constipated newborn - can I eat something to help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-29-2004, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you're supposed to cut things out of your diet if you suspect your baby isn't able yet to digest something, but I was wondering if anybody has ever noticed the effects of ADDING things to their diet to get a constipated baby pooping again? Specifically, I was wondering about prune juice or even metamucil-type stuff. I'll be trying it anyways, but wanted to hear what others have done.

My Chinese babysitter keeps telling me to eat Asian pears and not eat "cold" things, but I'm sick to death of these tasteless pears and my baby still hasn't pooped in a week.
#2 of 13 Old 08-29-2004, 11:24 PM

Assuming your baby is exclusively breastfed (I'm assuming that because you're posting on this forum and didn't mention anything to the contrary), it is perfectly normal for her to go a week without pooping. My daughter, now 2, pooped once every 7-8 days from about 7 weeks until she started eating solids in earnest at about 14 months. I have a son who is 5 weeks, and I can already tell he's going to be the same way -- he is pooping about once every 2-3 days and they seem to be getting further apart. Breastmilk is very easily digested and there is not much "waste" to eliminate -- that is why some breastfed babies do not poop often (of course, it is also normal and healthy for breastfed babies to poop after every feeding).

If your child is gaining weight, peeing often, and pooping regular breastfed baby poop when she does poop, she's just fine. It is very unusual for a breastfed baby to be constipated -- if she were constipated, her poop would be hard and pebbly.

Here is an excerpt from http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html that addresses this issue:

Quote:
Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often--this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 - 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal.
HTH!
#3 of 13 Old 08-30-2004, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

I know that it is normal, but I feel that maybe I can do something to help the situation b/c she is so obviously uncomfortable - several days of screaming, plus poor sleep, plus difficult time pooping. Then today's poop smelled really sour, was dark-colored, and had lots of large clumps of undigested milk in it - just doesn't seem right to me. Today I remembered a friend who used to give her baby cultures like acidophilus, etc. - can you give a 2-month old this kind of thing?

Oh, and yes she is exclusively bf.

I just get so sick of people BLAMING my milk, I thought I could use my milk to improve things. My first one was also like this and also colicky - I'm starting to feel like I make bad milk or something....
#4 of 13 Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 AM

My DD was an infrequent pooper when she was younger - One poop every 5- 9 days. Her great pediatric nurse practitioner assured me that it is unusual for a BF baby to become constipated, but not impossible, and recommended that I drink unfiltered apple juice. I tried it once, even though DD didn't seem at all bothered, and was promptly treated to a blowout poo. I'm guessing that prune juice might work, too.

When my DD had to take a short course of antibiotics for some bacterial pneumonia last year, her doc prescribed some probiotics at the same time, to help repopulate her digestive tract - The info on the probiotics said it was safe for people of all ages, including babies.

HTH. I'm sure you are making fabulous and perfect milk for you daughter! Hang in there.
#5 of 13 Old 08-31-2004, 11:32 AM

I am sure that frequent posters get tired of hearing the same stuff from me, but it took me a while to really register it when people would tell it to me.. So here goes..

My ds1 (6 as of yesterday!!) did this very same thing.. Very colic-y.. Infrequent poo's.. Just generally unhappy.. It turns out he is sensitive to dairy protien.. I had to cut out ALL dairy in my diet for 6 months and SEVERELY restrict it for another 6.. He is still sensitive to dairy.. (as in it makes his excema flair up) but not allergic like he starts having problems breathing or he has blood in in stools..

I don't know if you have done this yet or not, but I would suggest removing dairy from your diet.. (and it's harder than you think.. Diary is in everything.. milk solids.. whey.. lactic acid.. gobs of stuff that don't say milk.. ) Do it for a month.. If dairy is the problem you should notice a decrease in problems within 2-3 weeks.. It takes at least 2 weeks for the dairy to be out of your system.. And it WON'T be all better all at once.. It will be gradual.. One good day.. 4 bad.. 2 good days.. 5 bad.. 1 good day.. 3 bad days.. 3 good days.. 1 bad.. you get the idea.. Until the good days outweigh the bad ones..

Once I removed the dairy from my diet ds1 was pooping about every 3 days and was much happier.. Before that he was only pooping every 10 days.. And he was uncomfortable..

Best of Luck and Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#6 of 13 Old 08-31-2004, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Dairy was the first thing I cut out, and I haven't consumed any for about 3 weeks now. Except that I started to feel like it wasn't dairy, so then I ate pizza one day this week and yogurt another day. Maybe I better get back on the dairy-free wagon and give it another go. Part of me is skeptical at this point, b/c classic colic is gone by 4 months anyways, right? (crossing my fingers) Which is about the time I'd have it figured out.

