Quoted: 0 Post(s)
removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How about nursing your baby up to the six month rule, during bible study, with a blanket over your shoulder that reads, "I'm just feeding my baby, don't blame me for your dirty mind" :LOL Ok not helpful at all but wow that is just goofy, especially since it's a sudden change from being pro-bf at any age. I wonder if they could explain what changes from the day a baby is 5 months 31 days, to the very next day when they turn 6 months, that makes it suddenly taboo... blech. I'd be really steamed too.

Don't know if it will have anything you'll find useful but a very inspirational site I love is www.007b.com.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If enough of you quit over this bs policy, they won't have much of a group now will they?

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Send them a nice picture of Madonna and Child, with child nursing. (And it helps if the "Child" looks older than 6 months!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
Send them a nice picture of Madonna and Child, with child nursing. (And it helps if the "Child" looks older than 6 months!
That is what I was thinking!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is just horrific. What state are you in? Ugh!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-15-2005, 08:09 PM

my dh believes that the breast of a woman is most beautiful when enjoyed by the children she nurtures. When not in use, they are as sexual and inviting as her elbow!
(what a guy huh?)
I agree w/pp about the group deminishing because of this silly rule.
They are denying your love of learning of God because you wish to nurture your child the way God intended?
Doesn't seem very Christ-like to me.
Hey, do you think Jesus was fed efamil?
Sorry- off topic there for a second...
http://pages.tca.net/mpwalker/christ...entscript.html
hope this helps

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:13 PM

(Psalms 22:10)
10 Yet you drew me forth from the womb, made me safe at my mother's breast.
i like this one!

Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 PM

I have to say that I would no longer be attending that Bible study. Our small group is fabulous, two breastfeeding mothers and fathers, two pregnant mothers, and other really supportive people. Perhaps you can search out within your church for like minded peopl to start your own group.

This would be really hurtful to me. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 PM

How about Isaiah 49:15
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?"

The passage goes on to say "Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" which to me means that God's love is even stronger than a mother's love--and that's no small thing!!!

If the "bible study" group doesn't change their "rule," I'd be out of there. I don't know how much benefit their interpretation could be if they don't even believe that God made breasts to nurture babies.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 02-15-2005, 08:25 PM

Thank god I'm an athiest.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM

I saw a great graphic of Christ and Mary with a pro-bf message in a thread recently but can't find it now...anyone know where that was?

Here's another website about why the church should promote breastfeeding:
http://pages.tca.net/mpwalker/christianparentpromo.html

Go get 'em!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:37 PM

Man,if my coven ever tried implimenting a rule like that they'd never hear the end of it from me. What a thoughtless thing for them to force upon nursing mothers
Old 02-15-2005, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How about starting a new bible study group with all the women who have just resigned in protest? Hold it at your house.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans
(Psalms 22:10)
10 Yet you drew me forth from the womb, made me safe at my mother's breast.
i like this one!
Okay maybe this is just how I am but I would send the people in charge of the group a nice card that politely addressed my concerns and have the ladies that have quit and don't agree with this new policy also sign it then add that passage at the end, except after the quote in red I would add "until I was 6 months old and you sent me to the nursey!" I think the point would be heard loud and clear. But that it just how my mind works!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:42 PM

The Bible speaks often of "infants and nursing children." Samuel stayed with Hannah until he was weaned. The priests allowed it; God allowed it. Why wouldn't the same be allowed in a Bible study group. Also, Samuel was not a baby when he was weaned. He was older, probably closer to 6 years of age before he weaned. He went to the temple to learn, not to be mothered.

Moses mother was brought to the palace to NURSE Moses, since, of course, the Pharoah's daughter could not. She was his nanny, but also fed him.

