did your mama nurse you? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: did your mama nurse you?
no. i never got the booby. 666 33.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 1 day-3 months 386 19.26%
yes. i got the mama milky for 4-6 months 222 11.08%
yes. i got the mama milky for 7-9 months 185 9.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 10-12 months 211 10.53%
YES. i was a lucky lucky baby. i got the mama milky for more than 1 year. 334 16.67%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 750 Old 04-26-2002, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 years. I was the "baby", so mom didn't "have to" wean during pregnancy (as she did, with most of my older siblings). She was 45 years old when I weaned!!
#122 of 750 Old 04-29-2002, 12:04 AM

I was born 1978 and I nursed until I was 4-ish, and my first 2 years of nursing I shared mom with my brother. He was born in 1976 and nursed until he was 4-ish as well. We both weaned ourselves. We also coslept until we were big enough to wrestle over who got to sleep in the middle. My mom and dad were model attachment parenters, although mom says she didn't know of the actually philosophy of AP, but it was just what felt right to her. What a great mom and dad I have. So does AP work? I like to think we turned out well!! Although my bro and I have put my folks through the typical teenage hell, as well as other mental strains and anguish, my mom always says that she knows they did a good job and raised us right; and that she knows this when she sees how loving and nurturing my bro and I are with our own kids. (how was that for a run-on sentence!) Wow, now that I have written all that down and reread it, I want to call my mommy and say thanks for being so fabulous!
#123 of 750 Old 04-29-2002, 05:19 PM

I was breastfed until I was 6 months old. My mom got TSS and was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I was put on formula for about a month and then switched to cow's milk. I was born in 1980 and my mom is just shocked that I won't be starting my son on cow's milk for quite some time. They used to tell parents that babies could be put on cows milk at 7 months and my mom would have done anything to keep me off formula.
#124 of 750 Old 04-29-2002, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jojo
I want to call my mommy and say thanks for being so fabulous!

Did you? You totally should!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#125 of 750 Old 05-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Banned

I was born in 1982
I was never breastfed and neither were any of my 3 sisters.
#126 of 750 Old 05-07-2002, 11:38 PM

No.

Youngest of 4, born in 1960. Mom was told she "couldn't breastfeed" with the others, and she doesn't remember specifically trying with me but has said that I never seemed to know what to do. So maybe she did try but she had no support, and was one who listened to the doctors who advised a strict feeding schedule.

She also dieted strictly while pregnant with me, because she was in her late 30's and was afraid she wouldn't be able to lose weight if she gained like she did with my sister.

But she ate chocolate every day.

My poor little brain! And no wonder I'm always hungry, can't gain weight, and crave chocolate. Add breastfeeding, I'm ravenous all the time.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rocketmom

LOL What's wrong with chocolate milk? Yummy stuff if you ask me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Dd gets chocolate milk.

Edited to add: was sleepy last night but did not state important fact that my mother and I have always been extremely close. I guess she found other ways to bond. I think we shopped a lot from an early age.
#127 of 750 Old 05-09-2002, 07:37 PM

Yes, I was breastfed and all four of my brothers were breastfed. There is about 2 years bewteen each if us. Mom said she would breastfeed the one till she got preggo again.

tm2
#128 of 750 Old 05-09-2002, 08:45 PM

What a great thread! I actually read through it last night and had to come back and reply because it really got me thinking again about what a brave and awesome mama my brother and I have! I was born in 1974 and she breastfed me for two full years. My brother was born in 1978 and he also had 2 years of nursing! Horray for my mom and her trailblazing ways! When she had me in '74, she and my dad lived in southern New Jersey and had to travel about 2 hrs. to Atlantic City in order to be "allowed" to have unrestrained and drug free childbirth! She wound up having to do the same 4 yrs later! My mother's dedication to breastfeeding us is something she still speaks of with great pride. My mom's always been pretty conventional in other ways so it's really cool to see her get a twinkle in her eye talking about how she knew better than to follow the norm of the time. She and my father have been divorced now for over 20 yrs but they both still get the same proud and nostalgic tone in their voices when retelling the story of how they had to sign me out of the hosp. against medical advice- just so that mom could breastfeed! (I was jaundiced.) They even saved the AMA form for my baby book! Now that I have my daughter (and a wonderful bf relationship w/her) I am soooooooo grateful to Mom that I grew up w/ bfing as the norm. I don't really remember "hot juice" (Mom was really into sunbathing) but we were always around other bfing mamas, LLL friends, etc and I remember little brother nursing. I have distinct memories of lifting up my shirt to feed my dolls as a young girl. Such a contrast from my partner's family experiences! I am literally the first nursing mother he has ever known! And he grew up in a huge family, lots of babies around all the time. He just thought of bottles as the way babies were fed and recently confessed to me that before my pregnancy, he had never even given it a second thought. This totally amazed me, especially considering just how amazingly supportive he's been w/ breastfeeding and how anti-formula company he's gotten. His wildly contrasting experience really brought home for me just how blessed I was to have had such a great mom who took such risks, went to such great lengths and defied stupid, harmful conventions to give me my birthright. Thank you Mom! (I'll see her tomorrow and give her an extra big hug!)
#129 of 750 Old 05-12-2002, 11:10 PM

