How Formula Companies Undermine Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

#1 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
X Post to Activism

I have seen several places now where people attribute altruistic motives to the formula companies, some people even saying that they "promote" breastfeeding. After hearing Katherine Dettwyler speak at a La Leche League conference several years ago, I know that this is not true. Formula companies do nothing that does not line their pocketbooks, and they do not make money from breastfeeding mothers. If you read nothing else, I would highly suggest you read Dettwyler's article "Beauty and the Breast" here
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detcontext.html
http://pluto.fss.buffalo.edu/classes...exercise6.html

I would encourage anyone who doubts the hidden motives of formula companies when the seem to be promoting breastfeeding to consider the following links:
http://www.compleatmother.com/study.htm
The Effects of Formula Advertising on Breastfeeding

Quote:
While much of the literature about breastfeeding distributed by formula companies is factual, omissions and images can mislead mothers, reinforce misconceptions about breastfeeding, and suggest that breastfeeding mothers also need to use formula.
From an AAFP position paper!
http://www.aafp.org/x6633.xml?printxml

Quote:
Although lactation consultants and breast pumping seminars are now standard at most hospitals, 90 percent of all breast-feeding materials distributed to new mothers in hospitals are produced by formula companies.
http://www.zipmall.com/bab-bott.htm

Quote:
These direct mail advertisements all admit that breast-feeding is best, but in her analysis, Baker describes the message as a "not-very-heartfelt disclaimer" (1). Infant formula promotional literature often plays up the notion that breast feeding is inconvenient, outdated, and embarrassing at times. These ideas are common in a lot of advertising. Baker quotes a Gary L. Freed article from the Journal of the American Medical Association in which Freed mentions that formula advertisers target women with intense advertising as close to birth as possible and also at "'predetermined, difficult times of the breast-feeding process: initiation and growth spurts'"
http://it.stlawu.edu/~advertiz/andrew/contemporary.htm

Other posters here have tried to say that the formula companies' collecting of breastfeeding statistics is a good thing.
Quote:
he formula industry's insistence on framing the debate on infant feeding even extends to their endeavor to collect and publish "national breastfeeding statistics." Barbara Heiser, executive director of the National Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy (NABA) says Ross Laboratories' role in tracking breastfeeding rates creates a conflict of interest. "We wouldn't ask the tobacco industry for statistics on lung cancer," she says. Daven Lee, a breastfeeding advocate and writer, says Ross is the only group that tracks national breastfeeding statistics--via a survey generated by their Marketing Department, and subsequently presented as unbiased research. "This way," Lee states, "Ross wins credibility and is cited as a resource in the media."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...st/ai_76614506

Take a look at how formula companies depict women- half naked, or in their pajamas- Breastfeeding is anything but convenient. Also, look at the left hand ring finger of the woman in many breastfeeding ads- no ring. Now look at the formula feeding mothers- big diamond rings on their fingers, dressed ready-to-go, gazing lovingly at their babies. Breastfeeding mothers are rarely depicted looking at their children, and only seem to be breastfeeding newborn babies.

Let's look at some of the pictures formula companies present of breastfeeding mothers:
http://www.verybestbaby.com/content/...20591575717469
Mom with boob hanging out, wearing pajamas. Mom is actually looking at baby

http://www.verybestbaby.com/content/...07491922236241
same as above

http://www.verybestbaby.com/tools/br...asp?brochure=2
Mom in bathrobe

http://www.enfamil.com/feeding/breas...ing/index.html
big boob, tiny baby, awkward positioning- the only breastfeeding pic on the website

Bright beginnings- no breastfeeding pics, and to get ANY info on breastfeeding you need to search the site map

http://www.welcomeaddition.com/displ...id=91&sub=92#a
No breastfeeding pics, but scroll down not one inch and aw! it's a daddy bottle feeding a baby!

http://www.welcomeaddition.com/display.cfm?id=91&sub=94
In a chair, covered with blankets, not going anywhere

Formula companies ARE NOT ADVOCATING BREASTFEEDING!!!!!
They have absolutely no reason to do so.
Any so-called promotion they do of breastfeeding, they are doing with one goal in mind- to encourage a mother to use formula.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for posting this. A lot of food for thought. I agree with you, though, it is obvious that formula companies have their own interests in mind. The only formula company that doesn't downright infuriate me is the Baby's Only brand from www.naturesone.com.
#3 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 11:51 AM

Thank you annette. I am surprised that some people do not realize the nature of formula companies.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

To me, formula companies promoting breastfeeding is sort of like tobacco-company-sponsored smoking cessation programs- how well do they REALLY want them to work?!?

