8 or 9 times a day... Is that a lot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes...

I was chatting with a friend last night - the only friend I have who has a baby (9 months old) - and she said she (the mom, not the baby) was beginning to wean. She had been nursing her DD "eight or nine times a day" and she felt like that was too much. Is 8 or 9 nursing sessions a day more than normal for a 9 month old?

I wanted to say "If you nurse your baby when she's hungry, then it's not too much nursing!" but whaddo I know - I have no baby...

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 10:33 AM

nak...No, I don't think it's too much (I don't think DS ever nursed that little unless he was having a "strike"). I still nurse my 2.5 year old toddler at least that much (on top of nursing my newborn). It's a lot if you compare it to formula feeding, but nursing is more than just eating.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:13 PM

is definitely not too much. And you are completely right. If you nurse your baby when your baby is hungry, then , NO, its not too much nursing.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 PM

Does not seem like too much to me! But then again I know a few people who said their drs told them that they need to have their babies eating 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks by 9 months, so its possible maybe her dr is pushing her to nurse less and feed more baby food (grrr the nerve). I have been trying to explain to them that the nutrients that the child gets from its milk is adequate enough and some people and drs believe that its best to hold off for a year on solids completely, and those babies are just fine... but I cannot find a link to convince them otherwise, so for now they just think I am crazy. Its possible maybe she is the same way. No matter what the situation, poor baby, its going to be hard for him to give that up, hopefully she does it at least very slowly and caringly
Old 10-06-2004, 01:53 PM

I agree with your answer! If you nurse the baby when they are hungry, than that is not too much
Old 10-06-2004, 02:11 PM

Sheesh, my 22 month old still will nurse that often some days. No such thing as too much nursing, health wise. Especially when they are going thru lots of developmental changes (as is common around 9 months) they will often seek reassurance and comfort from teething and separation anxiety. Bonus that they get extra calories and immune benefits. It's an all around good deal. Maybe she is in a "touched out" phase and is feeling antsy? Could be she needs to start doing some Mom Only things to decompress. There's lots of ways to deal with that.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:52 PM

Definitely not too much! Miss A announced she was done nursing when she was 3 years 5 months. Up until that point she was still nursing once to ten times a day! At 9 months she was nursing every 1 1/2-2 hours around the clock. Literally. Mr. Man was nursing 8 times a day (every three hours) at 9 months. Of course 6 months later he was nursing 1 1/2 times that for some reason.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:23 PM

That's definately not too much, especially when you take into account that they need a certain amount of comfort nursing as well. Poor baby. Is the mama really going to wean? Can you give her some info on the benefits of continuing? If it comes down to it, tell her she can always cut down. She doesn't have to completely wean.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe
I wanted to say "If you nurse your baby when she's hungry, then it's not too much nursing!"

I have no idea how often DS nurses. I don't count.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 13 month old nurses at least that many times, so I'd have to say it's not too much.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 10-06-2004, 10:35 PM

Do you mean in 24 hours?

Both my kids nursed waaaaay more than 8-9 times in 24 hours at 9 months. Now, 8-9 times during their 13 daylight hours... maybe.

Kay

Old 10-07-2004, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, ladies!

Baby isn't being weaned completely, so hopefully she's not suffering too much. Mom says she's trying to night-wean and to cut down on the number of nursing sessions during the day. I get the impression that their ped thinks that the babe should be on an adult-type meal schedule like mikenabbysmommy described, and also that mom is feeling touched-out, like velcromom described.

I'm trying to be as supportive as I can without sounding like I know everything, ya know? They BFed exclusively for the first six months, and I've told my friend repeatedly how proud I am of her for it. And I've told her that the solids=sleep through the night thing is a myth. But apparently the kiddo gets great pleasure from throwing applesauce on the wall, so who am I to say the baby shouldn't have solid food yet?

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM

I wish my 13 month old dd only nursed 9 times a day! I'm exhausted!

User Tag List