My mom is a great breastfeeding advocate. I know my grandmother didn't BF any of her kids, so GO MOM!! She tells a funny story about after my brother was born ('67), the pediatrician tells her how much better formula is and not to breastfeed. She said she just smiles and nods ("no sense in discussing it with him") then goes home and does exactly as she pleases. All of us (4 kids) were BF until self weaned. Thanks mom for that gift and for a great example.
#130 of 750 Old 05-14-2002, 08:05 PM

I was born in Seattle WA '68. My Mom nursed me a little over a month and then [she says] she weaned me in favor of my Dad. [Resentment? Hmmm... I'd say yes.] My sister, born 2 years later, was never breast fed.
#131 of 750 Old 05-15-2002, 04:15 PM

I was born in 1979. My mother breastfed me for 11 months, but she supplemented occasionally. Also, the doctor wouldn't let her nurse more than every three hours, and I suspect that interfered with her supply.

My maternal grandmother nursed all 5 of her kids, born between 1940 and 1955, even though by the time the last one was born the doctors and nurses were standing by with formula "just in case she doesn't like the breastmilk."

My sweetie was born in 1971 and his mother nursed him for 3 1/2 years.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#132 of 750 Old 05-25-2002, 12:26 PM

I was born in 1969 and my mom went to LLL meetings and her doctor was Gregory White (advocate of homebirth and husband of Mary White, a LLL founder). My mom did everything she could to nurse, but only nursed a short time with each of us. My mom had PPD, a 1 year old and has bipolar illness that requires meds.

Today my mom is one of my biggest supporters. She believes that kids should til they lose their "milk teeth". I love my mom!

Kathleen
#133 of 750 Old 05-25-2002, 01:39 PM

I was born in 1970 in England, my Mum desperately wanted to bf but only made it for a couple of days, she had thrush, a traumatic situation (she was a single Mum and a guy turned up just after my birth wanting to marry her and not giving her any peace!!!!!) and no support from the people in the hospital. She is so sorry she didn't keep it up now, and I feel a lack of physical connection with her which i am aware of sometimes when i sleep with and bf my own daughter.......
#134 of 750 Old 05-27-2002, 10:41 AM

I was born in 1976 and didn't get a drop of breast milk...don't know if my mother was nursed. My DH born in 1974 wasn't nursed at all either...in fact, DH's grandmother who is 86 yrs. old now never nursed any of her 4 kids. I figure this is why we have lactation consultants.
#135 of 750 Old 06-08-2002, 10:19 PM

I was born in an Army hospital in 1972. The doc told my mom that her breast milk wasn't good enough for me! Whaaaa? So now when she sees me nursing Levi, she gets all teary eyed, it's so sad.

Thank god for breasts!

A friend-of-a-friend has decided not to nurse her second child, because she feels it's too much work. I don't understand that, just lift your shirt and go.
Sarah
#136 of 750 Old 06-08-2002, 10:51 PM

My mom nursed me for six months and then weaned me against her will. My dad was a big jerk and was embarrased by my mom and pressured her to wean me. My brother (1980) nursed only a couple months, again due to my dad and a stressful environment. My sister (1992) nursed 19 months, she has a different father thank goodness! My mom is very supportive of me nursing my children and so is dh.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#137 of 750 Old 06-12-2002, 07:45 PM

I breastfed until about 16 months, then weaned 'cause my mom's milk dried up during her pregnancy with my brother, who breastfed until about 14 months and weaned because my mom was pregnant with my sister, who breastfed until she was about four. Six years later, my other brother breastfed until he was about four. Us oldest two were born at home, and the younger two were c-sections, so the homebirth babies got less milk and the c-section babies got to nurse longer. This was all in 1972, 1974, 1975, and 1985. I just realized that my mom breastfed on and off for grand total of about 11 years during a span of 18 years, from when she was 28 until she was 46!

Edited to add: three cheers for my dad, who totally supported breastfeeding, and always believed that it was the responsibility of the adults to make room for the babies in bed and in life...
#138 of 750 Old 06-12-2002, 08:00 PM

I was not nursed-1971 and my mom was a nurse! She did nurse my 2 brothers 1980,1982. I remember her and her friends all nursing their babies and just knew I would nurse when I had a baby!
#139 of 750 Old 06-13-2002, 01:04 AM

I nursed until age 4, my mom was not so much an advocate but more of a total softie, spoiled me rotten and couldn't stand to deny me anything. She and I both suspect it saved her life, too, because she is a breast cancer survivor (over 10 years now) despite the fact that she was not told for a YEAR after her mammogram first showed a lump (doctor left the practice).

