Formula feeding and early solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been noticing lately on my birth boards that the ff'ing moms seem to think their babies are still hungry after taking their bottles and have been introducing solids very early because of it. None of the bf'ing mothers seem to be doing this. The ff'ing moms know the 4-6 month recommendation, but they say, "but my baby is still hungry! How can I starve her? I have to give her SOMETHING!" They seem to be starting cereal at about 1-2 months and other baby food by 3 months or so.

I asked my mom if she noticed any difference between her kids (first was ff, dc#2 bf until 4 months, dc#3 breastfed until 7 months, but with a low supply, and the youngest two bf until 2-2.5 years). She said she felt she needed to give her ff baby solids very early, the next two solids at a few months old, and the youngest two (one of which was me ) she didn't give solids to until about 5 months. I seem to be seeing a pattern here.

I ebf my DS (two months) and I do not feel like he is still hungry after nursing. He is about 14 or 15 lbs and I do not feel like him being so big has anything to do with how hungry he is. I do not feel drained from nursing a big baby (although I do eat A LOT to keep up with him :LOL ).

I told my sister that I planned on waiting till DS was 6 months to introduce solids and she said, "Well, good luck with THAT!" : She seems to think babies NEED solids before then and it's difficult to manage them being soooo hungry all the time. Her kids were both on formula by 3.5 months, which is about when she started solids. If DS keeps growing at this rate, he could very well be 20 lbs by 6 months, but he would still be satisfied on my milk alone. I was a very large baby and I was satisfied on my mother's milk alone.

Does anyone else see this connection or is it just me? It makes me wonder if ff babies are really that lacking in nutrition that they would seem hungry all the time. It makes me doubt formula even more than I already do.
#2 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 AM

NOpe, it's not just you.

Part of it seems to be the expense of formula. I know on a board I"m on recently, some moms posted about giving their babes cereal because they were going through so much formula that they felt they couldn't afford it.
#3 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 AM

I agree that this is a common thing. I would guess it is because you can only give a baby so much formula without overfeeding and it is always the same consistency whereas a breastfed baby can be nursed whenever they request as you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. Also mama's milk changes as the baby grows and the milk a woman produces for an older baby has more of what they need at different ages which keeps them satisfied longer.
#4 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:13 AM

yeah, and I guess you get more into a routine/schedule with bottles, so you're less likely to feed absolutely on demand. With a bf baby if she still seems hungry after nursing you just nurse some more, the boobies are never empty

nothing more to say I guess :
#5 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 AM

Funny. Alot of people who ff see it as a good way to see how much baby is getting because they fear baby not getting enough, but when growth spurts come they start worrying that baby is taking too much and take it as a sign baby needs something more. So, it seems to me they are worried about intake anyway. Where a bf mother might try to boost her supply for baby it seems ff'ers(in general, not all) are starting solids.

And the expense issue always comes into play.
#6 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 AM

NOpe, it's not just you.

Part of it seems to be the expense of formula. I know on a board I"m on recently, some moms posted about giving their babes cereal because they were going through so much formula that they felt they couldn't afford it.
#7 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM

That is so sad for those babies. Why not just mix another (small) bottle, and not put them at more risk for allergies/diabetes?
#8 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTT
That is so sad for those babies. Why not just mix another (small) bottle, and not put them at more risk for allergies/diabetes?
I think a lot of it comes down to education and maybe people are not as informed as they could be. I think that if you are easily swayed by others the suggestion from grandma to give cereal because "I did it and you were just fine" may convince you that you need to give your child more than he/she is getting. I know my friends who are ff'ers all seemed to be convinced that their child was still hungry and hated to think that they might be not getting enough. Also there is still that myth that cereal helps babies sleep better
#9 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam
The ff'ing moms know the 4-6 month recommendation
Every health organization I know of recommends waiting 6 months...(anyone telling you "4 to 6 months" is using out of date information as far as I know.)
Several are here:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pre...-benefits.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#10 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 09:54 AM

I nursed Seth until 4 months and he didn't start solids until he was nine months. Madi got expressed breastmilk in a bottle until for months and didn't start solids until closer to ten months. Zachary nursed for 2.5 years and started solids when he was about one year. Nicholas was given expressed breastmilk for about one month and was eating solids at around nine months. I formula fed Seth, Madi, and Nicholas after they were no longer on breastmilk. I agree though maybe it has something to do with the expense of the formula. My crew did not have any interest in solids at six months let alone earlier.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#11 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM

I have noticed the same thing. I wonder if they think thier baby needs to eat more but they are really just needing to suck...for instance we will put our baby on our breast and they won't necessarily be sucking enough to drink but just want to pacify on us for a bit but with a bottle you can't do that because liquid just comes out.

I also think that part of the early solids is the cost of formula.

I used to go out with a friend who FF and she would bring lots of solids for her baby and I would never bring anything when we went out because I had built ins. Well when she would need to stop and feed her baby Riley would watch just because she was interested not really because she wanted any and I think my friend thought I didn't feed her enough.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-24-2005, 04:56 PM

I don't think there is anything inherent in the makeup of formula that requires a baby to need to eat more. I think the early solids thing is probably related to cultural tradition, misinformation, lack of feeding on demand, and non-recognition of the need to suck vs. the need to eat.

My ds was, unfortunately and against my desires, ff, and he was not a big eater. He was fed on demand and rarely ate more than 3-4 oz per feeding, if that much. He didn't really start eating solids until past 7 months. (We tried a little rice cereal at almost 6 months, but he wasn't interested.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page