Top five reasons you chose to breastfeed (and keep it up) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another one of my friends just gave up breastfeeding after less than a month. I was so disappointed (I know, not my kid so why do I care?) though of course I didn't say anything... why bother when her mind is already made up and risk the friendship?

Anyway I know very few people IRL who breastfed beyond the hospital! And it got my wondering why I hung in there. We had a terrible start... bad latch, horribly sore nipples, overactive let down... it took a good 12-13 weeks before I didn't feel like quitting every day. My mom kept telling me it was ok to quit and I was formula fed and turned out fine... and how on earth would I find time at work to pump for a year!?!?!? :

Long story short: top five reasons I didn't quit:

1. Breastmilk is superior infant food, designed especially for my baby by ME!
2. I felt that breastfeeding was a way to bond with my baby that I didn't want to miss out on.
3. I was completely blown away that my body created and nourished DD for nine months, and that she continued to need nourishment only from me outside the womb!
4. I was capable of producing (lots of) milk and didn't want it to go to waste, especially when there are women who don't produce (enough of) it
5. My DH was incredibly supportive and helped me back to reality when I was on the edge and ready to quit.

How about all of you? What made you stick it out through the tough stuff? (thrush, mastitis, sore nipples, gymnastics, twiddling, etc!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 PM

Its free.

I am too lazy to sterilize bottles wide awake, much less in the middle of the night.

I never carried a diaper bag. I tossed a couple of dipes and wipes in my purse and took dd everywhere.

Because its natural. My milk is made for my kids.

Did I mention free? lol
#3 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:03 PM

In no particular order, my favorite things...

It seemed like what I should do, since it's made perfectly by me for my own baby.

Immune-boosting and brain-boosting.

Promotes bonding.

Cheap and convenient and helps me and my kids get more sleep.

Helps me lose post partum weight.

Keeps my period away for a whole year.

I don't have to think about "how much" to feed the baby (they always eat exactly the right amount).

Helps prevent breast cancer.
#4 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:08 PM

The only reason I knew I would breastfeed:

*it's never been a choice to me. It's what comes after having a baby.

The reason I have worked hard at it:

*because I know there is nothing better for my child

*because I love cuddling and nursing

*because my baby loves to nurse and it's important to him

*because it's natural and what's natural is good.

*because I don't want my baby to be sick (or less sick) and I can protect him by nursing and giving him my antibodies
#5 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:18 PM

Breast is Best
Breast is Best
Breast is Best
Breast is Best

And even when its not easy, when it hurts, when you're up all night, when you're the only one who can't leave your baby with the sitter:

Breast is Best

I can't fathom choosing NOT to do the best thing for my child.

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:18 PM

1. I'm LAAAAAAAAAAZZZZYYYYY! I love sleep, especially at night! If I had had to get up and actually become (gasp!!) vertical instead of rolling around and giving my daughter Ms. Boobie, I would've gone nuts from sleeplessness.

2. I'm poor! Boobie milk is free, free, free.

3. I really hated carrying around a ton of useless cr** in a diaper bag and breastmilk is totally portable, never goes bad, and is always the right temperature.

4. Immunities, supposedly higher I.Q., and the best thing for her!

5. Best of all, she LOVED it. She'd still be nursing if I hadn't gone dry around the time she was 2.5 years old.

6. WONDERFUL baby soother.
#7 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 PM

*I wanted to do something good to make it up to my DS for smoking when I was pregnant with him. ( I don't smoke anymore, I can't stand the taste anymore for some reason)

*I'm too lazy to make bottles.

*I couldn't afford formula even if I wanted to give it to him.

*I like being able to squirt milk at DF. (LMAO :LOL)

*It gives me an excuse to sit down all the time.

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#8 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:27 PM

I'll ditto this
Quote:
it's never been a choice to me. It's what comes after having a baby.
I personally didn't even consider formula as an option, and as I (and the baby) had no significant medical issues, this was a no-brainer. We had a very challenging beginning and the first week was really hard, but we got through it.

