did your mama nurse you? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: did your mama nurse you?
no. i never got the booby. 666 33.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 1 day-3 months 386 19.26%
yes. i got the mama milky for 4-6 months 222 11.08%
yes. i got the mama milky for 7-9 months 185 9.23%
yes. i got the mama milky for 10-12 months 211 10.53%
YES. i was a lucky lucky baby. i got the mama milky for more than 1 year. 334 16.67%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i thought this might be an interesting one.

if you were nursed, how long did it last? also, you can share the year you were born, if you want.

my mom nursed me and my brother (me in 1970 and bro in 1967) for about 9 months each.

MIL says she BFed dh and his little bro (1971 and 1973) for about 7 months each ("until they got teeth" she said)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 11:42 AM

i was born in 68 and i am the family trendsetter! out of 12 sibs/steps/spouses/inlaws, none of us were and none of my six nephews were so i'm a real trailblazer
#3 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 01:39 PM

My mom nursed me (born in 1979) for 12 months - probably because the doctor recommended it, she's big on medical advice

She nursed my brother (born in 1981) for maybe 9-10 months? He was a bigger solid food eater, more adventurous in that respect than I had been, so I suppose she figured he didn't want/need the breastmilk as much.

Both of us had formula supplementation, however. And when I had pokey weight gain in the beginning, doc suggested formula supplementation , which my mother complied with.
#4 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 01:53 PM

My mother wanted to nurse me longer, but she lost so much weight that she became anorexic.....sadly the drs back them sucked, and told her to stop.....She nursed me for 6weeks. Then, ten years later, when she had my brother, she nursed him for a year.
#5 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, my whole life I assumed my mother had nursed me for a long time because, well, she's your prototypical earth mother, but it turns out that I was nursed less than 2 months...my older brother wasn't potty trained yet, she says she just didn't feel like she had the physical energy to make enough milk after chasing my brother all over the house...I just got the whole story a few months ago when my daughter was born and I started nursing. Even though I totally understand, it suprised me how it brought up some deep sadness for me, that I'd been weaned so little. It's funny, I've always been kinda compulsive about needing to have my comfort foods on hand: maybe this is why! At any rate, I'm really grateful to be able to nurse with my daughter, and I looovvve my mommy.
#6 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 02:41 PM

Born in 71, nursed 18 months! I was a lucky kid! Apparently more or less child led weaning, same with my bro in 74 (said he stopped because they both got the stomach flu and he didn't eat at all for 3 days, when they got well her milk was gone - she'd had so little left - he wasn't interested anymore. He's now about 300lbs so I guess he got a fairly substantial foundation.)
#7 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 05:58 PM

I was born in '80 to a single mom, who worked full-time. I was also nursed until I was 4 years old! I don't know how my mom did it, but she did, and I am so grateful! I'm surprised that over half of you weren't nursed at all I hope that the statistics go in the other direction for future generations
#8 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 07:46 PM

No boobies for me.

My mom had 4 kids. My sister was the only one she nursed and that lasted 3 weeks, then my mom was admitted to the hospital for hemmoraging and weaned her right away. No one told her she could pump and resume after the few days she was laid up. (This was 1961 so there was really no way she'd be rooming in.)
#9 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 07:54 PM

Nope. Born in 1970 to a smoker, and i was actually put on cow's milk very early because I supposedly had colic and screamed all the time, and changing formulas didn't help. No wonder I'm so screwy now...
#10 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 08:22 PM
pie

No milk for me. further, my mom never knew personally anyone who breastfed until 1980. I was born in '72....
#11 of 750 Old 12-26-2001, 10:51 PM

I was born in 1968 and my mom nursed me for a few months until the dr. told her I wasn't gaining enough and she ought to supplement with formula. She didn't nurse my brother because he was a preemie and they didn't let preemies nurse back then. She did nurse my sister for a few months. BTW, I found out recently that my mom was planning a home birth when she was pregnant with me. Unfortunately, my dad and all her family ganged up on her and talked her out of it. She ended up getting a pitocin induction and I was pulled out with forceps.
#12 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 01:34 AM

I was adopted ~ my parents didn't get me until I was 2 1/2 mo. old. My mom did nurse my older brother and younger sister (they are biological). I ALWAYS knew that I wanted to nurse my baby, because I watched my mom do it. I even remember nursing my baby dolls .

