Disappointed with ongoing BF shyness, in Midwest - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our huge, famous local children's museum - a definite tourist attraction for our city - just invested millions, re-vamping its 5-and-under wing.  I visited it for the first time yesterday, with my 5-year-old.  Overall, it was a marvelous renovation, with a significant emphasis on nature:  the decorations, playthings and even sound-effects are all nature-based, as are the two new walls of windows letting in natural light.  

In my mind, one thing that would be natural and obvious to that setting would be some comfortable rockers for nursing mothers, especially in the large, gated area designed for infants and toddlers.  Instead, there are 3 windowless doors in the corner of the exhibit with large, colorful signs:  "Family Restroom", "Family Restroom" and "Mothers' Room".  I know from the members' newsletter that it's a "comfortable and private" breastfeeding room.  Seriously?  Not only do they expect a mom to make her other little ones stop playing so they can all go somewhere to hide, while she nurses one of them; but the door can't even have the word "breast-" on it?  Sheesh.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#2 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 AM

I'd LOVE to see comfy chairs to nurse in in the main play area but the room is also useful. My oldest went through a wicked distractable phase and would not nurse when other kids or exciting things were nearby. I'm not a shy breast feeding mom at all but there were a few weeks where I simply couldn't NIP the way I usually do. I'm the sort to just plop down wherever but would love the comfy chair option
#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 AM

Can you make a suggestion that they add some chairs to the area as well?  I"m sure even non-breastfeeding moms would appreciate a nice place to sit.

I do think that most women do prefer a private space to nurse, but it would be nice to at least have the option to sit wherever you want, without being forced to hide.

I've been kicking myself for not going to my church's planning meetings for the new building.  I originally wanted to go to make sure they had a proper breastfeeding space, but I assumed that it would have been properly handled.  I literally gasped with shock when I entered the new bathrooms to see a little room for breastfeeding....inside the women's bathroom.  I almost left the church over that, but decided that it was partially my fault, because I never spoke my mind when opinions were sought.  

apeydef likes this.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#4 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm down for a nurse-in! Sometimes I appreciate a get away spot for nursing. I really resent being pushed away to nurse. I love nursing in public with #2. I like how my 6 year old is so cool with it. I can look at folks and think "see this is how big of a deal it is. Let him be your example." When nursing my first it was so hard to stay comfortable when someone else was uncomfortable.
VocalMinority likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I'm down for a nurse-in! Sometimes I appreciate a get away spot for nursing. I really resent being pushed away to nurse. I love nursing in public with #2. I like how my 6 year old is so cool with it. I can look at folks and think "see this is how big of a deal it is. Let him be your example." When nursing my first it was so hard to stay comfortable when someone else was uncomfortable.

I, too, appreciated having someone around to set a good example for others.  

The Christmas that my youngest was 10 mos. old, my entire (big) family was at my house in the evening, gathered in the living room after dinner.  An old high school friend who now lives out in LA stopped by.  Just as he sat down, the baby wanted to nurse.  My mother was beside herself, insisting I go hide in the bedroom.  (OMG!  An old friend... who's seen me in a bikini... might see part of my breast while I was nursing - IN FRONT OF MY HUSBAND!  She didn't actually say that, but we all knew that's what she was thinking.)  My favorite part of Christmas is that sitting around talking, in front of the fire, after dinner.  The baby wanted to go to sleep, which might take a long time (with or without people around...all he cared about was my breasts).  I didn't want my friend to be gone, by the time I came out of the bedroom.  Nor did I want everyone uncomfortable, because my mother wouldn't calm down.

He said very firmly, "It doesn't make me uncomfortable at all, for you to feed your child."  Which - amazingly - was simple enough to shut down my mother.  Had he gone further and said, "I think it's beautiful" or something, that probably would have made her worse!  Although later, he sent me a video a friend of his had made, with beautiful clips of mothers nursing young children in a wide range of ages.  The soundtrack was something ironically negative - a song about devil women? evil women?  The clear message was how ridiculous it is, for people to take something that natural and obviously central to bonding between mothers and children, and turn it into an issue of immorality or embarrassment.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#6 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KiS8q_fifa0

Just had to share. It was posted on another thread but it hits home for this discussion. It's called Embarrassed
#7 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love that video. I have shared this with many IRL friends.
#8 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Why is this wrong? Is someone wants to privately nurse they should not be accommodated because you think it's wrong? Put in a request for chairs in the toddler room. Why do we need to jump to conclusions about the establishment! I think it is rather nice they even thought of something like that

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page