103 Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Ive never had a problem and have been breastfeeding for 3 years total between my two kids so far. I go to restaurants, travel, ball games, weddings, farmers market, cities, parks, etc. 

I'd say that I breastfeed my second in the Ergo about 75% time out of the house just for convenience so nobody ever notices. 

#63 of 103 Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

My daughter is 15 months old, and now we're down to only morning and night feedings at home, but I fed her all the time, and anywhere she needed it, until recently. I may have had a few funny looks, but never once was I approached or given a "mean" stare.

The more we do this....and act peacefully natural about feeding our children, the more it will be considered fully normal.

#64 of 103 Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM

I"ve had people throw stink eye looks but nobody has every SAID anything or kicked me out. 

http://magadociousrex.blogspot.com/  
We're a co-sleeping, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering , baby and toddler wearing family!

Roland 04/2010 30 hour labor. Vaginal but not natural birth. 

Zeisel 08/2012 15 hour labor, completely natural hospital water birth. 

goorganic.jpgtranstichel.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gifslingtwin.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifplacenta.gif

#65 of 103 Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM

I breastfed my daughter in court once! Hey, when you're hungry, you're hungry. No one has ever said anything to me for breastfeeding my child, including the judge from court, but we live in a pretty liberal city, so I don't expect anyone would. If they did, I wouldn't care.

#66 of 103 Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM

I have been NIP for five consecutive years- nursed DS until age 3, and DD still nurses at 21 months.

Initially I tried to cover up, but DS refused covers. DD only likes to nurse with my breast pulled out over my top, not with my shirt pulled up, so we just do that. I refuse to feel ashamed or immodest, as I am feeding my child. Thanks to all the mamas here on MDC, I know my rights and feel empowered to do what works for us. And that feels so good!
#67 of 103 Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 PM

I have never had any problems NIP, thankfully!

#68 of 103 Old 05-11-2013, 11:06 AM

if men are allowed to scratch their testicles in public or put their hands down their pants to adjust their "junk", and obviously not wash their hands after, i see no reason why you can't nurse your baby in public. i always used a bebe au lait (nursing) cover for my own privacy comfort but never had an issue ir stress about nursing my daughter whether on an airplane, in the middle of a shopping mall or at home. it is completely natural. i work in a medical facility and have even told my patients if they need to nurse, to feel free. there's always something people will complain about, nursing should not be one of them. i have had a few dirty looks but who cares, i just make eye contact and smile. i figure if someone has a problem, they don't have to look; just as i choose not to look at the things men do in public.
#69 of 103 Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Also never a problem here in NYC and travels through past 19 months.  Have nursed in subways, parks, restaurants, ballparks, buses, airplanes, churches, bookstores, etc.  Has been totally unremarkable.

Happy to encourage others.

#70 of 103 Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm still a new mom, but I've yet to have a problem... and I've done it uncovered.  Then again, in Utah I'm legally protected to nurse in public, covered or not.  Probably has mixed with the public view.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#71 of 103 Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Nursed my young'n for about 3 years in public (she weaned at 4).  Only covered up if it was cold or sun was too bright.  Got lots of smiles, especially when she was little and I fumbled more with getting her arranged at the breast.  I remember once having to stop in the dairy isle at the grocery store to nurse sitting on the edge of the display.  She was in one of her 1st growth spurts and I was completely unprepared for her need-to-nurse-NOW frantics.  I thought I would get negative comments or looks because I was blocking access to yogurt, but it was all smiles and people comfortably and respectfully reaching around me to get what they needed.

Then there was the time I was waiting in line at the post office and my 6 month old woke up hungry.  She was nursing quite loudly (gulping and smacking) and behind me came a sweet voice of an older woman who quietly said "You never forget that sweet sound.  I still remember feeding my little ones."  Then someone else offered me a chair and they all kept my place in line while I sat and fed my baby.

