Nobody breastfeeds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 04-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Baltimore and we have a TON of LLL meetings here (and in the general DelMarVa area). That said, I have yet to see another woman NIPing here. I see TONS of bottles everywhere I go. So I have to assume that either women are bf-ing in their homes and bottle feeding or going somewhere private when nursing outside the home OR I don't go anywhere that other LLL'ers go.
#32 of 57 Old 04-26-2004, 08:03 PM

My husband worked with a guy who thought breastfeeding in front of people was nasty even if they were in their own home. I say kiss my When the man realized I breastfed, he was just like "does she do IT in public" and Jeff was like "Yeah, she breastfed all over Disney World" He thought the guy was going to have a stroke. Oh, and we went to WDW bunches and I always saw people NIP. And it was great. I felt very comfortable nursing there, on rides, sitting on the lawn at Epcot, or watching shows. I even had several ladies, much older ladies comment on how great it was to see a "young person" breastfeeding.
#33 of 57 Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i see 'em all the time. we live in chapel hill, one of the few other very crunchy areas of NC (and there aren't that many). i'm active in LLL and API so the moms i hang out with almost all NIP. i must admit, though, i'm a little shyer about nursing my 3 yr old than i am my 5 mo old.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#34 of 57 Old 04-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
Mel - maybe you see more because you live in cruchy Cleveland Hts? I live in Peninsula(Akron area) and everyone seems to formula feed ;round here!

Sorry for the delay -- the board being down threw me off. I'm Melinda, Jackson's mama. There are an awful lot of Mel's in our area! I do think you may be right, the further I go East the less commom breastfeeding seems to be. The West seems more bf friendly.
#35 of 57 Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM

I live just outside DC (In Virginia) and I always see nursing moms in the ladies' lounges at the better department stores (Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Saks, etc.). You walk in and it's moms and babies everywhere, chatting, nursing, etc. while sitting on nice comfy sofas away from prying eyes and potential rude comments. I think the availability of these places makes nursing anywhere else in the mall a less attractive idea.

I rarely see anyone NIP outside of the ladies' lounges, though.

I grew up in California, though, and people nursed anywhere and everywhere. Much different culture re: breastfeeding.
#36 of 57 Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 PM

I rarely see NIP around here. Mostly I see babies w/ propped bottles . It makes me want to NIP as much as possible. Perhaps if more women saw NIP, they would see it as normal.
#37 of 57 Old 04-27-2004, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB
I rarely see NIP around here. Mostly I see babies w/ propped bottles . It makes me want to NIP as much as possible. Perhaps if more women saw NIP, they would see it as normal.
Ditto! I've seen ONE mom NIP in my small town. Now 30 miles away in Bloomington (home of Indiana University) I see nursing moms some of the time. I mostly see propped bottles everywhere I go.

And yes, it never looks like EMB... my creamiest evening milk has never been the color of formula.

And it so happens that the babies at playgroup are all breastfed... the youngest one to wean since I joined two years ago was a baby who weaned at 11 months. Oldest (so far) was 2.5 I think.
#38 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat
I see moms NIP a lot. Luvmy3boys, I also live in MD near DC. In fact since arriving in this area about 2 years ago, I've only met one ff mom.

I've seen moms NIP at Starbucks, in the parks, at the County Fair, at the bookshop. I must say most of them have been nursing really young babies. I don't see many nursing toddlers, except for my friends.

I don't know whether it's classed as NIP but the moms lounge at the local Nordstroms is always full of nursing moms. Sometimes I haven't been able to get a seat.
How strange as I have never seen anyone NIP any of those places...I saw 2 women NIP (young babies) in a dark corner of the Jefferson Memorial (they were together) a couple weeks ago and I saw 1 woman NIP under a quilt at a shopping mall around Christmas....that's it However, I haven't ever nursed in lounges of restrooms, so maybe that is why I haven't seen too many other nursing mamas : Or maybe you live in a cruchy part of MD? Anyhow, glad to know there are bfing mamas out there
#39 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 03:42 AM

Today at my nutrition class, 4 women brought their babies along due to lack of daycare. All 4 babies were in strollers and were not picked up for the entire duration of class, which was 1 1/2 hours long. All 4 babies' cries were ignored or treated with an air of annoyance, and all 4 babies had bottles propped and were left to fall asleep from lack of attention, all alone in those little prisons. I don't which part was worse.
#40 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 08:47 AM

A lot of women that "breastfeed" do not NIP. They used EBM or supplement. I know several moms that only breastfeed at home. No wonder so many moms wean before 1 year. They are making it more work.
#41 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 10:01 AM

DID- that is what I see 75% of the time. Maybe 24% of the time I see a baby being held while it's FF/bottlefed and 1% of the time I see a nursing baby.

