What Is Really Said When A Mom Is Told Not To Breastfeed In Public - Mothering Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By tm0sweet
  • 1 Post By my3beasties

#1 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
What Is Really Said When A Mom Is Told Not To Breastfeed In Public

http://www.wesupportorganic.com/2014...in-public.html

But it begs the question: when did it become such a crime to vilify women who chose to nurture when nature calls.

http://whennurturecalls.org/

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I like this concept, but this article stresses "modest and discreet" a few times and I'm not sure I really appreciate that bit. I'm tired of being told to be "modest and discreet", the implication (the way I read it at least) is that public breastfeeding is only acceptable when using a cover which is just not doable for many (most?) bfing moms.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 12-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I agree.

My sister told me that the worst ones are older women.

My sister said that more than once as a waitress she was told by a customer to tell a young mother "to please take that dirty habit to the rest room or I will vomit".

No one wins in that scenario. All lose.

Women are often their own worst enemies.
I once heard (can't remember who said it) that the definition of misogyny is men hating women as much as women hate women.

Unfortunately true - older women and those who bottle-fed are the worst at "breastfeeding shaming". It's like they have to justify their compliance with the repression of their own natural instincts, by shaming women who respond to the same instinct.

Always makes me shake my head when people refer to BFing as "Dirty" - breastmilk is one of the cleanest (actually antibacterial) substances on the planet! And on an ethical level, personally I think a much "dirtier" habit is spewing venom and bad-mouthing other people.

Nurturing a baby is one of the sweetest things a human being can do, regardless of how it's done.
applejuice likes this.

Now a SAHM (yay!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with DS1, 9yo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 1yo
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY born Nov 17!

#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The first link is broken. Or at least, I was unable to access it. I got a "404" error.

Wife to
since '98;

(former) Homeschooling, doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day;
Mom to
DSs:
06/10,
12/05, &
1/99 &
(3/15)
#5 of 6 Old 02-07-2015, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
i don't think this is identical to the original link but this is all I could find.

http://naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/y...stfeed-public/
#6 of 6 Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's sad that it is typically women. It was a women complaining to her husband that triggered the harassment stuff I had to deal with in my local Sunday school class. It was horrible feeling to me as a new mom. Hugely discouraging.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page