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

removed
Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 PM

www.gentlemothering.com has a bible study on breastfeeding

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 PM

You know what? This came from the Bible study group, right? If this is church affiliated, I would get in touch with the pastor ASAP. My dh is a pastor, and he would have a fit if someone in his church tried to arbitrarily start a policy like this.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Are there men and women in this group?
If so, I would say if "distraction" were the cause for concern than there could just as well already be enough of it. Forget breastfeeding.
I say, in a bible study group-if the group has mothers already coming, they should be understanding to distraction as it is! Any group with parents should know better!
If it is mixed, throw a blanket over to be discreet is what the rule should be if any. I don't see why babies should get the bad end of the stick for the sake of learning a bible lesson. If my kid HAS to be taken away from me for me to learn and fellowship-then I need to take myself and my baby out of there . If it isn't a mixed group thn that is just weird. You would think mothers would be more understanding?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

removed
Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM

I would still contact the pastor- especially if your state has laws against discriminating against breastfeeding women.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 PM

Well, maybe you could go to whoever heads up the entire thing?That just seems so wrong to me. If anything, whoever made up that rule has real issues that she needs to deal with as a woman of God.I mean- it is a bible study-meant to make us better people, no?I think you should go to whoever runs the show, see what they say. I think you should be allowed to breastfeed your babyanywhere. Who are they to tell you tht you HAVE to drop your kid off?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
If it is mixed, throw a blanket over to be discreet is what the rule should be if any.
I assume you mean the blanket is to go over the adults who are offended, and not the poor baby?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
Thank god I'm an athiest.

Is this statement suppose to be funny! :

I like what onlyboys had to say!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
I assume you mean the blanket is to go over the adults who are offended, and not the poor baby?
:LOL
Seriously though.
I know it would be a great feat of strength to stand up in front of the group and express how you feel. I know because I have been there. Not in this particular situation, but similar.
Might I make a suggestion to the letter?
Write it out- all of it, all that you feel and really let loose!
Then, go have a cup of tea, stretch out on the couch and sip it and re-read the letter.

Think about what you are trying to accomplish here. You want to change the poilcy? Or just let them know they stink and you're not going to attend because of this policy.

If they really cared about you and your feelings, they would welcome the much needed advice and consideration for those women who pride themselves on nurturing their children this way.

If they value you as a member of this group, they would open their hearts to understand just how painful this type of discrimination is and how it cannot be tolerated.

If they find this type of mothering, which is as old as time, to be offensive, then perhaps they are the ones who need to change. They're only possible objection to breastfeeding past 6 months is their own dysfunctional sexual self. They beileve that there must be some perverted sexual relationship between mother and child if they nurse past 6 months.
Those people who feel that there are problems with nursing past 6 months are the ones who need to seek therapy to overcome their immature sexual feelings to the event.

Lastly
Forgive them. I think that is tougher than standing up in front of the group and giving them all a raspberry!

Rise above mama and let them know they cannot treat others this way but you are willing to forgive their transgressions.

Then rewrite the letter.
Gently.

Or.....

you can tell them all to jump in a lake and laugh like hell at my previous post! I'm okay with that.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:23 PM

"That you may nurse and be satisfied with her comforting breasts, That you may suck and be delighted with her bountiful bosom."
~ Isaiah 66:11

"Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb; You made me trust when upon my mother's breasts."
~ Psalm 22:9

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 02-15-2005, 11:37 PM

I attend a mother's group which is put on by my church but no mother is ever encouraged to have her baby away from her no matter what age nursing or not.

I am for contacting the pastor of the church and letting them know about their "new policy".

What state are you in? They are probably violating state law as well.

Please let us know what comes of all of this.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
Old 02-15-2005, 11:46 PM

Perhaps you could suggest the Bible Study group be held in the Nursery. Then no one would have to leave and the sillies who made up this illegal rule could learn some basic lessons in compassion,sharing, and tolerance.
Maybe someone had an attack of Milk Pride ( remember pride is one of the 7 deadly sins) its a condition where one becomes a bit unglued when they encounter a Mom who is nursing longer than they did. Then they begin the dirty looks, snide comments etc.
Seems to me there are biblical references about bf until age two. So 6 months is barely getting started. You can check the legal section at lalacheleague.org to see if your state has bf support laws and even if they do not, the common theme is that a mother can bf anywhere she is allowed to be. Wow to whomever thought up this rule...
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Is this the pic someone was asking for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...esusnursed.jpg

User Tag List