Peppermint Tea and Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with fussiness/gassiness from their babe after drinking Peppermint Tea?

I thought it was suppose to be a good thing, but I've quit drinking it the past few days and Jack is like another baby. I had cut all kinds of stuff out of my diet trying to help his fussiness, dairy, etc. Nothing worked. Then I quit drinking the tea, and bam. Happy baby!

Or is it just coincidence... since he is now 8 weeks and getting acquainted with his new world.... ??
#2 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 06:05 PM

Peppermint reduces milk supply- maybe when you quit, it gave him more milk or made it easier for him to get.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Below is a link to KellyMom.com which states that it can diminish supply and should definitely not be given directly to the child. Since every breastfeeding family is different, perhaps it did upset your ds. It's probably a good thing to leave it out of your diet for awhile.

I had to stay away from all citrus, especially any form of strawberry the first two years of dd's life. At 28 months she can now handle small amounts of citrus juice and fruit.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/h...tml#peppermint

Congrats new Mama!
Marvel
#4 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 10:36 PM

Good grief. Talk about timing. I have a cup of hot water in the mircrowave right now, ready for a bag of peppermint tea I have. Glad I havent drank any yet. Guess that I will get out the mothers milk tea.
#5 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Good grief is right! O-mi-god.... I had no idea. I feel like my milk supply is fine, but it is most CERTAINLY not as much as it was with ds #1, but I suppose that is to be expected.

I wonder if Peppermint soap does anything? I love Peppermint! LOL! I have been using Peppermint soap, too.

Do you think I am safe with chamomille or fennel tea? I have both of those in the cupboard....
#6 of 11 Old 07-24-2004, 11:18 PM

Both fennel and chamomile are both safe. I am not sure about chamomile, but fennel is in Mothers Milk tea.
#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2004, 01:15 PM

Peppermint also can cause acid reflux in people who are prone to it, so I imagine it could have the same effect on a nursing baby.

Chamomile should be fine, assuming hay fever-type allergies don't run in your family. Chamomile is related to ragweed and is highly allergenic. If you think your baby may grow up and have seasonal allergies, I'd avoid chamomile. (In fact, I do avoid chamomile because of DH's ragweed allergies.)
#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2004, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyG
Peppermint also can cause acid reflux in people who are prone to it, so I imagine it could have the same effect on a nursing baby.

Chamomile should be fine, assuming hay fever-type allergies don't run in your family. Chamomile is related to ragweed and is highly allergenic. If you think your baby may grow up and have seasonal allergies, I'd avoid chamomile. (In fact, I do avoid chamomile because of DH's ragweed allergies.)
Yes, I get hay fever, although Chamomile tea has never bothered me. But sounds like I better avoid that too.

So what CAN I drink? SHould I just get the Mother's Milk brand?
#9 of 11 Old 07-25-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will

So what CAN I drink? SHould I just get the Mother's Milk brand?

if looking for something hot, hot cocoa is what i drink

unless you have seen problems with citrus, lemon or orange teas are yummy,. as are many others (raspberry, etc). i only drink these things when cold though. i prefer ice water usually

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#10 of 11 Old 07-25-2004, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was just looking for something hot. I am out of the "cup of coffee a day" phase and would like to keep it like that for awhile, so I've been drinking hot tea, no caffeine....
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2004, 03:54 PM

I can't drink hot chocolate/coffee at all; Eli cannot handle even the smallest amounts of caffiene in my milk. It's a real shame, because I'm soooo in the mood for a cappuccino I could scream...

I wish someone had told me that pepermint can reduce supply! I may start drinking it every day! :LOL It's good to know.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page