Feelings of milk letdown 2 years after weaning? Possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried unsuccessfully for a month to nurse my DS (who is now 2 years old). I stopped when I developed severe PPD and could find no knowledgeable LC to help me continue with success.

Travel forward to now, 2 years later. It is the oddest thing...there are many times that I think about babies in general, my DS, hear him crying or see him do something really sweet, or I am snuggling him, that I still get that letdown feeling, and my breasts get all tingly.

Is it my imagination? How is this possible since I nursed for such a short time and barely had any milk even then (even confirmed by a LC). My DH is amazingly supportive, but even back when DS was a newborn thought he didn't like the idea of older toddlers nursing. However, he has now said that my body probably still expects to be nursing my child, and still has "phantom" nursing feelings all this time later even though my milk is gone. Funny how having a child really changes your perspective huh?

So what is the deal with my body? I just saw the post about the mom here nursing her 3 yr. old, saw the picture, thought about my DS, and had that tingly feeling.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MWs assistant swears she still has letdown (less the milk) in her late 50s not having nursed in like 20 years. Guess it can happen. BTW, i'm pregnant and not nursing and have it all the time.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Funny you should mention this. I weaned a little over 2 years ago and had a mamogram yesterday.

While talking to the tech about my history and all and breastfeeding, I swear I felt a let down. No milk but the tingling feeling. Weird
#4 of 5 Old 10-23-2004, 01:18 PM

When my oldest dd was a newborn, my aunts came to visit my mother. My one aunt said that whenever my dd would cry to nurse or she would see me nursing that she felt the let-down tingle. She was - at the time - in her late 50's/early 60's.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#5 of 5 Old 10-23-2004, 04:03 PM

When ds was a newborn a friends mom was talking to me while I nursed and when ds pulled off and let out a big cry she said she felt letdown. She said it happens to her all the time when she hears a newborn or sees someone nurse. It's been 25 years since she nursed! It seems like it's pretty common

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page