I know I can't know if they had struggles or lack of support with breastfeeding so I shouldn't judge but it's very sickening and sad to see babies left in a stroller/carseat for the duration of a dinner or mall trip. Never held and fed from a propped container.

Once when we ate at Olive Garden, we saw a baby that was never removed from the carseat. Not while the parents waited for a table, not during the whole dinner and not when some acquaintances stopped by their table to admire the baby. The baby was not held, nor changed and was fed from a propped bottle.
#42 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

God, I hate bottle-propping in strollers. It's like a double whammy. "I'm not going to hold you when you cry, and I'm not going to feed you.The propped bottle will do that."

I saw a mom the other day trying to get her newborn to sleep in her stroller...she had a propped bottle, and when the babe was done, the mom put a blanket over the baby. "Shhhhhhh!" she said sharply. "I knot it's not your crib, but you can still go to sleep!"
#43 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 11:09 AM

I have seen a *couple* mamas NIP around here, but granted they're mostly from my AP mama group...

Few women around here BF, and those who do at all say that they had "not enough milk" (which yes, is sometimes the case I guess - but I hear it so much you'd think it was related to the air), or that they only did it for a few months "bottles were *so* much easier" :

I NIP all the time. I've never gotten a comment - only a few looks. Whatever. I'm really not concerned if you see part of my boob while I feed my baby.
#44 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 11:21 AM

I sometimes give my exclusively breastfed baby EBM in a bottle when we are in public. At the park we like to go to there is nowhere, and I mean nowhere, to sit to feed her. No trees to prop up against and no benches to sit on. I simply cannot nurse her standing up, even with a sling. I just can't figure it out. I had dh give her a bottle of EBM in a restaurant once so I could eat. I can't remember why we had a bottle of EBM with us, but we did.

I know that most people do not know that I am nursing when I NIP. My kids are pretty mellow nursers until about seven or eight months. I drape a blanket over my shoulder that covers most of their body and it looks like the babe is just sleeping. I do this not so much to keep my boobs hidden, although it is part of it, but to keep them from twisting around to look with my nipple still in her mouth. Ouch! A few weeks ago we were at a friend's house and someone sat right next to me and talked to me for about ten minutes without realizing that I was nursing. I brought baby up to burp and my friend's eyes flew open. He thought the baby was sleeping and had been trying to be quiet.

I haven't seen anyone NIP here in West Texas, but I would say it was more common than bottlefeeding in Central Coast California-- Monterey, Santa Cruz area. I saw it a lot in Tucson, but bottlefeeding was still more common.

I wouldn't judge breastfeeding rates by how many women are seen NIP. A lot of women go to their car or find a private place to nurse for a number of reasons. If there is a family changing room or something in a business, I'll usually seek that out before nursing on a bench with no back somewhere.
#45 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
God, I hate bottle-propping in strollers. It's like a double whammy. "I'm not going to hold you when you cry, and I'm not going to feed you.The propped bottle will do that."

I saw a mom the other day trying to get her newborn to sleep in her stroller...she had a propped bottle, and when the babe was done, the mom put a blanket over the baby. "Shhhhhhh!" she said sharply. "I knot it's not your crib, but you can still go to sleep!"
That makes me want to :Puke and .

And we wonder why preteens and teens don't care to cry on our shoulders... maybe it's because from day 1 we've pushed them away!
#46 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And we wonder why preteens and teens don't care to cry on our shoulders... maybe it's because from day 1 we've pushed them away!
not to be an advocate for the devil here, but you really don't know the situation. i don't agree w/ bottle propping but... some babies don't *like* to be held when they're going to sleep. when my son was a baby (and even now, but thankfully to a much lesser extent) he would ONLY sleep if it was quiet, dark, and there was nobody around. anything else would overstimulate him. that's also why we didn't cosleep very often after the first 2-3 months... he just couldn't stand it. he'll still crawl into bed with us in the middle of the night, but for the most part, he prefers to sleep alone.

i guess i'm just trying to say, we shouldn't be so quick to judge.
#47 of 57 Old 04-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I'm so sure that 75% of babies WANT to be left lying around in various appliances all the time. What compliant babies they are! :
#48 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM

I live north of Boston, but I have lived closer in, in Somerville, near Cambridge. Bfing was common there, it was crunchy at Harvard Sq. Smart people.

I have lived in central Mass and seen nip-ing there too. And now, in Burlington or Nashua NH malls, or bookstores, I see nip-ing too, almost every time I go, but not as often as bottle feeding.

