Dieting and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend's dd was just labelled FTT. I'm not sure exactly how much she weighs, but she's been steadily dropping in the charts (since birth) and was below 5% at 9 months. With the encouragement of her ped, my friend decided to formula feed during the day and let her comfort-nurse AM and PM (baby sleeping through the night for a long time). That only lasted a day or two and she weaned totally. The ped said that her breastmilk just wasn't high enough in calories for her dd. She told her this after my friend admitted she has been heavy duty dieting since her dd was about 3 months (she had never advised her to stop nursing before). I'm about 1.5 hours away and hadn't seen this friend in a while. When I saw her last weekend she has lost all her baby weight and is 30 lbs under her pre baby weight. Can serious dieting affect breastmilk quality like that? I thought her ped was full of it until I saw how much weight she had lost. Is there any truth in that?

April
Mama to and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 06:34 PM

Even in famine conditions, BM is going to nurish the baby at the expense of the mother. The baby has to survive as far as nature is concerned (survival of the species). Not sure why the baby was FTT.

Doreen
Old 05-20-2004, 08:00 PM

It probably didn't affect the moms milk, but it probably had bad reprecussions for the moms health.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 PM

as far as i have heard, breastmilk packs more of a nutritional punch that formula or any solid food, and that doesn't change even with poor maternal nutrition. breastmilk is always the best thing for baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Well, fwiw, when I had thrush, I had to go on a VERY strict elimination diet (we had tried EVERYTHING and the elimination diet DID work), and at the exact time I had to do that, my dd dropped from 45% to 10%!!! She actually LOST weight between 6 months and 9 months.

I finally stopped the elimination diet at 9 months when we were 100% thrush free and she porked right back up and at her 1 year visit was 50% again!!

Sooo, coincidence? I dont' know... but it was odd. I felt HORRIBLE when I thought about it later.... but it's not like I wasn't letting her nurse or anything, she nursed ALL the time and I had great milk supply... and I ate OFTEN just limited foods....

Kimberly
Old 05-20-2004, 10:00 PM

i just wanted to add, that if she wasn't eating properly, it wouldn't affect her milk, but it would affect HER. the body takes what it needs to make good milk, whether it takes it from the food the mother eats, or the mother's body itself if need be. for example, if the mother doesn't eat enough calcium, then the body will take calcium from her bones to make milk for the baby. the baby doesn't suffer, but the mother will be deficient.

so that probably explains why she was SO thin...she should be eating better for her own benefit, although her milk was probably always just perfect for her baby. there was probably some other cause for the baby's poor weight gain, unrelated to the mother's diet.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 PM

I would think at some point the milk would suffer. After all, at a certain point, the mother's body has no more to give. I just don't know where that point would be, near death for the mother or approaching 11% body fat, for instance.

I also would not discount the possiblity of the mother having some disordered eating (delaying or restricting meals) that she might be subconsiously applying to the baby. I were to spend a lot of time pretend I wasn't hungry, I might apply some of those same thoughts to my child, whether I meant to or not.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 05-21-2004, 12:49 AM

It wouldn't have an effect on the quality of the milk, but it would definitely have an effect on the quantity. I went on South Beach for 5 DAYS, and my supply took a huge dive. I lost 9 pounds the first three days, and Thomas started nursing every 45 minutes-an hour. It took nearly three weeks to build my supply back up. So...if she was feeding her DD on a schedule, and her milk supply had dropped because of her diet, then it is very likely that her DD simply wasn't getting enough milk.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

I thought the ped's advice sounded a little off, I'd heard the thing about malnourished moms being able to breastfed. The ped has my friend doing weight checks every 3 weeks now, and I'm curious to see how much she gains on 3 weeks of formula. If it isn't what the dr wants, they will start testing for medical problems. Seems like something they should do before they advise weaning.

mamahammer - My friend was wondering about her supply at one point, but her dd seemed satisfied, so she figured it was ok. Her dd was never a big nurser though. At 2 weeks she was eating every 4 to 5 hours during the day and sleeping large chunks at night. Which seemed like big gaps to me, but my dd still eats every 2 to 3 hours at 15 months. And not a comfort nurser at all.

I'm just hoping the baby doesn't have any real medical issues. My dd is small, in height and weight, but not always dropping or behind on milestones like friend's dd. So we never worried.

Thanks everyone!

April
Mama to and
Old 05-21-2004, 02:53 AM

I doubt it. I have been following a low carb diet since my baby was 4 weeks old and he is thriving. Although I dont diet as strict as some. I do eat lots of fruit, veggies and sometimes whole grains.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 PM

I think that it depends on how quickly she lost the weight. I went on a very strict diet when my oldest was 7 months old. I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and she dropped from the 10 to below the 5th percentile at her 9 month visit. I stopped the diet and she rebounded back to the 10th by her 12 month visit. I truly think that my rapid weight loss was wht caused her drop in percentiles.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:27 PM

I had a problem with my supply any time I cut down on fats. Not even to the extent of dieting. I had to keep a pretty high fat and calorie intake to keep my supply up. Whenever I started to lose weight I would have problems.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
Old 05-22-2004, 01:55 AM

Dotto what Misty just said, I'm having a really hard time with my supply on the Elim diet right now and DS seems to be reacting to avocados
Old 05-22-2004, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Her baby weight came off over a couple of months, but her big 30 lb weight loss happened in just over 8 weeks. Weight Watchers actually made her get a note from her doctor, because she was losing so rapidly. Her dr ok'd it, so she didn't worry about it at the time. Now she's wondering if she might have been hurting her dd in the process. I don't know why she didn't think - they say this might be bad for me (the rapid weight loss), should I really be doing it while breastfeeding? But then again, we would rather that be it than find out her dd has some sort of metabolic disorder or something. Thanks everyone, for sharing info and experiences.

April
Mama to and
Old 05-22-2004, 04:23 AM

My daughter is slowly dropping in the charts. But she's also learned to crawl, especially the really fast crawl. She's always standing up, and walking along couches and tables. She is never in the same place twice, it seems! She eats constantly as well.
Perhaps it's a mixture between the dieting on the mom's part as well as the mobility on the baby's part?

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List