#72 of 103 Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 AM

I nursed five babies wherever and whenever they needed. (Two of mine were already past that stage when I became their mom.) The only person who ever said anything to me was my grandmother, who was shocked that I'd nurse in front of my grandfather. My grandfather didn't care.

I once asked my FIL if it bothered him, and he said he'd grown up in a farming community, and seen women plop down in the middle of the field to nurse, and that didn't bother him. wink1.gif

Oh, and once when I was nursing at my (other) grandmother's church, I got lots of smiles and positive comments about it being nice to see a baby in church. smile.gif
mariee likes this.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#73 of 103 Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I've never had a problem at 9 months and I've nursed in coffeeshops, pubs, restaurants, festivals, parks, a cross-country meet, on an AmTrak, and at a meeting with colleagues.  I covered when she was smaller, but now I usually nurse uncovered.  My friends who nurse uncovered and a friend who is nursing her large 2 year old (he looks more like a 3yo) have also never had any problems.  Not even odd looks.  We're in a mid-sized city with a mix of conservative and liberal politics, so we're not in a liberal/AP mecca or something.  Pretty average community.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#74 of 103 Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 AM

On bb 2 never a drama but I live in nz which is kind of like breast feeding nirvana. Best experience bf in a 5 star restaurant (2 diff ones) no probs and doting staff - yes I did enquire before going
#75 of 103 Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I NIP for 6 years (2 kids) and never had any problems.  I occasionally got startled looks, but those were usually because we were doing something that isn't often seen in public (toddler nursing positions, etc...), and of course, some people were obviously having troubles figuring out where to point their eyes, and occasionally some guy would make a commend about being jealous, but nobody ever hassled us.  I know my rights and my kids' rights, and have no qualms about defending them, so I might have been giving off a "don't bother hassling me, you'll never win that argument" vibe.

#76 of 103 Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

...and occasionally some guy would make a commend about being jealous...

That's disgusting. greensad.gif I would not appreciate a total stranger implying that he wanted to suck on my breast, much less implying that feeding my child was somehow sexual.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#77 of 103 Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Yeah. Anyone who says something like that should be called out immediately. I would use a public speaking voice to tell him it is absolutely inappropriate so that anyone in earshot hears. Totally out if line.
#78 of 103 Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM

No negative comments or looks NIP either (4 years and going), and my babes would never tolerate a cover.  I once had to sit and nurse on a display couch for sale at Costco because the snack seating area was completely full....only smiles from everyone that passed, including those considering purchasing it looking more closely.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#79 of 103 Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM

What a great thread!

I'm on baby #2 and a total of 2 1/2 years of BFing.  I've BFed in several different states, private places, public places, covered up and really exposed.  With our first child, I tended to be a bit more modest and used a blanket or something while nursing in public.  Now with our second, I don't really have that luxury (plus I don't have the desire to cover myself).  Just last month, I had my entire boob out while nursing our 3 month old.  We were sitting on the beach in FL. A woman walked all the way over to our blanket just to comment on how sweet our daughter was.

So I've had lots of good experiences; never had a negative one!

#80 of 103 Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM

I never had an issue. Over time I realized that it feels like a much bigger issue to you than it is to anybody else. 

#81 of 103 Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM

I never had a problem nursing in public, but a lot of people have been supportive. The very first time I nursed in public, I was out at a restaurant with my parents and newborn. My mom urged me to nurse my son in the booth and said no one would even notice or be able to see anything. I've had a lot of strangers be sweet to me. One time, flying home to see my family with my 12 month old, we had a hellishly delayed flight layover. I was sitting in the terminal nursing my son, and a middle aged lady walked up to me, smiled, and handed me a bottle of water (since nursing makes you thirsty). I've always thought that was just the sweetest way to quietly support a nursing mom.

Oh, also, I took my baby to work with me for six months. It was a small, tight-knit office. One time, one of my coworkers said, "Hey, that baby's head is blocking my view." (In retrospect, I know that sounds inappropriate, but we were good friends and it was hilarious at the time.)

