Pediatrician setting breastfeeding moms up for failure! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi lactivist mamas (and papas if you're out there)! I need some advice on how to deal with an arrogant, misinformed pediatrician. I've sent this question to Dr. Jay Gordon and my LLL leader, but I would also like to hear your unfettered advice too!

My good friend, Amy, gave birth a little over a week ago to a wonderful, healthy, happy, baby boy. She took her baby for his one week well baby visit to Dr. C., a pediatrician who had been recommended to her by her midwives. During the visit, Dr. C. asked how the baby was feeding and Amy described to him that sometimes the baby nursed in clusters of many short (5 min) feedings, and other times he stayed on the breast for up to an hour. Dr. C. told her "You are setting your baby up for colic by feeding frequently. He's going to be extremely gassy and colicky." He also told her that there was "no such thing as nipple confusion and that she should start giving him a pacifier right away." He also told her that she should "feed no more than 5 to 10 minutes each side, every 2 to 3 hours, so he can digest his milk." When Amy tried to bring up needing to feed longer in order to get a balance of fore and hind milk, Dr. C. cut her off saying "Let me tell you about digestion!" He then very heatedly gave her a lecture on infant digestion which completely ignored milk composition and lactational differences among woman.

Amy is a mild tempered, soft spoken woman who was very upset by how this doctor treated her. Luckily, she is also well-read and an experienced breast-feeding mother so she knew that what this doctor was telling her was wrong. Even so, the exchange shook her confidence enough that she questioned the attentiveness she was giving her new baby. Both she and I are horrified to think that there are first-time moms going to this doctor and getting this kind of advice (and being treated poorly if they have the guts to question it). We especially fear for the moms and their poor babies if they take his advice. It really sounds like this doctor is setting them up for failure!

I'm generally a hothead, so I'd like to warn the world about this doctor, report him to the medical board to try and get him in hot water, and/or have a nurse-in outside his office, etc. But, I realize these are probably not the most positive ways of educating or producing a change of heart in a doctor. Do you wise folks have any advice on ways we can educate this doctor about breastfeeding?

Thanks!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#2 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all, I'd send him info from medical journals written by doctors (preferably other pediatricians) that contradict what he said. He's more likely to pay attention to what he's being told if it's from within his own profession, as opposed to from LLL or IBCLC, etc.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 PM

It doesn't sound like he is openminded enough to look anything ... Good luck, if you actually can convince him to change his ways I'd love to know what works!!!

Also what a horrible uneducated man!
#4 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tell the midwives about this so they'll quit recommending this jerk. Let the local LLL members know that that's what they'll excounter if they go to him.

Send him the professional literature. Send him Dr. Gordon's "How to tell if a doctor does not support breastfeeding" article. Highlight the ones he's done. Send him the AAP statement about breastfeeding, highlighting the relevent portions he's violating....

She should, if possible, find another doc, and she should bluntly and in no uncertain terms tell this one why she's leaving him.

If he's that ignorant about something so basic as breastfeeding, in what other areas of medicine has he substituted falsehood and personal prejudice for fact?

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 03:01 PM

You know, from what you wrote, it sounds like the doctor is reciting the breastfeeding advice I read about on the Pearl's web site . I was curious about their views on breastfeeding and they have the same crap about colic and digestion and blah blah blah. I'm sure that if that doctor is giving out advice from 'To Train Up a Child', he's probably giving all his patients very, VERY bad advice. I would advise that your friend find herself a new pediatrician soon!

hang.gif  

#6 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 05:59 PM

He's not worth changing. Find a new doctor and once she does, she can write a detailed letter telling him why.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#7 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
Tell the midwives about this so they'll quit recommending this jerk. Let the local LLL members know that that's what they'll excounter if they go to him.

Send him the professional literature. Send him Dr. Gordon's "How to tell if a doctor does not support breastfeeding" article. Highlight the ones he's done. Send him the AAP statement about breastfeeding, highlighting the relevent portions he's violating....
ditto

Quote:
If he's that ignorant about something so basic as breastfeeding, in what other areas of medicine has he substituted falsehood and personal prejudice for fact?
i would probably ask him this..... :

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#8 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:

She should, if possible, find another doc, and she should bluntly and in no uncertain terms tell this one why she's leaving him.

I second all of that. I would definitely send him a letter telling him why I was not seeing him anymore and say that I would tell all of the people I know to not use him as a doc. No one should be treated that way.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#9 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 PM

In addition to contacting him directly (which I do not think will help) and informing the midwives of his distinctly poor practices...

Does he practice alone or with a group? If in a group, be sure to contact them as well!

#10 of 12 Old 09-13-2004, 11:37 PM

Maybe a write in is in order?

We can all anonymously send him literature that knocks down his beleifs?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#11 of 12 Old 09-14-2004, 01:35 AM

I can sympathize with this mom. My daughter's first ped (he left the practice in charge of her current ped) told me the same things. They both told me that Eva needed to eat 15 minutes each side every two hours. They also told me it was okay to supplement and that a lot of mothers couldn't maintain adequet supply for their babies. They even gave me a sample can of formula (dairy formula that we ended up needing 5 months later that made her sick and gave her eczema!)
I want to wish you all luck, if you choose to write him and point out his wrongdoings, or if she chooses to find a new ped.
Good luck1!!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice!

Amy notified her midwives about this doctor right away. They were surprised because he had been recommended by another one of their clients. They said they definitely will stop recommending him!

Unfortunately, Amy cannot change doctors for another month. Why, is kind of complicated, and I'm not 100% sure of the specifics, but my understanding is she moved her insurance coverage to another city in order to go there and have a VBAC. (Our local hospital won't allow VBACS, thats a whole nother rant!) Now she has to wait a certain amount of time before she can switch her insurance back to our town, and a decent pediatrician. As of now, she has just stopped going to the well baby visits.

I agree that this doctor probably won't change his stance, so I've been trying to warn others about him. I have been trying to contact LLL in that town to let them know about this doctor as well. I just got one of the leader's phone numbers e-mailed to me and will call her as soon as I get off-line. Does anybody know if it is against our user agreement to discuss specific doctors here at MDC? I would like to post a warning in the Ventura/So Cal Tribal area about him.

Meiri, can you tell me how to get that article by Dr. Gordon? Is it available on his website?

Thanks again for all your advice!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page