Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Lactivism (http://www.mothering.com/forum/25-lactivism/)
-   -   Share your little success stories ~ encouraging more women to BF! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/25-lactivism/252307-share-your-little-success-stories-encouraging-more-women-bf.html)

IdentityCrisisMama 02-19-2005 11:22 AM

I thought it would be nice to share our success stories about supporting and encouraging women to BF.

I don’t have any big stories because most of the women in my life BF anyway but…

I did just encourage someone to BF longer than the ‘norm’ here, which is about 9 months ~ she ended up BFing about 14 months.

I convinced my friend who had a breast reduction and didn’t try to BF her first child to try with her second.

I have helped several friends decide to bring their child into bed for night feedings.

I helped a friend overcome her anxiety over BFing in public.

I’m sure some of you have some wonderful (and far more impressive) stories. I’d love to hear them.

leafwood 02-20-2005 12:20 AM

I would like to share that even though I was/am completely committed to BFing, I was very uncomfortable NIP when dd was young. I had the support of my new "Mom" friends that I met at a local breastfeeding support group and it was great to go out shopping with them and just sit in the food court and be able to feed our babies and talk and relax. This "safety in numbers" approach really helped me and now I will NIP almost anywhere.....my most daring was in a shoe store at an outdoor outlet mall, in NY, in Jan. Plus, there were mirrors everywhere. It was sort of funny, I sat there nursing dd and my Mom was bringing me shoes and asking for my take on them

Anyway, this may have been off topic, but the support I recieved really made a difference and I plan to nurse dd for as long as she wants......even in public!

Guava~Lush 02-20-2005 09:07 PM

OK,
well at work I encouraged 2 moms to BF. One girl had her first child and would always call me with questions and was very eager to try and stay at it. She was great, the only down side was that she smoked but she did BF for around 6 months I think. She pumped at work too. The other mom had her third and never Breastfed, so she tried for a few months too and I tried to support her just by being a cheerleader for her-she had no support from her family.

And now I know a 17 year old who had a baby 2 weeks ago and is having a very hard time. Her mother really wants her to BF so I am taking her to a local lactation consultant place kind, of so as a last ditch effort she can keep trying. I hope it works out for her.

slinginhipmama 02-20-2005 11:56 PM

I come from a family that is all about breastfeeding their babies (yes I know, I am very lucky to have this support). My mom is the eldest of her 6 siblings, all of which are woman, expect one. When I got pregnant I just thought, yeah I'll breastfeed and that's that! Boy was I wrong! My ds had such a hard time latching on ( I swear it was in part to the fact that they fed him a glucose bottle without my consent ) and I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I imagined this scene in my head thousands of times, beautiful baby cradled in my arms feeding the most natural way, oh sure I had the beautiful babe but neither one of us were happy or comfortable.

Thank heaven to my mom that kept whispering in my ear each time I was ready to give up "give it one more day" and my stubborness. My ds finally latched on and we were in nursing heaven 6 weeks later. It has paid off three fold and we nursed happily for 19 months. As for my youngest ds, he was a pro right from the start : . I have heard so many woman tell me that breastfeeding was hard for a while in the beginning, I often wonder why none of the books address this and tell us to just hang on, it does get better. Maybe more women wouldn't give up? Oh, I don't know but let me tell you I love nursing and I could NEVER imagine being a mother without that aspect : .

marisa724 02-21-2005 12:33 AM

I have a friend who's pro-BFing (her aunt was in LLL back in the day) but now I'm planting the seeds that EBF (past a year) is ok too... She's not even PG yet but hopes to be soon. At Joey's 1st birthday we were talking about how he's still nursing, how it's still so good for him. I mentioned hearing that if you can manage to nurse for 7 years out of your life, your risk for breast cancer is practically nil. So I told her I always thought I'd have three children, and if I can nurse each of them for over two years, I'll be all set!

She seemed very interested, as did her hubby (whose poor mom just died of cancer not too long ago). That alone may have convinced her to be a EBFer one day!

brookerenee 02-22-2005 01:11 PM

I was at a party on Valentine's Day. There were lots of pre-teen girls there. Everyone (the kids and adults) was playing a "getting to know you" game, and the question posed to me was "What is the one most important piece of parenting advice you have for people who don't have children yet?"

My reply: "Breastfeed, because it's free and good for both mom and baby."

One of the young girls said "My mom breastfeeds my sister, too!"

I hope they remember my advice 10 years from now!