Consumer Reports Baby Info - Letter Critique - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like to look at ConsumerReports.Org and found this article http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1111074969444. I was upset with the "needed" items for infant feeding and have this letter prepared to mail off to them. It's a bit long, I appologize, but if you have any thoughts I'd be glad to hear it.

Dear Consumer Reports,

I was looking through your baby product information online and was a bit surprised by the feeding information in the article. I admit, I believe very strongly in breastfeeding and dislike information that doesn’t support mothers. Unfortunately, I don’t see that the information presented in this article helps breastfeeding.

This is an excerpt from the article I read on your site.

New baby basics
A master list for new moms and dads

Feeding time
If you're planning to breast-feed:
_____Two or three nursing bras.
_____A box of washable or disposable breast pads.
_____Breast pump if you expect to use one.
_____Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples for expressed breast milk.
_____Bottle drying tree.
_____Bottle brush.
_____Insulated bottle holder for diaper bag (the hospital may give you one).
_____Three packs of cloth diapers or burp cloths.

If you're planning to bottle-feed
_____Six 4- to 5-ounce bottles, plus nipples, rings, and a dishwasher basket if you use a dishwasher.

Glancing at the structure of the information presented, it sure looks like breastfeeding takes a lot more equipment than bottle feeding. When I looked at the items, I realized that the assumption is made that even breastfed babies need bottles. From my experience, neither of these statements are true. Breastfeeding is much simpler than using artificial milk and I never gave my son a bottle in his life and he has grown up big and healthy. I realize that some moms don’t have the leisure or desire to stay home and therefore need to pump their milk for their babies, but I think the organization of the list can be rearranged to show this. I was also confused about the bottle washing materials. It seems that for artificially fed babies you recommend washing bottles in the dishwasher; but for babies fed with mom’s expressed milk, moms have to have a drying tree and brush to wash the bottles by hand making it seem that breastfeeding is more complicated even in the washing. This information feels biased towards using artificial milk. I feel it would be more truthful to categorize the items in a different way and offer more truthful information about the whole scope of infant feeding. Perhaps…

Feeding time
_____Three packs of cloth diapers or burp cloths.

If you're planning to breastfeed:
_____Two or three nursing bras.
_____Nursing clothes if you like, although button up or other loose shirts work just as well (non-nursing dresses are not recommended, but skirts and blouses make nursing easy).
_____Lanolin (Medela or Lansonoh) if you experience sore nipples.
_____A box of washable or disposable breast pads if you experience leaking or use lanolin.
_____Support. This can be found from books, a Lactation Consultant, or La Leche League.
_____A nursing pillow.
_____Breast shells only if mother has inverted nipples
_____Water bottle because moms often get extremely thirsty when the baby latches on.
_____Healthy diet, although this should be a lifetime goal or at least a continuation of pregnancy goals.
_____Breast pump if you expect to use one. You will also need bottle supplies listed below.

If you're planning to use bottles:
_____Six 4- to 5-ounce bottles, plus nipples, rings, and liners.
_____Dishwasher basket if you use a dishwasher.
_____Dish soap.
_____Bottle drying tree.
_____Bottle brush.
_____Insulated bottle holder for diaper bag (the hospital may give you one with their advertisement from artificial breastmilk companies which is unethical and against WHO guidelines).
_____Bottle warmer.

If you’re planning to use other feeding tools:
_____Supplemental Nursing System, allows mom to feed expressed or artificial milk while the baby nurses at the breast.
_____Foley Cup Feeder, helpful with babies who have trouble sucking or mothers who don’t want their babies to use bottles to avoid nipple confusion.
_____Hazelbaker Figngerfeeder, same uses and benefits as the Foley Cup above.