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#13 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 01:39 AM

Mom nursed me until I was 6 weeks old. The Dr. had me on an every 4 hour schedule, and I was hungry more often than that, so they told my mom that she didn't make good enough quality milk and she'd have to switch to formula.

She DID hold me every time she fed me, no bottles propped up.

Her mom nursed her for 2 months, then had a Dr. appointment, where the Dr. told her she'd nursed long enough and gave her a shot to dry up her milk.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#14 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 01:40 AM

I have been wanting to brag about my awesome mom!!

1973, she nursed me (only child) 1 year until the dr told her to stop because I was sick.: She now embarasses me by saying, If I had my way you would still be nursing at 21. Uh, no thanks. She had some sort of carrier, sling type thing and says, I would put you in it with an extra diaper, (cloth) and we'd go anywhere.

Of course, now she swears shes going for a walk if I NIP, "can't you find a ladies lounge somewhere to do it in?" I don't think they have those at goodwill.

jtsmom
#15 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 02:06 AM

My mom says she nursed "against medical advice" because she was lazy. Us kids were born '66,'68,'69 and she says she nursed my middle sister 4 months until she found out she was pregnant with me. I don't know how long I was nursed but probably only a few months. I'm sure we were supplemented, too. When I went to nurse my dd at 11 months while visiting her she was totally shocked I was still at it.
#16 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 03:33 AM

Mom nursed me for 3 days, then put me on evaporated milk, Karo syrup, and water. She says her milk never really came in and formula was just to rich for me (and hard to get where we lived). So, she raised me on what her mom raised her on! This was 1971.
#17 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 03:42 AM

My two other sisters and I were formula fed. (born'65,'66 & '72) Dr told my parents that the formula was 'next best thing to mother's milk'. My dad told me this when ds was born and my parents asked how I was feeding him. I told them I was bf and giving ds 'the best thing'.
#18 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 06:41 AM

I was nursed for four months

Not all those who wander are lost 
#19 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Neither my brother nor I were nursed. That was in 77 and 79.

My sister was born in 88, however, and was nursed for 14 months, when she self weaned.

Talking with my mother, her looking back, she would have changed her method of feeding my brother and I...

Emily

#20 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 03:29 PM

I was a 1971 baby and my mom nursed me for 8 months against the advice of her doctor, friends, and even her mother who had 10 babies. I don't know how my very poor grandmother could have afforded formula for all those babies, what a waste. My sister was only nursed for 4 months in 1975 because my mom became very ill with lupus and felt she wasn't producing nutritious enough milk at that time.
#21 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 05:02 PM

In 1967, my mother did not nurse her first child.

In 1972, she nursed me for 5 months, but has always regretted weaning me at that time.

In 1977, she nursed my sister for 13 months, until my father and grandmother bullied her into stopping.

In 1998, I nursed my first son for 1 year (as recommended by my doctor)

Presently, I am nursing my 20 month old toddler, and am leaning towards self-weaning.
#22 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 06:02 PM

My mom tried to nurse my sister (1963) against the advice of just about everyone including her own mother, but it didn't work. So she didn't even try to nurse my brother (67) or me (70). This spring she was thumbing through Sears' Baby Book and figured out that she'd had inverted nipples.

MIL nurse dh for 3 months, but he was too skinny so they switched to formula. Another victim of lack of support.

I plan to let dd self wean.
#23 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 PM

I, 1981, was nursed for almost 2 years until mom got preg w/my brother. He was nursed for about 18 mo. My older sister, 1979, was nursed for 2 years, against the doctor's rec. and MIL. MIL even called Child Welfare on her to try to get her to stop. My oldest sister, 1974, I'm not sure because she was born in the hospital w/mom all drugged-then the father tried taking her away when she was only a few mo old. I've never seen any pics w/bottles so I think she must have been BF too.
VioletPearl
#24 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 07:03 PM
Pom

My mother for years insisted that I "refused" to take her milk.