One time , my kids and I were at the food court in Nashua. There was a group of 3 moms with babies. One had about a 4 or 5 mo. She bottlefed it in its carseat, didn't prop, but held the bottle. the baby fell asleep and she put him in his seat up on a tiny 2 person table behind her and turned her back on him. This bothered me b/c 2 other kids of theirs, wild boys about age 3 were running around and I really could see them knocking/rocking the baby off the table! Not to mention the table was right next to a railing next to traffic flow and anybody could have grabbed it.

Another mom had a newborn in its seat. She propped its bottle and tended to it now and then to adjust the bottle. The baby was squirming and looked quite unhappy and did not feed well, but she did not pick it up. I was saying under my breath "pick the baby up pick the baby up," but my spell didn't work.

As we were leaving I saw the other mom at the far end of the table and I almost fell over b/c she was bfing her baby, who looked about 10 mos! What was she doing with those other 2 moms, you know? Maybe she was the weird SIL from out of town or something.
#49 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
As we were leaving I saw the other mom at the far end of the table and I almost fell over b/c she was bfing her baby, who looked about 10 mos! What was she doing with those other 2 moms, you know? Maybe she was the weird SIL from out of town or something.
:LOL Probably!
#50 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
. . . all alone in those little prisons.
T A stroller is not a "little prison." A stroller is a seat with wheels. A tool to help mom and baby get where they are going. Like any tool, it can be used or misused. It's obviously not meant to be home away from home for baby, or a crib, or a substitute for attentive parenting. That's misuse. But a stroller is not a prison. It is not inherently harmful. You can be a good mommy and still use a stroller. There's a mom in my Bible Study who brings her 8 month old baby to our meetings sometimes, and she uses a big honkin' Graco monster stroller. But it's loaded up with fun, stimulating toys for her DS to play with while we study, and as soon as she arrives at class, she takes him out of the stroller and places him on the ground to play. If he wants attention at any point, she picks him up and plays with him quietly or silently "reads" a book with him (pointing out pictures, etc.). She's a great mom. But boy, does she love that stroller. And her son seems to like it, too!

Sorry about the . I just get frustrated when I see people say such judgmental things about the different tools parents use to raise their babies. If you're going to bash the "bad mommies" at your nutrition class, stick to bashing them for ignoring their kids and not feeding them properly (i.e. not breastfeeding or at least HOLDING the formula bottle for them) -- not for using strollers.

Anyway, back to breastfeeding.
#51 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 06:44 PM

Like anything in life, physical or mental... yes, I do believe a stroller CAN be a stroller.

I own a stroller. Yes, I sometimes use a stroller. Are my children imprisoned in one? No.

MOST babies I see are left in strollers with propped bottles while mom is doing something else. I happen to think that's neglectful.

So I agree with you in that respect, that it's not the stroller that bad... it's the way it's used. And most of the time I see them used as a way NOT to hold their babies and a way to feed them without even having to have ANY skin contact AT ALL. No warm breast providing nourishment, no soft arms holding while being fed with a bottle. No warm shoulder to burp on.
#52 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 PM

I'm in Suburban Chicago and I see Moms all the time Bfeeding in Public. A lot of stores have Mother's rooms as well as Family Bathrooms located right next to them so Dads can go take their daughters to the restroom.

I met a group of BFeeding moms thru our hospital Breastfeeding Support Group as well as LLL.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#53 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Klothos, good point....but this was a teeny baby. Just born. It was in Gymboree and the mama in question is an employee. She couldn't have had her baby more than 2 weeks before that, because I was in there shopping a couple weeks earlier and she was helping me.

Just the fact that she had a propped bottle for this new infant, and then spoke so sharply when the baby wanted to be held was what made me sad.

I also agree that strollers are not evil. We have one and use it. It's just the way you parent (or don't) when your child is in it that bugs me
#54 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 07:57 PM

HoneymoonBaby, lay off the hormones. The strollers were being used as little prisons. They were not going anywhere.
I'm not bashing you. Don't get so defensive. Guilty conscience?
#55 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 08:09 PM

I see women breastfeeding all the time. I even have seen bf toddlers in public.

Of course, there are a lot of bottles around too.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#56 of 57 Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 PM

Lucysmama ~ i didn't realize that it was a tiny little newborn person. (i didn't even use a stroller at all w/ my son until he was about 2 1/2 months old... i can't imagine having such a little person in a stroller...)

DreamsInDigital ~ your post sounded quite a bit hormonal, IMO... after re-reading HoneymoonBaby's, then re-reading yours... chill. s nobody is attacking anyone here.
#57 of 57 Old 04-30-2004, 11:10 PM

I am also in MD and almost every mom I know breastfeeds. In our Mom's Club, an event doesn't go by without at least one or two moms NIP. One of my mom's club friends is nursing her toddler even though most others I know make it until the first birthday.

I will NIP if I know there will be somewhere comfortable to sit. If not, then I will just nurse in the car so DS gets a good meal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page