If you’re planning to use artificial human milk:
_____Artificial breastmilk.
_____More doctor’s appointments for your baby because artificially fed babies get sicker easier and longer than their breastfed counterparts.
_____More clothes as artificial breastmilk stains easier and smells worse whether it’s fresh, burped up, or leaked from diapers.
_____More developmental toys as artificially fed babies have lower IQ’s that breastfed babies.
_____Caution introducing solid foods as artificially fed babies have more allergies than breastfed babies.
_____More mammograms because women who don’t breastfeed are more likely to develop breast cancer.
_____Birth control as artificially feeding moms can’t take advantage of natural methods. Exclusively breastfeeding, lack of menses, and baby being under six moths old is 98% effective birth control.
_____Menstruation products because artificially feeding moms will resume menstruation in a few months; however, nursing moms typically get about 14 months without a cycle. This may also help nursing mothers lessen their risks for ovarian and cervical cancers.
_____Naps, preparing artificial milk in the middle of the night is much more exhausting than bringing the baby to breast because the parent has to wake up completely rather than being able to stay in a less alert state.
_____Diet plan; breastfeeding moms nurse off the extra pounds gained during pregnancy, artificially feeding moms may need some help losing weight.
_____Courage to make a change. Health care providers who failed to offer true information on the differences between breast and artificial feeding have failed. They did not provide informed consent; they did not give information in the best interest of the mother’s health, baby’s health, or family’s well being. They do not have the instruction necessary for their jobs and need to be reprimanded and educated.

I realize that you probably won’t publish my statements exactly, but I would really like for you to consider the deeper issue at hand. It seems the article is about a year old and a new one may be forthcoming. I know Consumer Reports has issued information about hospitals and infections, I know that you are a catalyst for change, and I know that you want the best for your readers. I do feel that actively supporting breastfeeding falls into your philosophy.

Thank you for your time,
Melissa Evans
Magazine and Website subscriber

eta: information on other feeding tools, I will include a copy of "Watch Your Language", and removed my address and phone (oops!)
#2 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:17 PM

Ok I am am stumped. What is artificial Human Milk???
#3 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemom
Ok I am am stumped. What is artificial Human Milk???
It's the correct name for formula. That's actually what researchers call the stuff. Also called ABM, artificial baby milk.
#4 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:21 PM

I've never heard that before.
#5 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:21 PM

Formula. It is usually called AIM or artificial infant milk. To me artificial human milk suggests taht there are components of human milk in it. THere obviously is not.
#6 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Go for it. I think you're more likely to get a response from them then from one of the networks we've all written to for their terrible misinformation.

Let us know what happens.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#7 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 07:07 PM

I think it's spelled Lansinoh. And I wouldn't mention the SNS without mentioning the Lact-Aid. While an SNS is more prevalent since most LC's distribute Medela, user reviews heavily favor the Lact-Aid.
#8 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 PM

I would just say artificial infant milk instead of human milk, and on the last line for items needed by nursing moms that says, "You will also need bottle supplies listed below." I'd maybe change that to read, "pumping moms will also need bottle supplies listed below" so that it isn't interpreted in a general sense that all nursing moms need the bottle supplies.

Good for you, they did need correction on this.
#9 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 PM

I would also argue the relative costs of formula vs. breastmilk, given Consumer Reports' focus on getting the best deal. :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom
I would just say artificial infant milk instead of human milk, and on the last line for items needed by nursing moms that says, "You will also need bottle supplies listed below." I'd maybe change that to read, "pumping moms will also need bottle supplies listed below" so that it isn't interpreted in a general sense that all nursing moms need the bottle supplies.

Good for you, they did need correction on this.
#10 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 11:35 PM

Artificial human milk doesn't sound right at all. How could human milk be artificial. Artificial infant formula is telling you its artificial in comparison to what it is mimicking or trying to mimmicick.... Human milk
#11 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input, I'll make the changes and get it off soon. =)
#12 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemom
Artificial human milk doesn't sound right at all. How could human milk be artificial. Artificial infant formula is telling you its artificial in comparison to what it is mimicking or trying to mimmicick.... Human milk
Well, think about some other phrases. Artificial Christmas Tree, for example. It is a Christmas tree, but yet it's not; it's artificial. Do you think we should call them Artificial Holiday Decorations?
#13 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget
Formula. It is usually called AIM or artificial infant milk. To me artificial human milk suggests taht there are components of human milk in it. THere obviously is not.
Artificial is another word for fake. so Artificial Human Milk could also be called Fake Human Milk. But it would be strange to call it Artifically Baby Milk, since most babies don't make milk.

