Nurse In , Columbus Ohio Tomorrow 5-10!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There will be a nurse in in front of the Statehouse tomorrow from 11am-1pm.

Apparently last week some Reps made comments about "free spirited" women who may expose more breast than is needed, women baring themselves to nurse and ...you all will love this one.........

that a nursing baby may spit up in a place of business, someone may slip and fall in it and the business owner would be sued. Like FF babies don't spit up. So we are meeting tomorrow to make a stand before this bill goes back to the House on Wednesday. Bring babies/toddlers, signs, tshirts, whatever you want and join us there. we will be contacting newspapers, tv channels also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 PM

Bump
Old 05-09-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

bumpin again Hi Heidi
Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Hi Heidi and Heather!! I'll see you two there!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM

"that a nursing baby may spit up in a place of business, someone may slip and fall in it and the business owner would be sued."

Oh my! That's a new one.

My ds spit up on the sign in book when I went to vote last year. :LOL Good thing it didn't hit the floor.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 AM

Looking forward to seeing ya'll there tomorrow, using "good judgment" and "discretion" of course.

FYI for others that may want to join us:
MEDIA ADVISORY
Media Contact: Alissa DeRouchie, Karina Brown
Phone: 614-596-8352
Email: [email protected], [email protected]

Central Ohio Mothers Organize a Nurse-In
In Support of The Breastfeeding Bill

WHAT:Central Ohio mothers organize a “Nurse-In” to demonstrate support of The Breastfeeding Bill (TBB) currently on hold in the Ohio House of Representatives.

WHEN:Tuesday, May 10, 2005 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

WHERE:Ohio Statehouse Lawn

WHY:TBB is currently on hold in the House due to a possible “Discreet Nursing” Amendment, which would attempt to define “appropriate nursing discretion.” Ohio is among only 11 other States that do not offer nursing rights to mothers. No other States include such a discretion amendment. Central Ohio mothers in support of TBB will demonstrate that nursing mothers are capable of using good judgment and that the amendment is unnecessary.

###
Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

well we had 1 tv station show up as of 12:15 when I had to leave. i hope we end up with more exposure (pun intended...LOL) than that, but it was a decent turn out and lots of signs and people going to lunch. i'm sure there will be much talk
Old 05-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Can't wait to hear about it Heather, dd slept late, so we missed it. Crossing my fingers that everything works out and the bill passes without the amendments.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Awww, I must have just missed you Heather! The turnout was great! No more news showed up after you left, but we did ge a cop right before we were ready to pack up, lol. Told us we couldn't have the signs on the lawn. Oh well, I think we got our point across. Heidi, I missed seeing you today! I'm going to have to take notes on getting kids to sleep in, lol. DD was up at 7:30 this morning!

Brandy
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 AM

Brandy- Last night on the news (we get Cincinnati news) they reported that the vote for the bill was almost unanimous- with only one vote against. It mentioned something about some sour grape and spilled breastmilk being a hazard... I tried to find it online and all the news reports I was finding there said that the vote was unanimous. Anyway- I did find an article about the spillage issue- http://www.theotherpaper.com/substory2.html
Bill Seitz of Cincinnati was the one who brought up this objection- apparently he wanted a clause added to the bill which would protect buisness owners from lawsuits stemming from breastfeeding women on their premesis - for example- if someone slipped and fell on some breastmilk (and to think that chewing tobacco is legal in Ohio)

Anyway- I would love to make a t -shirt which says

Rep. Bill Seitz
Slip on this!

I can't believe what a jerk.

Do you know if he actually voted against the bill or if he just raised a concern?

Love Sarah
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This morning's Columbus Dispatch said that the amendment didn't pass after a 10-10 vote, then the amendment-free version passed 19-1.

The full house will vote next week, and the amendments will be proposed again at that time.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl25

that a nursing baby may spit up in a place of business, someone may slip and fall in it and the business owner would be sued. Like FF babies don't spit up.
News flash: bottles can leak and spill.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 AM

You mamas kick butt!!! Thanks for your work

Cecily - public nursing advocate

User Tag List