Modesty, blah, blah, blah - Mothering Forums

Modesty, blah, blah, blah

Usually Curious's Avatar Usually Curious (TS)
08:53 PM Liked: 94
#1 of 5
08-06-2014 | Posts: 1,925
I don't come in here often, but I'm so sick of my (mostly) religious friends blathering on about modesty. I've nursed seven children and I've never used a cover. I also doubt anyone has ever seen my boob. But these whiners are making me want to post a pic on FB of me nursing nude! It would serve them right!

I always tell them that just because they have bought into society's sexualization of women does not mean women should have to cover up. In order to normalize BFing, one has to make it normal, i.e. do it whenever, however, and wherever.

How about people just get over themselves?
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
09:41 PM Liked: 2373
#2 of 5
08-06-2014 | Posts: 1,190
Yep! Funny I actually said the same thing this morning myself although a different situation. I was changing my clothes and the kids came running in the room - to which ds says to my naked chest "oh my gosh mom! You gotta put a shirt on." Well... son I'm in my room getting dressed so maybe you shouldn't barge in. Instead I asked him why? They're just breasts. Baby bottles. That's how each of you ate as babies. Would a baby bottle gross you out? "No" Okay then a breast shouldn't gross you out. Same thing. "Ugh okay mom" (He's 7 )
Nazsmum's Avatar Nazsmum
04:18 AM Liked: 4188
#3 of 5
08-07-2014 | Posts: 2,773
You ladies are right! Never really understand the whole cover-up thing.
Usually Curious's Avatar Usually Curious (TS)
10:43 AM Liked: 94
#4 of 5
08-07-2014 | Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
You ladies are right! Never really understand the whole cover-up thing.
My dd is 24 and tandem nurses wherever and whenever. My sons are 22yo, 17yo, then 8, 6, 4, and 2. I'm raising them to be completely comfortable with nursing however their future SO's want to nurse. I've taught them the law, and taught them that they are expected to speak up in defense of nursing mothers being hassled regardless of whether or not they know them. I've also made it clear that if they interfere with their SO's instincts on nursing (i.e. suggesting covers, scheduled feedings, CIO) that it will be me and them (as in, they're gonna get it from mom!). I won't tolerate any intererence from men when it comes to breastfeeding. IMO, men don't have a say in how I (or those close to me) breastfeed my child.
my3beasties's Avatar my3beasties
02:23 PM Liked: 371
#5 of 5
10-20-2014 | Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Yep! Funny I actually said the same thing this morning myself although a different situation. I was changing my clothes and the kids came running in the room - to which ds says to my naked chest "oh my gosh mom! You gotta put a shirt on." Well... son I'm in my room getting dressed so maybe you shouldn't barge in. Instead I asked him why? They're just breasts. Baby bottles. That's how each of you ate as babies. Would a baby bottle gross you out? "No" Okay then a breast shouldn't gross you out. Same thing. "Ugh okay mom" (He's 7 )
Ha! I could have written this, except my DS is 8. We were scrolling through movies on Netflix for family movie night, and he saw the photo for Goldfinger...with the naked lady painted gold lying there. He said, "Oh no way, we can't watch that one! It has a naked lady!" I said "No, we can't let ANYone in this house see boobs!" as I looked down pointedly at my little 8wk old nursling happily slurping away. DS looked, and giggled "MOM! Well - I guess it's not that bad, huh."

All my kids think bottle feeding is weird...in fact, 3yo DD1 sits next to me with the mini-Boppy pillow, pulls up her shirt, and "nurses" her Cabbage Patch doll while I nurse her baby sister. It's adorable!

I've never liked modestly covering up or hiding for other people's sake...I figure BFing is the biological function of breasts, and people need to see it as normal; if baby is hungry, baby is gonna get fed! The only time I will cover is if someone is creeping me out, just because I don't like being stared at by pervs...for the same reason why I wouldn't wear a short skirt and bend over in front of people.

Oh - and to the religious objectors, I say: What did God make these for, anyway? It sure wasn't to sell fast cars and cheap beer, or keep the Kardashians well-paid.
Reply Subscribe Lactivism