18 yr old getting "boob job" as she calls it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2005, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting this here, because my thinking is that this girl is possibly obliterating her breastfeeding future by doing this. If it should go elsewhere, just let me know...

I have a friend who's 18 yr old daughter is going to do this because her boyfriends father is a plastic surgeon and will do it for free. She's into body building. Does anyone have any info that I could pass onto this child that might be somewhat convincing to an 18 yr old? I just don't see ""contributing to the unhealthy idea that breasts must meet a minimum standard in order to be beautiful"" being a good argument for her. She really is a smart girl, so I'll surely get her talking about this too. Also, her mom had hers enlarged at about 40yrs. This just grosses me out, but I have to do her hair for prom next weekend & want my ducks in a row. I know these people really well, so I'm comfortable saying prety much anything to them. Her mother's stance is "She's 18 - what am I gonna do?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 01:54 PM

Teens: Are Breast Implants Dangerous?
Safety information for teenagers thinking about silicone or saline breast implants for augmentation.
http://www.breastimplantinfo.org/aug...t-dangers.html

Not sure if this will suffice, but it's a start.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:06 PM

I think she's crazy, but I have nothing to offer on the risks.

I do know that my cousin had a reduction before she had children (she actually had good reasons - more psychological than anything, but good reasons, nonetheless). She talked to her doctor about future breastfeeding, and he was able to do the job in such a way that she was still able to b/f all three of her babies.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaBL
I'm posting this here, because my thinking is that this girl is possibly obliterating her breastfeeding future by doing this. If it should go elsewhere, just let me know...

I have a friend who's 18 yr old daughter is going to do this because her boyfriends father is a plastic surgeon and will do it for free. She's into body building. Does anyone have any info that I could pass onto this child that might be somewhat convincing to an 18 yr old? I just don't see ""contributing to the unhealthy idea that breasts must meet a minimum standard in order to be beautiful"" being a good argument for her. She really is a smart girl, so I'll surely get her talking about this too. Also, her mom had hers enlarged at about 40yrs. This just grosses me out, but I have to do her hair for prom next weekend & want my ducks in a row. I know these people really well, so I'm comfortable saying prety much anything to them. Her mother's stance is "She's 18 - what am I gonna do?"

I'm under the impression that women with implants can breastfeed normally. Is that incorrect?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:42 PM

A friend of mine got a boob job for her 21st birthday from her parents
Old 04-24-2005, 03:31 PM

I, personally, feel that it truly is her choice. BUT, I would really encourage her if she is going to do this to talk to the doctor about preserving her ability to bfeed. So at least she has the option in the future. Pamala Anderson did so succesfully... but she went in knowing she wanted to nurse in the future.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How seriously is she into bodybuilding?

Have you seen some of those women? If you continue to lift and build muscle like that for years, eventually you will have breasts that look like hard slabs of muscle. A lot of female bodybuilders get implants. But if she doesn't look like that now, she can wait.

She may not be planning to have children. Again, female bodybuilders sometimes mess up their systems to where they don't have periods, and it affects their fertility.

Tell her to talk to many, many people before she makes the decision. Tell her that most people who get implants end up getting them removed, that after a while, they start to look bad, and that sometimes you can get stretch marks on your chest. Have her talk to women IRL who have gotten implants, other female bodybuilders, personal trainers (preferably female)...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:37 PM

I know that you can still in most cases breastfeed with implants, but chances are it will not be the painless experience it was meant to be.

Just curious (and you don't have to share this with us), but does the teens mom value breastfeeding? Maybe if the mom is bf friendly, she may be able to communicate this aspect of the effects of the sugery with her. I know the issues surrounding this decision are not cut and dried but I'm just throwing an idea out there.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 PM

If I was 18 years old and my BF's dad was going to do my boob job, I'd be totally embarrassed! Even if he sees boobs all day long, I think for an 18 year old that would be more than a little uncomfortable. I'd ask her if she has any other reasons for getting that done other than her BF's dad will do it for free, and possibly b/c her mom got one done. Trying to get into the mind of an 18 year old (which is hard to do at 35), I'm thinking there's probably another underlying issue - maybe physical insecurity? Maybe her BF is a "boob man"? Neither of which, IMO, are good reasons to get a boob job.