So, I guess...

1) best possible nutrition I could provide my baby
2) most efficient way to assist/boost his immune system
3) bonding
4) convenience - esp. b/c we travel a good deal and for the first six plus months, all of his food was prepacked
5) I love cuddling and holding him so close

(of course, weight loss, reduction in breast cancer risk, etc etc are great side benefits!!)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#9 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:31 PM

1) It's the healthiest food for babies
2) It's the easiest way to feed a baby
3) It made me sooo skinny!
4) No periods!
5) Cause, ummm, I'm a mammal, and, uh, that's what breasts are for?

ETA, #3 and 4 are just gravy. The others were the sale for me.

And then these probably would have been my dcs' top reasons:

1) It's yummy
2) It feels good in my tummy
3) I get to be close to Mama
4) It makes me feel better when I'm upset
5) It will make me smart and strong
#10 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:35 PM

Only one reason: its normal. ABM is for emergency situations, and what a pity women can't work together to get breastmilk into the babies who are currently getting ABM.

Best for baby, best for mama, should be the only option for more than 90% of mothers.

As I nurse this 4th baby, I notice another outstanding benefit: hormones! I'm stressed and sleep-deprived, much more than with the others. But I keep the warm fuzzies for baby going, by breastfeeding. I'm having some 'issues' about the pregnancy and birth, and I really wonder if I would resent the baby or love him less, if I wasn't breastfeeding. (the farther we get from the birth, the more my body recovers, the chubbier and more responsive he gets, the better I feel. I adore him now, but I didn't at first like I did with my other children).

When T was born, we couldn't get him to latch on, or stay awake. I had to work so hard, teaching him, pumping, feeding him with an eyedropper until he got big enough and strong enough to stay awake. And even now at 8 weeks, he has a very high palate and can't stay latched on without help. So every feeding is difficult, and he nurses every hour around the clock, but he's thriving. Of course I'll keep on. He may get better at it as he grows, but at least I don't have to pump!

whew, I guess I needed to talk about that~!
#11 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 PM

Oh gosh yes! Prolactin! I loooved that prolactin high.
#12 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 PM

Why did I start and continue...

5. It's FREE
4. Great immunities for baby.
3. Reduced risk of certain types of cancer for me.
2. Reduced risk of chrones(sp?) disease
1. It really TICKED my mil off. She REALLY wanted me to at least suplement and would call me a purest in a not so nice way, so every time I thought about giving my oldest a bottle of formula I would think of the great joy that it would give my mil and resist. I should thank her! :LOL
#13 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:38 PM

I only needed one reason to start bf'ing and to continue it...

IT'S WHAT MY BABY WAS BORN TO DRINK!
#14 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:48 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add...

Because right from the very moment she was born, IT MADE MY DAUGHTER SO HAPPY.

Even to this day (she's almost 4) she snuggles into my boobies or goes into great happy dances shouting, "Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!" whenever she sees them.

I've never liked my boobs...until she did.
#15 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 PM

Not in any particular order...
1. Because it's the right thing to do.
2. It's the single most wonderful thing I can do for my ds.
3. It's great bonding time.
4. It helped him go to sleep more easily (My ds was/is not big on going to sleep.)
5. It was so easy to go places and not have to worry about how much stuff to bring or when he would get hungry. I could just stop for 5 minutes and feed him anywhere. And there was no gross stuff to clean later.

