Breastfeeding Nazi - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think about the term breastfeeding Nazi?
Would you call yourself a breastfeeding Nazi?
Do you know how the term started being used?

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 PM

I absolutely hate/am offended by the use of the word nazi to describe anything other than, well, nazis (as in xenophobic German political/military forces who murdered millions).

It is especially vile that the word is used to frequently in conjunction with women who dare take a stand about an issue that affects women -- the term femi-nazi makes my skin crawl, and I feel the same way about describing a zealous breastfeeding advocate that way.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#3 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM

It's a vile, awful, horrible, hurtful term. Being passionate about breastfeeding in no way equals needless gruesome killing of many innocent people.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

#4 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 01:50 PM

To me, it just means a millitant breastfeeder. I would probably fit the description up to 24months, after which I followed CLW. Befor that though, no nursing strike was too big to overcome. I just felt that the longterm benifits of having the breastmilk(and we have health issues in my family) were too important. I am not offended by the time, becuase I think in this case Nazi has evolved to just mean militant. I am in no way supposrting what they did.
#5 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Oh, and one other thing I just thought of...the term should absolutely be abolished... How would a woman feel if she was called a breastfeeding nazi, but she had family members who were honest-to-goodness victims of the real nazis? I just can't bear to make that mistake...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 02:05 PM

I agree completely. It is an offensive term regardless of what it is describing.

During the election my husband left Target to find a note pinned to our 1994 Volvo station wagon that read Liberal Nazi's love Kerry

What the heck is a liberal Nazi. Isn't that some sort of oxymoron?

Stephany
#7 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Its very hurtful. I've been on the recieving end of that term online and never "spoke" to that group of people again. I think that it is much more prevailent online than IRL, because people are more willing to say things online that they would never say to someone's face.
#8 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 02:57 PM

While the term doesn't really bother me, I don't use it.
I really think the term came from pure jealousy. Some woman who was deeply gulity that she cheated her child out of breastfeeding for whatever reason, thought of the ugliest thing she could and called some nursing mother that. And it never made her feel better either.

That's how I imagine it anyway....
#9 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 PM

I think to use the word Nazi for anything other than the perpetuators of the Holocaust is offensive to not only those being called Nazis for whatever reason (unless it is Genocidal, I guess) as well as those who were actually affected by the true Nazis.

#10 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 12:55 AM

My mom used to call LLL 'breastfeeding nazis' She had zero experience with nazis or LLL with the exception of a single breastfeeding woman who approached her to attend a meeting shortly after she had weaned me. The woman mentioned that she and her daughter were a "nursing couple" and my mom was totally grossed out.

Now I realize she has some tremendous guilt about not bfing me (only child), especially when she sees how much importance I place on it for our DD. SHe's done a total 180 from making mooing noises when I went to feed (yes, seriously) to applauding me for providing dd the best nutrition.

So, ITA with the pp who said it's a jealousy/ guilt thing.
#11 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 12:56 AM

Oh, and may I say too that LLL is the polar opposite of nazi... gentle guidance, support and education is what I found there and I'm forever grateful
#12 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 01:01 AM

I have heard that too about LLL.. and could not disagree more. How is being a caring, responsible and advocate organization, the same thing as a nazi?? I don't like the term at all, and it doesn't make sense, the formula companies are closer to being nazis more than we are, after all, they want the power and they don't care if people die so they can achieve that!
#13 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not only is that term hateful and abhorrent, it's an absolute lie.

I don't care how "militant" one is in support of breastfeeding, as long as no one--particularly us--is imprisoning and gassing to death moms who formula feed, to call any of us nazis is to go beyond lie straight through to mindboggling out of touch with reality on any level.....

I can't wrap my mind around how anybody with at least one functioning braincell can make the comparison.