I don't know if breast augmentation prevents one from BF'ing in the future, but even if it does, I don't think the "...but what if you can't BF your future child(ren)" argument will work on an 18 year old. I think most 18 year olds live for the present, disregarding the distant future. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, just what people do at that age. I'd try to get her to talk about her feelings and see if you can get at some underlying issue.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:19 PM

I personally have known women who have implants who have gone on to breastfeed their children, some with complications, some with none. It does make a difference whether the implants are above or below the muscle and if she thinks she might ever want to have children or breastfeed it is worth telling the surgeon. I can't imagine having a bf's dad do the surgery but that is just me. I actually can't imagine having it done anyways. My close friend did have implants after her children had grown beyond the breastfeeding stages and was/still is thrilled with the results. I watched an MTV special that made me sure that it was something I was NOT ever going to do -- alot in part to how painful it seemed. It is a personal choice and although I think 18 is quite young to be making that kind of choice, it happens all the time. At least you can give her some things to think about.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The website http://007b.com has a lot of good educational info:

about the breasts, what is normal, breast health, personal image issues, breastfeeding, our cultures views (and why they're screwy) on the breast as sex objects, etc.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:55 PM

I personally am against stuff like that, but everyone has their own right to free will I supposse.
I second the idea of being creeped out at the thought of a bf's dad seeing my boobs:ick Or thinking they need to be bigger? Double ick.

What happens when she breatfeeds?Possible outcome is she either can't, or they will get weird when her milk comes in or they are TOO big. I don't know anything about it but these all seem like possibilities to me.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:52 PM

Whether or not she can successfully breastfeed will depend on the surgical technique and how many nerves are cut. The latest "no scar" technique is to remove the nipple, insert through that hole and reattach the nipple. This hides the scar, but cuts the most nerves.

But, at 18, does she care if she can't breastfeed? All she may be concerned about is appearance, future consequences be d*&#ed.

I hope that you can at least give her something to think about.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't they have a technique where the implants are inserted through the navel?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I worked for a group of plastic surgeons for years and I have followed women from the consulting stages to a couple of years post op. I have not personally seen women lose the ability to breastfeed from augmentation or reduction but it is a risk. I have also not seen anyone lose sensitivity from either surgery (ex. breast reduction with areolar grafting or breast reconstruction) but I have seen women have altered sensitivity. In most cases this was temporary hypersensitivity not loss of sensitivity. The loss of sensitivity was generally related to a drastic change in size (larger or smaller). The minimal scar (no such thing as no scar) incision (circumareolar) is an incision on the lower border of the areola and does not remove the areola. Occasionally a VERY large/huge breast reduction will require the removal and then grafting back on of the areola, patients having this surgery know they will lose sensitivity beforehand. The umbilical incision (belly button) is not a popular incision for various reasons, the only that I can remember now is that it can cause visual "tunnel marks" where the implant was moved up to the breast. Bottom line is that she is a legal adult and this is her body.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:06 AM

Well I have implants and had no problems nursing. I used an OB when I had my ds and she said implants are a lot more common than people think and the only time she has seen problems nursing with implants was sometimes with the areolar incision. I nursed my ds until a few months ago when he was 21months and only weaned him because my milk dried up. Yeah nursing was painful at first but not unusually painful. When I got them I didn't think one way or the other about breastfeeding so it's not something I had mentioned to the surgeon. Anyway I've had my implants for a long time and am very happy with them. I know you want to talk this girl out of it but I just wanted to let you know that not everyone has problems or ends up hating them.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:09 PM

I was just watching a show on MTV a little while ago. The whole show is about people wanting to look like stars. There was one girl who wanted to look like brittney spears so she could have a higher self esteem...it was an annoying show.

Anyway during the show they went back to talk to a gal who had done the show before and she was saying how she totally regretted getting implants. They gave her an infection, then they leaked, etc. She has had like 4 more surgeries on each breast since the initial implants were put in. She also said that she doesn't want to take them out because her breasts now look so horrible without the implants because they have stretched out her skin so much.

Have the girl check it out.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif

User Tag List