did your mama nurse you? - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: did your mama nurse you?
no. i never got the booby. 666 33.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 1 day-3 months 386 19.26%
yes. i got the mama milky for 4-6 months 222 11.08%
yes. i got the mama milky for 7-9 months 185 9.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 10-12 months 211 10.53%
YES. i was a lucky lucky baby. i got the mama milky for more than 1 year. 334 16.67%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to brag on my Mom:

She nursed my brother (1970) for close to 3 years. My dad was the first father in the delivery room EVER at that hospital, and my mom had a lamaze birth, no drugs. She didn't know how to nurse and none of the nurses did either but she had read the Womanly Art and my brother went without bottle, sugar water or pacifier for 3 days! Thank goodness my mom is a beeee--atch or she would've been forced to give him a bottle (and imagine staying in the hospital 3 days for a natural delivery in this day and age, anyways!) Finally a new nurse came on shift who had breastfed and got them started--whew!

She nursed me (1978) for 3+ years after another natural birth. Go mom!

The only thing she doesn't "get" is tandem. My brother and I are obviously far apart, and I have an 18 mo and am 28 weeks pregnant and she definitely has no concept of my nursing aversions and physical discomfort She's all like, it's no big deal, just nurse 'em both! And I'm like, yeah, this sucks (for now, I fully intend to tandem, it's just hard sometimes. . .)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 PM

I was born in 1979. I was her first and I nursed for 8 weeks. Her nipples were cracked and bleeding and my spit-up had blood in it so the doctor told her to stop. She quit cold turkey and still talks about how awful it was.

My brother was born in 1982. She nursed him till 6 months and cried when they told her she "had to" wean him then. I feel for her because she really didn't know nursing beyond 6 months was an option.

She's very supportive of my extending nursing. I think if she had had any exposure to someone nursing past 6 months, she probably would have gone longer. She still talks about how she cried when she had to wean him. I can't even imagine.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 PM

My brother and I were nursed until we walked, a little over 1 yr. She went back to work--on Wall Street in 1978--when I was 6 mos old. She managed to keep nursing w/o benefit of a pump. With my brother (1983), I don't recall watching her nurse him; I must have been a busy kindergartner. I do remember one time when she hand-expressed into a bottle that I then got to feed him with.

In 1976, Dh was on formula and solids at about 6 weeks! It was the dr's advice b/c he was huge (now he's 6'7"). But younger bil nursed for 8 mos in 1979.

Mom to 5-yr-old DS and 18-mo-old DD
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 AM

My mom practiced ecological breastfeeding - though I don't know that it was called that then, and it was much to the chagrin of her own mother. I weaned naturally after 3. I was born in 1979.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 AM

i was born in '86, my mother breastfed me for a month or so (my father says, i have no contact with her) until she claimed that she had mastitis and needed to wean me. while it stinks that i didn't get it for longer, i'm glad i at least got some. ds1, otoh, nursed for 3.5 years.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Nope, not at all. My brother is a year older than I am (I was born in 1977), and my mom thought she was going to do a great job and nurse him. When he was a month or so old, she brought him to the doctor who pronounced he was failing to thrive, and the doctor yelled at my mom for starving her baby. After that, my brother was on formula. I was on formula from the start, bottles from both my mom and my dad. Maybe that's why I've always been so close to my dad as well as my mom. Happy nurturing from both parents for me.

My own kids, for the record, drank breastmilk. DD nursed for a few months and then decided she preferred bottles (of breastmilk); DS always preferred straight from the tap.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

WOW! i just came back and realized that i started this thread in december of 2001 when my dd was just barely 1, and now she's 8!

is this the longest continual running thread or what? nearly 7 years! cool
Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM

My father said my mother 'tried' to nurse me, but gave up so she could drink.

I probably got about a week's worth. My brother got none.

My son is 2.5 and still going strong. I'd like him to wean by 3, but am open to nursing for another year. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM

Yes. I nursed til I was 5! So did a lot of my friends. So I think it's completely natural, even if dp does think I'm a freak.

Me--1981 (5 yrs)

My lil sis nursed 3 yrs, my lil bro 5. My sister and I tandem nursed.

My son is 28m and still nursing with another lo on the way!

My mother is a LLL leader.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM

I was born in 78, my sister in 81 and my brother in 83. None of use got breastfed because, as my dad stated, "There was no need" :

My DD is almost 16 months and still loves the nursies!!!!

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM

my mom nursed all 3 of us for about 3 months (1974, 1977 and 1981 were the years we were born...ok I'm the oldest )

and talking with her now she feels if she had some more support she would have probably nursed us all longer- she was never nursed (she were fed condensed milk & corn syrup!!!!) and said it was her MIL (1st generation italian) who was a the biggest help as my grandmother had nursed all 5 of her babies....

as for me, I am still nursing my babe, 15 months strong! yeah! :

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM

My mother had a natural childbirth in 1967 with my father forcing his way into the delivery room.

She did not nurse me or my brother (born 8 years later) because my father begged her not to.

She is now a breast cancer survivor who has emphysema due to too much radiation (not helped by the history of smoking either but the majority of the damage is where the radiation was done).