I do carry a diaper bag, but it's mostly full of other stuff (toys, lotion, etc.)
And I had it easy in the beginning (I didn't know this then) and still thought it was hard, but kept going anyway, and now I love it and miss it so much!
And if I honestly had to add a 6th reason, I really like having bigger boobs!

treehugger.gifMom of one angel1.gif(12/28/02) ,one babyboy.gif(12/2/03), one babygirl.gif(12/28/05) and 2 dog2.gif and 2 cat.gif

#16 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:51 PM

I don't need five reasons! It's the ONLY choice!
#17 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I decided very early on in life that I would breastfeed my babes. So in no particular order:
~ It's free, I didn't want to have to worry about spending hundreds of $$$ on formula (have y' seen the cost of a can?? )
~ My mother did it and encouraged me early on that it's what's best for babies (YEAH mom for passing on the knowledge )
~ I KNEW breast was best, antibodies, brain food, etc.
~ I KNEW it would encourage bonding between me and DS
~ I wanted to go against the grain of the REST of my family (dad's side, step-father's side, DH's side...) and be the black sheep LACTIVISTS!!!

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#18 of 59 Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 PM

1. My daughter only gets the best.
2. My daughter only gets the best.
3. My daughter only gets the best.
4. My daughter only gets the best.
5. My daughter only gets the best.
#19 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 12:58 AM

1) It's the best quality, healthiest food for a baby.
2) Helps her immune system. Especially important since she is in daycare.
3) Dairy allergies run in my family; did not want to quit nursing only to find out she would not thrive on formula
4) When everyone else around me was hogging my baby, it gave me a good excuse to spirit her away and go snuggle with her... selfish, but I have to admit it's a reason...
5) My mom did it. My grandma did it. So I grew up assuming I would too.
#20 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 AM

Good thread.

I cant think of the original 5 reasons....my oldest is 17. and it never occurred to me to give formula.

Please understand i was operating on gut instinct here, as my mom bottle fed me and my brother (she was supportive though ) and i was the first of our friends to have a baby. The only research or reading i did was the LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

My grandmother, my dad's mom, was my biggest supporter. She nursed my dad till he was almost three (he would be 59 now, if he was still alive), which was so not the fashion!
#21 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 01:53 AM

In no particular order...

• After you give birth, your breasts make milk. It's pretty obvious what to do here.
• I like my sleep. It's way easier to pull up my shirt and plug the kiddo in than get up and make a bottle.
• It's FREE
• I was looking for an excuse to flash my boobs in public
• My aunt is an IBCLC and would probably never speak to me again if I didn't nurse my babies.
#22 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 AM

* for the first time in my life I was at least a B cup and I wanted to stay that way
* we had no car or dishwasher to sterilize stuff and I could not just run to the store to get formula
* I had bought nursing bras while I was pregnant not bigger regular bras
* I was into Adele Davis nutrition for myself and she promoted bfing
* I babysat enough before having kids to know the dif in smell of bf poos & formula poo
#23 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 02:12 AM

1. It is natural. I had wanted a natural water birth, ten years ago when I believed the urban legend that to get pregnant all you have to do is have sex (ha!). Ten grueling years of infertility procedures later I was damned if I wasn't going to do SOMETHING natural for these babies!!!!
2. Everything else came after. I truly had no idea breastmilk was in any way superior to formula and didn't care (gasp). I just wanted to do something natural. In the everything else category: superior nutrition; immunities; allergy protection; variety of textures, flavors, and antibodies depending on time of day and infants' needs; etc etc etc
3-4. La Leche League and my LC were so encouraging when it got tough - and it got extremely tough and stayed tough for months and months.
5. I have a head made of solid concrete. Once an idea is in there NOTHING can budge it out. Ask my DH!

Great thread!
#24 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 02:30 AM

1. It just felt like the right thing to do.
2. When I realized I would never have to actually get out of bed to feed dd in the middle of the night, it made more sense.
3. It's free.
4. Milk was squirting out of me like a faucet, what else was I supposed to do with it? DH wouldn't drink it (well, he eventually tried it, but that's another thread, and TMI)
5. I enjoyed breastfeeding. We have very busy lives, and nursing made me slow down and smell the baby--even when I figured out how to sling, nurse and walk.