Nancy
nursing Emily (32 months) and due in July with #2
#140 of 750 Old 06-15-2002, 06:19 PM

born in '77
nursed 'till "at least 4" acording to my mum
#141 of 750 Old 06-15-2002, 11:21 PM

I was bf till I self-weaned at 7.5 mos. My mother bf'ed all 6 of her children! My brother bf until almost 3 yo! The others (aside from me!) weaned shortly after a year. We co-slept while we were babies & toddlers.
#142 of 750 Old 06-16-2002, 11:59 AM

I was only nursed for about 6 weeks. My mom says she did it because everyone was telling her to but that she never really wanted to. She wasn't comfortable with the idea, and she wanted to be able to see how much I was eating. (When she put me on solids way before 4 months, she actually gave them in a bottle with a plunger so that she could make me eat more when I didn't want to. I wonder why I always want to eat until I'm stuffed? : )

My sis was born in 1978, and my mom had the dry up shots with her.
#143 of 750 Old 06-17-2002, 09:33 PM

My mom said I nursed for 4-6 months, though she was told by a friend to give me rice cereal in a bottle at 3 months so I'd sleep through the night...apparently it worked for us. I was born in 1969 when my dad was in the Air Force - Chanute AFB in Rantoul,IL. My mom had one or two prenatal visits and a natural birth, as far as she can remember...the hospital & Dr. were conservative the right way.

Dh was exclusively nursed for 3 weeks, then was given applesauce and rice cereal on the advice of the ped!! I found that out when reading dh's baby book. MIL had made a few comments before about "not everyone is able to" and was/is uncomfortable about me breastfeeding in front of her. I found a way to inform her later that that often happens/ed when moms didn't/don't have enough support or are given the wrong advice..."like Dr.'s telling them to start solids too early."

Any time friends or family have misinformation about breastfeeding, I try to work the correct info into later conversation.

Pam
#144 of 750 Old 06-17-2002, 09:55 PM

Nope. None for me. Oh well, it was 1952 and I'm not sure anyone was challenging the formula companies back then.
#145 of 750 Old 06-17-2002, 11:49 PM

My mom did not even think about nursing. Picture it, 1964, in a small, small town in south GA. Absolutely not. "Only poor people breastfed, why would I have done that." My brother was born 4 years late and ate applesauce and cereal at 2 WEEKS!!!! She also put coke in my baby bottle. YIKES> She was only 19, but jeez, come on.

Needless to say she is most distressed with my nursing her 3 1/2 year old grandson. She was supportive but, now says it is just wrong.

I was not APed at all. She says "You all, (I mean y'all) turned out just fine." No intentional slur against southerners

Oh well, I was born to shake them up and I do!! Must of been all of that co-cola I had in my bottle
#146 of 750 Old 06-20-2002, 07:56 AM

Nope, none for me. In '62 the belief was that formula was better than mamma's milk.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#147 of 750 Old 06-24-2002, 10:30 PM

My mom breastfed me for a full year in 1970 despite pressure from family as well as the pediatrician. She breastfed both my brother and sister for two years ('76 and '81). She says that LLL saved her sanity because she found out there were other women like her.

My parents were pretty AP for their time. My dad still says that the only way he could get one kid out of their bed was to have another one. They even kept a small mattress under their bed that I would use when I got older and wanted to sleep in their room (the bed was pretty crowded with my brother and sister). My parents rock!

Jennifer
#148 of 750 Old 06-25-2002, 11:15 PM

Location: South of Music City, East of Graceland, North of The Farm
197_

Born in an AFB Hospital in FL. Never breastfed. Mother was uninformed and uninterested. I am making amends for that with own future bebes.

197_

DH was also never breastfed. MIL thinks she is Parent of the 20th Century because he was "only" on formula until 3 weeks old. Then switched to solids.
#149 of 750 Old 06-26-2002, 01:22 AM

My mom did not nurse my sister (1969), she was a unwed teen mom also.

My brother 1971 she tried to nurse. Did not work she had retain placenta and my brother was so tounge tied he could not lift his tounge off the floor of his mouth!!!!! By the time everything was figured out she did not have much milk if any at all.

Me 1973. Two weeks maybe. Nursing take to much time. She also would of had to be more invovled. It has been almost 29 yrs and she still is self centered.

We got in an arguement last week. I have my priorities messed up (I am a sahm and homeschooling), but anyway. She told me that I needed to think about myself more because when the kids get older they won't have the time and I would be left bored. Woo hoo when my youngest is 20 I will be only 46. Plenty of time to get my own life. Also, if you raise your kids right and let them grow and go at 46 they will show you respect and want you around.
#150 of 750 Old 06-29-2002, 10:45 AM

I was born in '77 and nursed until I selfweaned at age 3 very lucky kiddo I guess (helps that parents were young hippies maybe?)

My dh was born in '69 and he and all 3 brothers were bf for min 9 months (#3 was the earliest weaned when mil got pg w/#4) longest bf was 12 months (#1) AND my mil was a LLL leader in Baton Rouge at the time

So I am blessed with tons of support for bfing!!
In fact the only "flack" I've gotten lately was for trying night-weanig at 18 month -- I was told to wait until 21 months 'cause ds didn't seem ready LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page