Breasts are NOT sex organs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

4Likes

#31 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the point was that we shouldn't feel uncomfortable breastfeeding in public the way we would (probably) feel uncomfortable having sex in public. There shouldn't be a cultural taboo against exposing the breast.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF
I think the point was that we shouldn't feel uncomfortable breastfeeding in public the way we would (probably) feel uncomfortable having sex in public. There shouldn't be a cultural taboo against exposing the breast.
I think we ALL agree on that. I think it's all in how they're presented. One can bare a breast in public and nurse a baby, and that's not sexual. ("pertaining to the act of sex") But one could do a striptease in public, exposing breasts, and that would be sexual, and inappropriate. The thing that bugs me is why do we consider say, someone performing a striptease in the middle of the mall inappropriate, but not say, Britney Spears at the Grammys? But that's a whole NOTHER can o' worms.
#33 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I think when this thread began, we were referring to "sexual" as "pertaining to the act of sexual intercourse," and we were defining "sex organ" as "genital."
interesting that this difference was not noted earlier in the thread.
#34 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 05:01 AM

Well, the thread was originally started because the breast was compared to a penis on another thread, and someone suggested that displaying pictures of breasts might not be appropriate on MDC, since displaying pictures of penises is not considered appropriate.

Then, during the course of the thread, the definition of "sexual" seemed to broaden. When confusion arose, it was suggested that we need to define "sexual," so I tried to do so in what I felt was the spirit of the OP.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#35 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the thread was originally started because the breast was compared to a penis on another thread, and someone suggested that displaying pictures of breasts might not be appropriate on MDC, since displaying pictures of penises is not considered appropriate.
:LOL

sorry but first, that strikes me as really funny. what thread was it?

but also... how in the world were any of us supposed to know the context of the original post? if this was brought up from another thread, it should have been hinted at or explained ealier in this thread, not left to ambiguity.
#36 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
And saying that breasts are sexual doesn’t diminish their intended purpose. It’s when breasts are seen as nothing BUT sex objects that they become cheapened, and THAT is what upsets me.
EXACTLY!

what REALLY bothers me as well is when lactating is compared to urination or defecation...but that is a whole different thread.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#37 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 08:53 PM

they are multi functional
#38 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 09:00 PM

did you ever notice how humans are the ONLY mammals that have full, obvious breasts when they are not lactating? i always thought that our breasts evolved to look the way they do to attract men. however, their main purpose is obviously to feed babies.

don't misunderstand- i am a hardcore NIPer, and not a bit discreet. so what if my (saggy, lopsided )breasts are attractive to some guy- is that supposed to take precedence over my baby's desire/need to nurse?!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#39 of 46 Old 05-15-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
what thread was it?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=144618

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
but also... how in the world were any of us supposed to know the context of the original post? if this was brought up from another thread, it should have been hinted at or explained ealier in this thread, not left to ambiguity.
I'm terribly sorry. We thought the topic could stand on its own. I thought we were pretty clear in our first few posts. I guess I was wrong. I was asked for an explanation, and I gave it. I don't know what else I can do. I apologize again.

#40 of 46 Old 05-16-2004, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Let me just say that it sure as heck felt like he was getting off in a sexual manner & using my body for HIS sexual aggressions, not just a power trip.
This is a very sensitive topic, so I want to tread lightly here.

Rapists get off in a sexual manner in all rapes. Just because sexuality is involved doesn't mean control and power were not the driving factors. And when people are talking about sexual abuse and rape being more about power, it's to counter the prior notion that rapists rape because "men need sex." It was previously thought that if a woman got a man aroused, he had every right to rape her, because men can't just get aroused like that and not be ful-fulled; they need sex. When in fact, that is not true. Many many rapists do not need to rape in order to have sexual release. Many rapists have steady girlfriends, or wives when they rape other women. It's not because they're not getting enough sex. They're raping for other reasons, and using sexuality along the way.

Also, there are many people with foot fetishes. There are strange men who masterbate into womens shoes (and some who want the women to walk in that shoe afterwards). Again, that doesn't make the foot a sex organ.
#41 of 46 Old 12-12-2015, 11:39 PM

Sorry to bring something up on this thread again... but breasts are sex organs. Humans are the only species in the world to have permanently enlarged breasts. This is because they are used to attract a mate. But breasts are secondary sex organs, like a pea cocks tail because they are not for reproduction, they are for attracting a mate so they can reproduce.

To put it simpily, mammary glands are considered secondary sex organs. Breasts are mammary glands. Because science says so.
#42 of 46 Old 12-13-2015, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
This thread is eleven years old, Guy. Why's this so important to you?
Nazsmum and Xerxella like this.
#43 of 46 Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiZ View Post
Honey my whole body is a sex organ! But not all the time. Just as the penis is multiple use (peeing, making babies, having fun), so can other body parts be multifunctional as well
I love sex!

I loved breastfeeding my two babies.... which did not have the same feelings of arousal as when my partner plays with my breasts.

But yes, breasts are for sex. My sex life would be diminished without that part of our repertoire.

Oops, sorry I did not notice how old this thread was.
#44 of 46 Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
All parts of your body are sex organs potentially.
#45 of 46 Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I loved breast feeding in public it didnt bother me yes i used to get strange looks sometimes, i wasnt revealing anything so if my son was hungry he was fed simple. i think its disgusting we are looked down upon like its some kind of freak show or peep show! my worst experience is when i was asked to leave pizza hut as it was making other customers feel uncomfortable my son was hidden under a blanket for all they knew i could have just been comforting him.......as soon as i was home a official letter was written to head office to which i received a letter of apology.
#46 of 46 Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichealthyfamily View Post
I loved breast feeding in public it didnt bother me yes i used to get strange looks sometimes, i wasnt revealing anything so if my son was hungry he was fed simple. i think its disgusting we are looked down upon like its some kind of freak show or peep show! my worst experience is when i was asked to leave pizza hut as it was making other customers feel uncomfortable my son was hidden under a blanket for all they knew i could have just been comforting him.......as soon as i was home a official letter was written to head office to which i received a letter of apology.
couldnt agree more its a perfectly natural thing x

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page