I actually never had any problems breastfeeding. I had a hard time pumping after 6 months, but nursing came easy. I count myself lucky that I had no physical hurdles.
#25 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansmommy
We had a terrible start... bad latch, horribly sore nipples, overactive let down... it took a good 12-13 weeks before I didn't feel like quitting every day. My mom kept telling me it was ok to quit and I was formula fed and turned out fine... and how on earth would I find time at work to pump for a year!?!?!? :
Me too!!!!

here are my reasons

1) I like that I am not only helping my daughter now but breastfeeding her sets her up to be hopefully healthy for her entire life

2) Lower risk of me and her developing breast cancer

3) Lower risk of her becoming obese later on....I was not exclusively breastfed and my mom weaned me at 5 months and I have had horrible weight issues since puberty.

4) Hello how cheap is breastfeeding?

5) My daughter has Kidney reflux and I thought that breastmilk would be the best thing for that.

also DD has a milk and soy allergy so even if I wanted to quit which I don't I don't have a lot of other options.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#26 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 03:16 AM

the top reason was that when i saw what colustrum + breastmilk do for cuts / abrasions, i thought, now what's it doing for the kid's insides?? that amazed me enough to renew my vow to breastfeed no matter what.

other reasons...

it gives me an excuse to drop everyting + cuddle

it is the ONLY food meant for babies

it is the PERFECT food for babies

i CAN

it's free

i always have more of it when i need it

i love watching her giggle while she nurses

it reaffirms that, at leastfor now, she + i are truly still one unit; we're sharing this awesome symbiosis

it reduces my risk of breast cancer

it calms me down when i'm stressed out

she's always there to warm me up on cold days

have you ever read the ingredients of formula??!!

breastmilk poopies are not the noxious bits of yuck that formula produces

i wholly regretted not breastfeeding my son and so vowed to breastfeed any future children "come hell or high water" and i intend to keep that promise

and completely vain but... i now have a luscious bust!!!! and it's helping me keep losing weight.

no, i can't count to five.
#27 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 05:01 AM

I breast feed my ds(2months) for two reasons.
1) my first ds had latch one problems and i was young and gave up. I feel the yurrning to make up for that.
2) When my beautiful ds is nursings and in the middle of it all he stops and looks up at me and smiles, it melts my heart, and i know i would never have it any other way. To know that my body makes and substains the need that comes from my ds is amazing. I have BFed since day one and will do so until ds wants to stop, even through thrush (the pain is intense) I wouldn't have it any other way.

amanda

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#28 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 01:36 PM

1. It's physically and emotionally healthy for my baby.
2. It's physically and emotionally healthy for me.
3. It's free.
4. It's environmentally friendly.
5. It comes conveniently packaged and is easy to dispense.
#29 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 03:07 PM

Formula raises the infant mortality rate. That's pretty much all I needed to know. But since you said five...

It's how Mammals are designed to feed their offspring.

It will decrease ds's risk of disease right up into his old age, long after I'm gone.

It will lower my risk of breast and ovarian cancer and osteoporosis. That'll help me enjoy my golden years in better health.

It may occassionally be difficult but overall it is much less hassle to solve a breastfeeding problem than to spend your time dealing with formula paraphenalia and extra dr visits.
#30 of 59 Old 09-30-2004, 03:26 PM

I had FF my first two boys so BFing was a big change for me, I knew the advantages and disadvantages of both first hand but once I started BFing honestly the thought of going to formula never entered my mind despite horrible problems with mastitis and an abscess that wouldn't go away (plus all the usual problems that occur during the first few weeks like the awful nipple pain). My top reasons, in no particular order, maybe end up being more then five here...

It's the best nutrition for the baby

The immunity properties

It's FREE

It's always the right temperature

Never need to clean bottles, never need to buy bottles, never need to take bottles with us (I could go on but you get the idea)

No need to run out and buy expensive formula

No need to bring expensive formula with me everytime I go out

Calmed baby down like nothing else in 2.5 seconds

It annoyed my MIL too

Became a unique bonding experience that only me and my baby could share together - that was so special

I lost my post partum weight super quick

Never needing to get out of bed to feed the baby!

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that came to mind the fastest...

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page