: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 AM

altruistic motives AND formula companies? :LOL : :

Lots of good links there - thank you!
#6 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 12:04 PM

Let's not forget the more "active" examples. For example, a rep from a formula company coming in to the maternity ward at a hospital with a fantabulous free hot lunch for all the nurses and doctors...and some samples of their product. Is this going to make the medical professionals (which is a very subject term in my mind to begin with) more or less likely to encourage a mom who's having trouble BFing to use formula to "supplement"?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#7 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 12:26 PM

wow I never noticed that about the pictures of the breatfeeding women, but its right. They really do make it look like you're going to be stuck in the house. Even the pencil diagrams show women in bed.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#8 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Again I say that the standard of health is up to the local health department. I know all the hospitals my daughter was in promoted breastmilk and hated formula. We said poor baby when a baby was bottle fed stinky formula. Moms were helped to nurse even is they were standoffish. My daughter was never offered formula and milk donations were high for moms who didn't have enough milk. the standard must be set not by the company who is out to make money but by the government. Stop the need and you stop the product.
#9 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

How about the state?
Or the national government?
Or individuals?
The educational syster?
Family services?
Private doctors?
Do they have no say or influence?

Check out the

#10 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
How about the state?
Or the national government?
Or individuals?
The educational syster?
Family services?
Private doctors?
Do they have no say or influence?

Exactly thank you very much! I know my friends and family helped me breastfeed. The problem is not with the company who is doing what they are made for but the system that isn't doing enough.
#11 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:06 PM

The hospitals here give all mother's a free diaper bag upon discharge....provided by Similac and complete with a free canister of formula. I remember when my ds was a week or two old, crying in his father's arms as I went to go get the can of formula. I stood there holding it for a moment and thought "WTH am I doing?!" It's still up there, unopened....saving it for my SIL who probably won't make it past the first week *although I pray to God that she will!!!*
I say...we should all boycott hospitals that don't have a "breastfeeding mother's diaper bag" that isn't provided by a formula company. It's completely retarded that they give breastfeeding mother's a can of formula right of the bat...such a nice way to say "You're not good enough."

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#12 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:07 PM

All of those women look like Oscar Madison, living in their bathrobes. What an interesting trend that I never noticed, at least consciously.

And the one in the chair covered with blankets, yowza. Makes you think you need an arsenal of wraps to breastfeed an infant.

The links to scholarly writings were very interesting, too. Thank you.
#13 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Wow, that's an interesting observation about the pajamas/robe aspect of all those breastfeeding images on the formula web sites. They wouldn't want to show a mom nursing in a store or on a park bench, and have you unwittingly think breastfeeding might be easier in that situation than toting bottles around!
#14 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane~Alena
Exactly thank you very much! I know my friends and family helped me breastfeed. The problem is not with the company who is doing what they are made for but the system that isn't doing enough.
And the nation can make laws that reign in the companies... and we cana lso choose to take action against the companies. Many of those companies don't *just* sell formula- they sell breastpumps that work poorly, breast milk storage bags that come with bad information about breastfeeding, they work to promote their name by "sponsoring" the MoD

