Stinging in breasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still nursing my 18 month old daughter and am wondering if this is an issue that could be related ...

For about the last three weeks, I have been noticing a stinging in my breasts that comes and goes.  It's mostly in my left side, but I will occassionally get it in the right side, too.  I don't know how to describe it other than its a stinging, almost prickly feeling and when it comes on, its very uncomfortable.  It doesn't hurt any more or less when my daughter nurses and it does not seem to be related to my cycle, since it didn't go away when I got my period.  Nothing outwardly looks unusual -- Nothing that looks like thrush, a rash or anything of that nature.  My daughter doesn't have anything that looks like thrush in her mouth either.

I called my doctor and asked if this sounded like it could be yeast.  He didn't think so based on what I told him.  He told me to monitor it and alternate warm and cold packs and come in if it doesn't go away.  I did that and it the hot/cold packs and does make it feel better, but it hasn't gone away.  I did get a topical cream for killing yeast and have used it once a day.  I am going to call tomorrow and hopefully to talk to one of the female doctors at the office (and make an appointment, in all likelyhood), since they seem a little more in tune with women's issues.

Any thoughts?  Yeast that needs something else to kill it?  An infection that needs an antibiotic?  A vitamin deficiency?

Thanks in advance!  :)

#2 of 3 Old 01-12-2014, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wonder if it is candida/yeast inside the breast. Check out this article by Dr Newman:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 3 Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for your reply!

I read through it and called the doctor this morning.  She had me come in and she took a look.  She thought things looked and sounded a "little yeasty."  Coincidentally, she gave me a persciption for  Dr. Newman's compounded cream and then an oral anti-fungal drug.  She said that she thought I could wait on the drug if I wanted to, but her hunch is that its going to be necessary to knock it out.

Thanks again for the reply!  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page