One of these days I mean to ask my dad about this. He's been supportive of my nursing both my children (as if he'd have a choice- LOL).
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM

My mom nursed me for 3 weeks then returned to work full time and weaned me (1982) (she didn't realize you could nurse part time until I had Grace! She also had no clue that when she quit two weeks later she could have gone back to nursing me). She nursed my brother (1986) until he was 4 months old and started teething.

My MIL did not nurse my husband at all (1980), nursed his younger brother (1984) for 4 months until he "intentionally bit her"
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Born in 1976.

I was a preemie and spent 8 weeks in the NICU. When I was finally able to go home my Mom relactated (I was not breastfed in the hospital) and nursed me until her milk supply gave out 4 months later. Given the situation I was lucky to get any breastmilk at all.

Both of my boys have had 9 months of breastmilk. All the women in my family have legitimate supply issues, I'd love to nurse my children for 2 years but it hasn't been possible for me. Maybe this time I'll have better luck.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Born in 1979

I believe i heard that I was breastfed (i've never confirmed that with my mother), but I dunno how LONG i was breastfed.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm the oldest of 5 and none of us were nursed. I was born in 1972 and my youngest brother was born in 1989. I believe that I am the only person in my family to nurse. Though, my ex's mother did nurse all of her kids and he was born in 1959. I think my brother's girlfriend is going to but I'm not sure. She was kind of talking about it but I don't get a really strong feeling from her that she will.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM

Born in 1974 and nursed for over 2 years. Hard work at the beginning as I have a cleft lip but my mom managed it.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 PM

I was bf'd till around 10 months, and was cloth diapered as well, in 1972.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:40 PM

My sister(82) and I(73) were not breastfeed, she didn't even try. Because she has really large boobs and the doc said it would be dificult. :

But we were cloth diapered.

My DD has the same reaction to dosposables as my sister had. Mom was the one who picked up on it.

My ds 1 was pumped for 6 mos

My ds 2 was pumped and Breastfeed.

My dd ebf till 12 mos. then given pumped when I went to work.

Still nursing at 27 mos!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM

my mom says she pumped for me while i was in hospital and then nursed me when i got home from hospital. I was born premature so i am sure it helped me emminesly

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 AM

myself and my dh were both completely formula fed.. never a drop of formula for either of us, because our moms "didnt feel like it" (their words)..

Our son, on the other hand, has never had a drop of formula and is 6 months old. He's the first baby I've met that has been EBF.. sad, huh?

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM

I was born in 1978 and was breastfed for 2 years. She would have continued but she was pregnant and developing lupus so she quit at her doctor's recommendation. My brother was born in 1981 and breastfed for 3.5 years. Mom was a La Leche League Leader until I was 18 or so.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 PM

I was born in 1984 and was bf for three months. My mom said I went on a nursing strike when she got sick and she didn't know what to do so she switched to formula. DH was FF from day one and he was the sickest kid ever. That's part of the reason he's so big on me BFing DD.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM

I can't tell if I posted here before but my mom breastfed me for 3.5 years.

1.5 years of that was tandem nursing with my lil brother who is 2 years younger than me.

I was born in 1979 FWIW.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM

I was born 1975 - mother never breastfed because her doctor discouraged it. Said formula was much better -- now she regrets that and wishes she would have breastfed me.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 PM

I was breastfed for a year. Solids introduced at 4 months which my mum says she would do differently if she had her time again! She's very keen on me doing BLW with my little one.

Everyone in my maternal family has always breastfed.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 PM

My mom nursed me for 14 months. I was born in 1977.

My younger brother, born in 1981, was nursing for about 16 months.

I strongly attribute my desire to breastfeeding and knowledge of it's benefits and normalcy to my mother.

In fact, if it wasn't for her helping me in the beginning, I may have given up!

She was the first woman in like 3 generations to breastfeed in our family. And the ONLY one of her generation to do it. I have several cousins with children and I'm the only one to breastfeed past 6 months. Some haven't even tried it at all.

I'm hoping my DD will take after me. She's 16.5 and showing no sign of slowing down on her nursing.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM

My mom died when I was 20 and I never got to ask her about nursing My Dad, bless his heart, was sure she nursed us some, but wasn't sure how long etc. A few months ago, after I gave birth to my first born and our second daughter, my Dad and stepmom presented me with a book of my baby pictures. There is one of me, not more than a few months old, being nursed! It makes me so totally happy!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 AM

My mother never breastfed any of us (me or my two brothers). Dad said that it was because it hurt her too bad. I remember Dad telling me when I had DD that I was lucky because it didn't hurt me like it did mom. Little did he know at the time I was dealing with chapped, bleeding nipples and pain so bad I cried at every feeding. I know Dad didn't/doesn't support breastfeeding so Ive wondered how much of it was Mom and how much was him

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM

I was born in 1985, and my mom said the doctors recommended FF, but she BF'ed me for a year anyway!! : (partly bc we were poor and couldn't afford formula, and she was FF'ed and was very sick the first few months of her life with allergies to dairy and soy) I am so proud of her for going against doc's advice and doing what she knew was right!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

User Tag List