Check out the

#15 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I say...we should all boycott hospitals that don't have a "breastfeeding mother's diaper bag" that isn't provided by a formula company. It's completely retarded that they give breastfeeding mother's a can of formula right of the bat...such a nice way to say "You're not good enough."
Amen to that!
#16 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's an interesting observation about the pajamas/robe aspect of all those breastfeeding images on the formula web sites. They wouldn't want to show a mom nursing in a store or on a park bench, and have you unwittingly think breastfeeding might be easier in that situation than toting bottles around!
This is sad. I know most women I know won't nurse in public. I don't think they know it can be done without showing yourself imodestly. It can be done discreatly and that should be shown. I think most companies make their money by selling formula to nursing moms who go out and don't nurse in public. This is an advertisment that helps them and that isn't fair but it is an advertisment in its nature and that is what they do. I think again it is up to us as a community to set an example to moms and reach out and help them. I have sat in many malls helping new moms nurse their babies when they look flustered. We have been conditioned to bottle feed, dolls come with bottles so children know this is how to feed their babies. We need to stop all of it not just the companys that make the formula.
#17 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 PM

I agree that the formula companies of course do not want women breastfeeding, why would they? They need to sell their product. I can't say I believe government should have anything to do with it. I have seen formula commercials before (haven't finished the articles yet but will) and they do say "next to the breast its the best" or something to that effect on all of them. I can't say I agree it is second best to the breastmilk but they do say that breast is better. Grant they don't say it much.

I don't like formula, refuse to use it, never will. Too much junk in it and I want my baby healthy. As long as they continue to put every single ingredient on the label of products I really don't have much of a prob with what they do. I simply believe that it is their right to promote their product no matter what is out there that is better. Every product out there has something that is better and or safer, tastier, faster, etc to compete with. It is kinda hard to apply this thinking to formula because it replaces something that occurs naturally with something man made. The demand is obviously there.

I know women who believe breastmilk is best but simply "couldn't stand the thought of a baby sucking on them". Whether or not formula is available I believe these women would use something else anyway...goats milk or something anything but the breast. Sad but true.

I noticed the pics before too but they didn't stike me like they seemed to have everyone else. I guess to me the thought of sitting my bathrobe on the bed or couch breastfeeding me baby is very appealing. That is probably where I will be most of the time considering I am a stay at home wife....(hopefully mother soon!!a week and two days late...) So in my eyes the pics did the opposite, they made breastfeeding look very appealing and makes me ache to care for my little one soon. The pic of the guy....that just looked wierd to me. When I think of feeding babies I think of a woman alone with her child. Strange I guess seeing as most everyone I know save for a few do use formula....been around that my whole life. I even really enjoyed being able to feed my neices and nephews with a bottle years ago, you would think I would be all for formula.....

I think one of the biggest thing is the fact that most women today work out of the home. I can't imagine breastfeeding and working out of the home. One of the many many reasons I don't work out of the home. My point is I don't know anyone who works out of the home who uses breastmilk. Sad thing is some of these women want to stay home but their hubby won't let them. They almost have no choice whatsoever, so in a way I'm glad there are things for them to use to feed their babies. Then again, formula isn't exactly the healthiest thing in the world....wish there was something better for these women to use.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#18 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

They say "breast is best" because they are required by law to do so. Can you imagine what they would say if there were no restraints?

And, while the pictures had a positive effect on you, most women don't want to sit around half nekkid all day. I think especially when you take these pictures in context- a woman in pj's nursing a baby in an uncomfortable position vs a woman dressed and on her way out the door with a baby holding a bottle.

Check out the

#19 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajane
.I think one of the biggest thing is the fact that most women today work out of the home. I can't imagine breastfeeding and working out of the home. One of the many many reasons I don't work out of the home. My point is I don't know anyone who works out of the home who uses breastmilk.
You don't actually know me, but here I am to say "hello!" I work three days out of the home and pump once a day while I'm at work. Granted, I'm lucky to be in a white collar environment and have an awesome boss, but it's not that big of a deal. I know I'm not the only one around here; I've seen plenty of pumping threads.

Best of luck with your baby. In the early days you may be tooling around in your bathrobe, but I think that will change as he/she grows. I believe the OP's point about those photos is the formula companies are subliminally trying to convey the message that breastmilk is for young infants only.
#20 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 02:48 PM

: ... another pumping mama here. There are lots of us. My son is 18 months old and still nursing. I was back at work at 8 weeks but DS never had a single drop of formula.
#21 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Just another comment on working/pumping.