Onlu recently have I been able to show her that it was probably lack of support that caused us to have feeding problems, and it was not a blatant rejection of her on my part!

She loves that I am breastfeeding and is "awed" at how much effort and commitment it takes. She's become quite the advocate.

But who knew? She was 21, and no one would help her through it.
#25 of 750 Old 12-27-2001, 11:00 PM

I was born in 68, my mother nursed me for about a week, I think. Then she had cracked and bleeding nipples, no support, and switched to formula. My SO was not nursed at all.

I'm planning to let my 8 month old daughter self-wean, regardless of who in my family thinks I'm crazy
#26 of 750 Old 12-28-2001, 12:13 AM

I was nursed for 3 months. I am one of the >1% That is genuinly allergic to breastmilk, My poor Mom did a compleatly elimination diet and could not find anything in her diet causeing me to be allergic, It was so bad that if BM got on my skin I would react I was raised on goats milk and Karo syrup cause it was the Only thing I could tolerate.

Both my Kids ended up having sever Dairy allergies and DD is Dairy/soy allergic so Im very lucky that we figgered out the BFing thing DS was Fed Soy formula From a lack of support/stupid advice from a Dr/Mean LLL lady...Long story...But he was BF for 6 weeks at least (wish it was longer!)

*Edited to add i was born in '77, My sister born in '74 was BF for 6 weeks untill she hit a growth spirt and the Drs told my Mom she was eatting so much cause mom had no milk...If my Mom had gotten the support she needed both my sister and i would have been BF*
#27 of 750 Old 12-28-2001, 02:32 AM

My mom nursed us all for about 9 mos. and then weaned us right to cow's milk. Oldest brother was born in 1958 in a Navy hospital. No one would show her how to nurse until in the middle of the night and old, old nurse knew how to show her what to do.

Her next child was born in 1960, me in 1962, and my younger brother in 1964. She hooked up with some of the LLL founders in Chicago when she was pg for the 3rd time, but she ended up miscarrying that time, and moving away so she never got involved with LLL.

I always knew that she was proud of going against the norm and that greatly influenced me when I had my kids.

Jeanne (been pregnant and/or nursing since 1991)
#28 of 750 Old 12-28-2001, 04:07 AM

The docs convinced my mom that formula was better than breastmilk in 1966 so I was never nursed, neither was my sister born in 1968. My dad revealed to me that that is the angriest he has ever been with my mom. I always new I would nurse my baby (hopefully babies) she is now 3 and still nursing once a day, in the morning. My grandmother and I now have a bond --we are the only living women in our family who have nursed a child. Grandma even told me about pumping milk so she could go out once in a while when my mom was a baby in 1940!
#29 of 750 Old 12-28-2001, 01:49 PM

I was born in 1974 and was nursed about 10-11m, when I self weaned. When I was a few months old, my Dad was a SAHD while my Mom worked because she made more money, so she hand expressed for bottles of bm for me. I started weaning when my family encouraged my Mom to give me water at around 6m because it was Florida and summer, no air conditioning, and they were convinced I needed it to not have heat stroke. I got solids fairly early, mainly because I was interested and liked them. My Mom looked and acted very conservative, but was very natural living, whole foods, type stuff. My grandmother (Mom's side) attempted to nurse, but didn't have "good milk" (probably didn't--she smoked at the time and worked many hours at a family grocery), and they were fed cow's milk (fresh/raw I think) after a few weeks. My Dad's Mom bottle fed her older kids, but nursed my Dad. Everyone in my family is very supportive of me nursing, even at almost 4yo. Shortly before he died, my Grandaddy told me he thought I should nurse "as long as Jimmy was willing and I was able", and if there were any doubts, that settled it for the rest of my family. My Grandaddy was very much the patriarch of our family.

Carrie

Edited for clarity and spelling errors.
#30 of 750 Old 12-28-2001, 03:01 PM

I was breastfed for 3 months, my 3 sisters for a year each. I was abruptly weaned because my mother got sick and was hospitilized and didn't have the support or means to pump and keep me on breastmilk. This was in 1959. My mother said she had no problems except for that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page