There is Cow's Milk
Goat's Milk
Human Milk
Artificial Baby Milk? see, what I mean?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#14 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 02:58 AM

My main prob is that the term makes it sound like it is almost like bm, which is way off. We are all smart and well informed bf advocates here but some who are not could take the term to heart.
#15 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 02:59 AM

How about artificial infant nutritional suppplement?
#16 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 AM

i see where you're coming from, but have you considered how many mothers in this country are working mothers? working mothers can still breastfeed..... with the right equipment. and it ISN'T easier to breastfeed when you're out of the home full-time. (i feel like i spend half my waking hours pumping...)

to imply that no mothers need or should use bottles, etc, is really... exclusionary. don't you think?

not very many women can afford to stay home full time with their babies.
#17 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget
How about artificial infant nutritional suppplement?
It's not usually a supplement.
#18 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 PM

How about CRAP (controversial and really awful product).

No offense intended to those mamas who don't use it by choice.
#19 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 PM

Artificial Infant Nutrition.
#20 of 24 Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn
How about CRAP (controversial and really awful product).
:LOL
#21 of 24 Old 03-19-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
i see where you're coming from, but have you considered how many mothers in this country are working mothers? working mothers can still breastfeed..... with the right equipment. and it ISN'T easier to breastfeed when you're out of the home full-time. (i feel like i spend half my waking hours pumping...)

to imply that no mothers need or should use bottles, etc, is really... exclusionary. don't you think?

not very many women can afford to stay home full time with their babies.
To be honest, I think every mom is a working mom even if she doesn't bring in a paycheck. =) I tried to address WOHM's in my commentary and my reasoning for regrouping things. I don't think implying that every breastfeeding mom must use bottles is helpful.

"Glancing at the structure of the information presented, it sure looks like breastfeeding takes a lot more equipment than bottle feeding. When I looked at the items, I realized that the assumption is made that even breastfed babies need bottles. From my experience, neither of these statements are true. Breastfeeding is much simpler than using artificial milk and I never gave my son a bottle in his life and he has grown up big and healthy. I realize that some moms don’t have the leisure or desire to stay home and therefore need to pump their milk for their babies, but I think the organization of the list can be rearranged to show this."

Not all breastefeeded babies get bottles, not all bottle fed babies get artificial infant nutrition; that's why I wanted to seperate bottles from "C.R.A.P.".

Do you have suggestions for more appropriate repwording?
#22 of 24 Old 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaEvans
Do you have suggestions for more appropriate repwording?
no; the only problem i saw w/ the orignal list was that the ain stuff wasn't separate like the bf stuff.

- nak
#23 of 24 Old 03-30-2005, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update, I just got a response via email.

"Dear Melissa Evans:

Thanks for taking the time to contact Consumer Reports(r). It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers!

We appreciate your writing to us regarding information about breast feeding. Please be assured that I've forwarded your correspondence to the appropriate staff members for their review and consideration for our future reports on Breast feeding. From correspondence, like yours, we get wonderful story suggestions, valuable input into the work we are doing, and background material for future reports.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. Your interest in our work is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Peter D. Harzewski
Customer Relations Representative
736107"

So it's getting forwarded, but it looks like it was actually read. =) We'll see.
#24 of 24 Old 03-30-2005, 01:54 PM

The truth will be in future breastfeeding articles... but thats great you got a response from them!!!!! At least you DO know someone read it!
Very well done, and on behalf of other breastfeeding mothers I say
THANK YOU!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page