My son is 11 months, I've been pumping daily since he was 2 days old (had trouble getting nursing started), and pumped 1-2 times daily at work, 5 days a week, since he was 3 months old. It can be done! A flexible work environment is definitely a plus, but many states have laws to protect breastfeeding babies and moms in the workplace for this reason.

#22 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Another working mom here who breastfed. I worked hard to be sure dd and ds did not get formula when I went back to work. I got a REAL pump from Medela. NOt a formula company pump.
Another thing, and I did not read the links so I do not know if it is there or not, but formula companies do not GIVE their products away. It may seem like it, but they are incentives given to hospitals and Dr offices for promoting/pushing thier products. It affects what kind of info a doc gives new mothers. Lucky for me, my docs were not like that. I think they did have samples, but they were not in view and they werecertainly never pushed on me. I never even knew about them until mil brought some home once when dd was a baby. I still dont know why she did when I made sure she had enough milk whenever I left her with her. I dont think they were ever even opened. So, yeah, it looks free and they may seem they are helping hospitals out, but there is a very big condition on that.

Also, the cost of formula. No time to search now, but I am sure someone here knows or has a link. The cost of making formula is actually very low. Like pennies for every dollar they charge. Anyone?
#23 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM

Here is a link to another article on the tricks of these companies.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/tricks.html
#24 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Hi another pump at work mom here. I was fortunate enough to have DD at work with me from 6 weeks until 7 months. Then I got another job and pumped every shift and did so with this job until she adjusted her nursing schedule. Now I don't pump because I am almost 7 months pregnant and there is no need.

But it is possible to pump and work.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#25 of 62 Old 04-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was another mom who pumped at work...took the milk home for my babysitter or husband - whoever had my son that day - to feed d/s the next day, and carried on until my son was 10 months old. I'd gone back when he was 5 months old, and by then I had the pumping down to where it only took me a few minutes three times a day. The bonus was that I didn't have to give up nursing, so we had that beautiful "hi baby - I'm home" feed every day when I got home from work. I still remember how cozy it felt. Looking back, I wish I'd waited a little longer to wean, but he seemed ready, and I was TTC and thought I might have better luck if I weaned him.

I'm another for whom the breastfeeding images backfire on the formula companies. I think the robes/pyjamas look awfully comfy...much more so than standing in the kitchen mixing up formula, for sure!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 62 Old 04-23-2005, 02:17 PM

thanks SaraJane for showing exactly how well the formula companies are doing with you and your friends. Good examples.
#27 of 62 Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I simply believe that it is their right to promote their product no matter what is out there that is better.
Do you believe that every product should be freely marketed without regulation on who can buy it or if it's dangers are clearly stated? There are lots of things less dangerous than formula that are more highly regulated in their sale and labelling. Of course, the cans aren't big enough to print on them all the things formula increases a child's risk of. :

Quote:
I know women who believe breastmilk is best but simply "couldn't stand the thought of a baby sucking on them".
If it weren't such an oddity in our society, there would be far less women with these hangups. I'm sure some of them have SID or abuse issues, but those who are just "creeped out" wouldn't see it as creepy if it was goign on all around them. Yet another reason to NIP.

Quote:
Sad thing is some of these women want to stay home but their hubby won't let them. They almost have no choice whatsoever
Won't LET them? I hope you're saying that their financial situation is such that they cannot stay home on their hubby's salary, not that he's actually withholding his permission from them. Gah.
#28 of 62 Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 AM

Great post, Annette Marie. I loved the links to the many great articles and your own insight.
#29 of 62 Old 04-26-2005, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I went to a session about this sort of thing at my last LLL conference. The presenter was showing images where bottlefeeding was idealized, with the husband and wife sitting together, holding the baby, beaming down at him as they fed the bottle. Then the nursing mother photo was of a mother in a robe with no wedding ring and no father of the baby in the photo.
#30 of 62 Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Was it Kathy Dettweyler? She rocks.

Check out the

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page