Can you start out wrong - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you start out wrong

I heard that if your baby has a problem latching and you decide to pump that you have to pump every 2-3 hrs otherwise you will not produce enough milk for the long hall. I would like to know your experience with this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Yes, you need to express as often as your baby feeds or every 3hrs, whichever is more frequent. Some people have success with long-term expressing but others find their supply deteriorates as the pump is not as efficient as the baby at emptying the breast.

If you are keen for your baby to have breastmilk I would strongly suggest that you see a lactation consultant and ask her to assess you and your baby for positioning, suck and tongue tie. Dr Jack Newman's website also has lots of information on correct attachment.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 4 Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Best thing to do is get the baby back to the breast and sort out the latch problems. A good lactation consultant or LLL leader may be able to help, or perhaps just some research and trial and error. Nipple shields helped get my sleepy firstborn nursing correctly, then I just had to spend a couple weeks transitioning off of those. Sometimes there's tongue tie, baby's frenulum is too short and a doctor might need to clip it so their tongue can work right. If you have to skip feedings or switch to all expressed milk, yes you need a good pump and frequent sessions if your supply is going to continue. Supply will adjust to be equal to what's used, and babies are usually more effective at getting it all than pumps.

#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
It depends, really. Exclusive pumping is harder than supplemental pumping, but I don't think anyone is well-served by a plan that basically builds in sleep deprivation. If you stress your body out, your body is likely to go into survival mode, and expend minimal energy. You'll sleep a lot, you won't feel up to doing anything strenuous, or much of anything, and you won't produce a lot of breastmilk.

I got a lot of bad advice from a hospital LC when my son was a newborn, and wound up pumping every 2 hours round the clock until I had a hideously painful case of oversupply, and also felt like absolute crud. When my second baby was born, she went straight to the NICU (she was 7.5 weeks early), and I pumped every three hours between 6 a.m. and bedtime (which was determined based on how I felt about staying awake), and slept 5-8 hours at night. If I woke up feeling tight in the chest, I pumped, but I often didn't wake up. I wound up with more than enough milk for the baby, and I felt a lot better than I had the first time through.

Tags
breast milk , breast pump , Pumping

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page