"What will you do once you know?"
#14 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 02:30 PM

I think I read somewhere a term for when an argument has degenerated to being compared to Nazis/Hitler. Can't remember what it was.
#15 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I hate anything with the word Nazi in it. :Puke

AnnMarie
45 & 60 and starting over.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 3, he has 4, and we had
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aidan 2/9/17

for another
#16 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 02:38 PM

I hate that term, for the reasons that have already been mentioned.
#17 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM

I don't know how I feel. I think people use the term nazi so loosely these days. I have heard it becoming more popular since the 'Soup Nazi' episode of Seinfeld. So now everyone thinks it's appropriate to use when describing anyone who is passionate about something.
I don't like it much, but it doesn't make me cringe when I hear it. The term has been softened recently. I wish it did have an affect on me!
#18 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 03:44 PM

I have called certain people "militant" when it comes to breastfeeding, childbirth, and other issues. But the word "nazi" is just as offensive as the other "N" word I think people should never ever use.
#19 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
I think I read somewhere a term for when an argument has degenerated to being compared to Nazis/Hitler. Can't remember what it was.
Godwin's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
#20 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've done some more research and found that some dictionaries have added a definition for Nazi as being someone who is fanatic. I hope there are groups that are opposing the use of the word Nazi.

There are women who actually want to start a Bad Mothers Club because they did not breastfeed. Women who call others breastfeeding Nazis are often very angry. They seem to think that breastfeeding mothers judge them. I think breastfeeding advocates feel sorry for bottle feeding mothers and babies. Advocates may believe that they didn't breastfeed or stopped breastfeeding because of inaccurate info. That may be part of what they (women who would call other women Nazis) get so upset about - they find out that they should have/could have breastfed after all - and they take out their anger on any breastfeeding mother who comes along.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#21 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 11:01 PM

This is quite timely for me b/c I was jsut wondering the same thing. My freind is expecting her 1st baby and lucky for me she has asked me for zall my advice. Of course breastfeeding is on the top of my list. I was sending her yet another email about some brestmilk fact and I almost put, "From your friend the breastfeeding nazi" It didn't sit right in my brain so I deleted it. I was only thinking, initially, of the militant stance..I am glad you ladies shed light on the actual reason I was uncomfortable with the term.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#22 of 26 Old 01-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
Thank you, I couldn't remember it! I'll look at the link.
#23 of 26 Old 01-09-2005, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
Oh, and one other thing I just thought of...the term should absolutely be abolished... How would a woman feel if she was called a breastfeeding nazi, but she had family members who were honest-to-goodness victims of the real nazis? I just can't bear to make that mistake...

I felt beyond really crappy about it, that's how.

BTW, am thinking that Rush Limbaugh gets the "credit" for using that term in an anti-woman way, with his "feminazi" nastiness. Unless he didn't invent that one either ...
#24 of 26 Old 01-09-2005, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
It's offensive beyond belief.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#25 of 26 Old 01-09-2005, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans
Women who call others breastfeeding Nazis are often very angry. They seem to think that breastfeeding mothers judge them. I think breastfeeding advocates feel sorry for bottle feeding mothers and babies. Advocates may believe that they didn't breastfeed or stopped breastfeeding because of inaccurate info. That may be part of what they (women who would call other women Nazis) get so upset about - they find out that they should have/could have breastfed after all - and they take out their anger on any breastfeeding mother who comes along.
as someone who stopped breastfeeding due to inaccurate/lack of info, during the grieving period (before i became educated), i did feel like some breastfeeding mothers judged me, however, i never called them nazis. now that i'm educated and know that i could have breastfed after all, i still don't call them nazis or take my anger out on them. i may be jealous, but that's my own issue.

people who use the word 'nazi' towards other people have no concept just how harmful that word really is. just because they're angry or whatever, that's no excuse.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#26 of 26 Old 01-09-2005, 03:11 PM

thoroughly loathsome. despicable. (but it is a tidy way for someone to pigeonhole themself, so i can immediately discount every other morsel of excreta that issues from their mouth or keyboard.)

now 'militant' i proudly proclaim myself...

suse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page