I've been drinking fennel/anise/balm tea 3x a day and that seems to be helping her poop, though the screaming persists....
#7 of 13 Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM

Just wanted to second the apple juice suggestion. I've also had success eating or drinking citrus. Beware that some babies are sensitive to the high acid content. Dd's little mouth and bottom got soooooo red and irritated when I ate strawberries. And I love strawberries.

HTH,
Marvel
#8 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 PM

When my baby turned 3 months, she stopped having BM's everyday and I got worried. After going 4 days without one, I called her doctor. I was told to give her 1/4 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia and cut milk out of my diet. Neither worked. I called again and was told to give her 1/2 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia twice a day for three days. That worked for the time she was taking it. She stopped having BM's again. I gave her Milk of Magnesia again last Monday and Tuesday, and she pooped once both days. I took her in to see the doctor last Thursday. I was told that my baby girl is not constipated. She has no hard lump and when the doctor was messing with her bottom some poop came out, but it wasn't hard. I've been exclusively breastfeeding her, but I was told to give her Enfamil at least twice a day and one ounce prune juice mixed with one ounce water. No surprise, she won't take either one of them (which doesn't bother me). All the doctor really said was that it was unusual and I think she just told me to give her those two things to give me something to do. She never said I should or shouldn't eat something. I don't know what to do. She hasn't had a BM for about 5 days now. Is there something I can eat? She's not in pain. She always smiles. Only cries when I take too long to feed her. She'll be 4 months next week and I will be introducing solids, will that help her? I'm lost and confused and the doctor hasn't seemed to help.:
#9 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 05:23 PM

BriMom, it just sounds like your little one is an infrequent pooper. As long as she's not uncomfortable, i wouldn't worry. Breastfed babes will can go up to 10 days with out a poo. Also, Enfamil will cause constipation because of the iron.

Mama of three.

#10 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 PM

Your baby does not sound constipated to me. It is normal for EBF babies to go several days without a BM, even up to 2 weeks without a BM. My newborn goes about once every 3 or 4 days and it is totally normal. Since she is not acting like she's in pain and she's not having hard, dry poops, she is not constipated. I wouldn't give her any formula, juice, or supplements to try to make her poop. Breastmilk is very easily digested and it doesn't produce as much waste. I doubt there is anything you could eat that would make her poop. And it doesn't sound like you need to take anything away from your diet since your DD is not in pain and doesn't have bloody stools or anything (those are both indications to start an elimination diet, typically taking milk out first). And introducing solids will probably make her worse--especially if you introduce rice cereal as a first solid food. That can be very binding. I'd wait until 6 months at the minimum to introduce solids to a BF baby.

BTW, your doctor doesn't seem to know much about breastfed babies-- it is not at all unusual for BF babies to have BM's every few days.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#11 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 PM

BriMom576 -

I agree with what the 2 previous posters have said - My first daughter pooped every 5 - 9 days, while my second poops 5 times a day! Both are normal for exclusively breastfed babies. If your daughter becomes uncomfortable, you'd probably have luck drinking a glass of unfiltered apple cider - You'll pass along the stool-softening goodness in your milk. This always worked like a charm for us, although we never really [I]needed[I] it.

I also agree that introducing solids won't help her to poop more often - Breastmilk is way more digestible than any solid food! You can safely watch your DD and not the calendar when it comes to introducing solids. There's some good info at the LLLI website here, if you're interested: http://www.lalecheleague.org/cgi-bin...oducing+solids

Take care!
#12 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 06:52 PM

DD only pooped every 3-4 days from about 3 weeks till about 3.5 months. I would give her belly massages and push her legs to her belly just to help move stuff through (it didn't really help but it would help move gas through). She started pooping on the potty @ 3.5 months and was pooping every day for a while, now she poops every 2-4 days, but almost always waits till she is on the potty.

Done with diapers!!

#13 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 PM

just wanted to chime in real quick...

my dd is a very infrequent pooper. starting when she was 2 weeks, she went 9 days between poops, then had a huge blowout. after that, she went 3 WEEKS...she wasn't uncomfortable or fussy, but *i* was starting to get worried, so i gave her half a children's glycerine suppository, and she went just fine...she hadn't actually been constipated (stool was soupy peanut butter consistency). we're coming up on another week since her last poop...i'm just not even gonna worry about it again unless she goes past 3 weeks.

always remember to judge constipation based on the poop's consistency, not frequency.

as for probiotics...i believe there are infant probiotics out there, but i've just been taking the probiotics myself. that way we're both getting some benefit out of it.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page