What antibiotics have you taken while nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to treat this UTI that I have with natural remedies like garlic, vitamin c, and D-mannose (cranberry extract.) It seems to be holding things off but not improving as fast as I'd like. It's been 2.5 days since I started taking everything. I don't want to mess around with it much longer and risk a kidney infection and all that so I may go to the doctor today.

I've been researching antibiotics and breastfeeding this morning (Hales, etc.) and I found that the best antibiotic for UTI's (macrobid) is 'potentially harmful' for nursing moms. But then I've also heard of people who've taken it.

So, does anyone here have experience with treating a UTI (or anything else) with antibiotics while nursing? Which one did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not for UTI's, but I've had to take Keflex for a post-op infection when DD was about 6 months old and Zithromax for pneumonia when she was about a month old. Both are safe though someone with a PDR and an ax to grind will try to convince you otherwise, at least that was my experience when given Keflex.

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 01:44 PM

The only "safe" antibiotics are ones that the child could ake on her own if she was sick. Ones your pediatrician would prescribe for her, if needed. She will be ingesting the antibiotic excreted in your milk. As an RN I don't believe in antibiotics because you may be killing the germs but not correcting the reason your body was susceptible in the first place. Homeopathy works wonders. You would be pleasently surprised how well it works if you try it.
#4 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 03:26 PM

nak

I fought mastitis for two weeks, using herbs, homeopathic medicine, hydrotherapy, rest, ect. After all that, my ND gave me a script for plain old amoxicilin. After about 7 days it worked. But then I hardly ever take them so a mild one worked for me.

Don't forget to eat lots of yogurt and maybe even a strong asodolpholis (sorry for the spelling!) DS got a horrible thursh diaper rash from the antibiotics.

Have you tried emergenC - cranberry? I feel a lot better bladder wise when I have 1 a day. and lots of water?

good luck at the doctor!
#5 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses so far!

Meiri - That's why I am doing my research NOW, so I know exactly what I am talking about if the doctor wants me to wean or something.

fourgrtkidos - I totally agree with you about antibiotics. This would be a last resort because I'd hate for it to progress and end up in the hospital. I know what is causing my UTI - fatigue and post-partum intercourse. I do have some homeopathic remedies, but I never thought to use them for a UTI...

Victorian - If I get a script, my second stop after the pharmacy would be to the health food store for probiotics. The D-mannose I am taking is a cranberry extract similar to your suggestion. It was suggested to me by the lady at the health food store.

I am feeling better today and have not gone to the doc yet. Still not sure if I will. I have an appointment with my midwife in 3 days so if things remain stable I may just have her do a dipstick and go from there.

Thanks again!
#6 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 08:29 PM

I actually, much to my dismay, ended up on Cipro for a UTI I attempted to treat naturally---cranberry, Vit C, homepathics, acidophilus douches---none of it worked. I tried everything alternative for 7 weeks & when I finally started experiencing blood in my urine I knew I had to do something mainstream so I wouldn't end up with a kidney infection (It was one of the worst experiences of my life) I only ended up taking it after going to my LLL group meeting & getting the *known* facts about the drug. While it killed me to know my DD was getting this awful drug in her system--I figured it was the lesser of two evils---since I didn't want to end up in the hospital with a kidney infection. FWIW, I continued with mega doses of probiotics & other natural stuff while I was on the Cipro.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 09:03 PM

I'm currently taking Amoxicillin right now for strep throat and have been taking Acidophillus right along with it (and eating lots of yogurt)...no problems so far for either of us.

I had bad mastitis a few months ago and took antibiotics for that...but I can't remember what I took... (the raw garlic cloves didn't work that time )

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2004, 09:33 PM

If you do end up going with antibiotics, insist that the doctor do the culture that determines what antibiotics the infection will respond to. It's been my experience that many times you'll have to try a few things to get rid of a UTI. This culture does take at least 24 hours, but it should make sure you don't have to take a few different kinds of antibiotics for longer than necessary.

I've only taken Keflex (for strep) while nursing. It gave the baby runny diapers, but he was fine. I don't think UTIs usually respond to it, though.
#9 of 12 Old 07-12-2004, 03:01 PM

I've taken amoxicillin and cephalexen (Keflex). I usually prescribe ciprofloxacin (Cipro) or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) for UTI. Bactrim, even in my little pocket book which is very conservative, is listed as okay for breastfeeding. Cipro gets a ?, but Hales might give more details. You usually only need 3-5 days of treatment.

I wouldn't recommend a culture. It will be a gram-negative bacteria, probably E. coli, and almost assuredly sensitive to one of the two drugs I mentioned. Resistance in an uncomplicated UTI is so rare that it would be a huge waste of money and time (it takes 2-3 days to get sensitivity data back for a hospitalized patient because of how they test it.)

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#10 of 12 Old 07-12-2004, 03:08 PM

I'm taking Keflex now for a nasty UTI. I thought that I might have a UTI, and had a urinalysis right before my daughter was born. It didn't show up then. I had been treating it agressively with natural means. But two days after my daughter was born, it roared back with a vengeance.

My doctor had a culture grown, and it came back as Group A Strep. She said that this is very unusual for a UTI.

So far the Keflex is working, and we haven't had any side effects. I'm taking lots of acidophilous, Vitamin C, Echinacea, Uva Ursi, and drinking tons of cranberry juice and water. Hopefully we won't run into any problems.
#11 of 12 Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM

Elizabeth, that is very unusual. Did you have bladder catheter at any time? That strep species is usually a skin flora. I would actually have guessed it as a contaminant if I had seen the culture.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#12 of 12 Old 07-18-2004, 12:10 PM

No, I didn't have a catheter with this baby. My doctor was puzzled, too. She asked how long I labored after my membranes ruptured - only 45 minutes. My water broke right when I started pushing.

I was taking amoxycillan at first. My initial diagnosis was uterine infection. But after two days on that, my fever was still high. And the pain that I was feeling had shifted from my uterus to bladder. So my doctor changed my antibiotics.

I actually finished my round of antibiotics yesterday. I've increased my acidophilous intake, and I'm sticking with the cranberry juice and extra vitamin C.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page