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#82 of 103 Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 PM

I've been nursing now for 20 months, whenever or wherever and I've never gotten a negative response. I usually wear a nursing tank top under a lightweight shirt, and no cover. I've been in situations where I know people are uncomfortable (like my in laws) but I just do my thing and don't react. I feel like its my job to feed/comfort my kid and normalize nursing, not be apologetic or overly explanatory. I think I give off a "don't screw with me" vibe anyway, so that probably helps too smile.gif
EliteGoddess likes this.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#83 of 103 Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM

nope, none.  But my in-laws have been sitting next to me and not even known we brought the baby.

Being modest about it works wonders.  And for the family members that I know its going to tick off, I leave the area ad find a less controversial corner to snuggle my bub.  Maybe one day it can't be helped, but so far that's not today. :)

#84 of 103 Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

just to comment about the comments a man can make: '' I wish I could switch places with the baby''....I don't find it a negative comment.

to me, it doesn,t imply that breastfeeding is sexual. I can understand that it can be inappropriate for a stranger to declare that he wants to suck on my breast....but to me, it doesn't sound that way. I would interpret this comment like: ''your baby looks so well snuggled against your breasts, I wish I could experience the same feeling''....and who could blame them!

rachelsmama likes this.
#85 of 103 Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitchka View Post

just to comment about the comments a man can make: '' I wish I could switch places with the baby''....I don't find it a negative comment.

to me, it doesn,t imply that breastfeeding is sexual. I can understand that it can be inappropriate for a stranger to declare that he wants to suck on my breast....but to me, it doesn't sound that way. I would interpret this comment like: ''your baby looks so well snuggled against your breasts, I wish I could experience the same feeling''....and who could blame them!

Yes!  And I also think some guys who have said similar things to me were mostly just in awe of what my body can do, and were trying to compliment me in their own awkward, foot-in-mouth way.  Even when the words coming out of their mouths were easily interpreted as inappropriate, the body language was generally positive and complimentary.

#86 of 103 Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM

My dd is 2 and I don't think I've ever had anyone be even the least bit negative. I have been surprised many times by strangers going out of their way to say super supportive things about extended breastfeeding!

#87 of 103 Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I do it on the subway.  Folks are squished up against me but I do it anyway.  The carrier largely covers what's left to be seen, so they only catch glimpses of the good stuff when my 11.5 month old pops off to babble something loudly...which these days he does often.  Folks are fine about it; on the very rare occasion someone harrumphs and turns away pointedly (always a middle-aged woman, btw), but it's all good.  I've had an elderly man tell me what I was doing was beautiful, and I've had other women smile at me with a look in their eyes that tells me they miss the days of BFing...it's sweet.

Be well.

rachelsmama likes this.
#88 of 103 Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM

I've been nursing for almost 5 months, and never had a problem... I've nursed in restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls - usually with a cover. The few interactions have been encouraging (e.g. strangers making eye contact and smiling). However, I have given my baby expressed breastmilk in a bottle in public and have received a couple of comments that were critical about formula feeding! So maybe it depends on the location - I live in Portland, Oregon.
#89 of 103 Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Never.  Not a single time.  But, I did have LOTS of positive comments, even when bf toddlers in public.  :-)

#90 of 103 Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 AM

I never had any real problems nursing in public either, with 4 years of nursing so far. I don't cover, I just use tanks so no one sees anything anyway.  There was one time I was visiting a new church, and the nursery paged me.  I nursed my baby in the empty hallway, and during that time I had two people stop and tell me where the nursing room was.  I just smiled and thanked them, and stayed where I was sitting.  Then there was this one old guy that glared at me with a giant scowl while I was walking while nursing my toddler at the mall.  That's pretty much it.  I had more positive comments than anything else.  I even had a lady who worked the WIC office come up and thank me for nursing in public while I was at the mall.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page