Nurse-in at "The View"? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria
Rosie!? Oh, the one who cried when Rita Wilson informed her that her adopted son was intact! Thankfully, Spielberg's wife was able to set up a circ quickly to fix that.
She cried over him being intact?!?!?!?! What a nut job.

Why was she even on the show anyways - does anybody even care about her anymore?

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#362 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Below is an email i sent to meredith (since she seems to be the relative voice of reason at the moment on the show).

Dear Meredith, it's wonderful that you shared on air that you breastfed your children, lucky them!

I understand there will be a discussion of the topic of breastfeeding tomorrow. I am concerned that there is unlikely to be a representative view from the perspective of a TRUE bf advocate (not saying that you aren't, but that your cohosts often have made no bones about denigrating breastfeeding/breastfeeders.) I feel a truly educated and current perspective might help to balance the vitriol of your colleagues.

I have sent a link that I think you will find to be an interesting read-it is about the language used when discussing breastfeeding, and about the 'breast is best' stance and language. If you would read it, it would give you another perspective.

Barabara's comments do not truly reflect the whole issue. Our society has a huge bias against using breasts for their intended purpose of nourishing our young. Our babies do not deserve to be given third-rate 'food' because some people are squeamish about a breast being used as it was intended.

Wishing you well,
Katherine

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8.../language.html

#363 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 PM

maybe we should be emailing rosie, too. sigh.

all you mamas who planned and supported these events are inspiring. i hope your partners and children remember (those children who are old enough ) the strength of your convictions and pass them on

annettemarie, i love those points, btw, wasn't trying to nickpick
#364 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Nice letter!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#365 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM

at Rosie. They should of told her to keep her mouth shut during breastfeeding discussions. I think she needs to be bombarded with letters. Ya know what I really hate is her comment on it's a woman's choice how to feed her baby and it's America blah blah blah. I HATE when people say that crap. What about the baby's right? No one seems to care what is right for the child. puke puke puke!! Ugh that gets me fired up. :LOL

Overall though, I was very impressed with Merideth. I'll be watching and if she still impresses me I'll be sending her a letter of praise. IMO, it seemed like when someone said something off today she stuck up for breastfeeders.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#366 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy
Baba's phone call was OK except I thought it was sexist to assume that NIP bothers men, it sure doesn't bother my man :
barbara . My hubby isn't bothered either, nor my BIL or father or any of my other male relatives. We were at the beach Saturday afternoon and my hubby noticed a lady a ways from us holding a baby. He said "hey, I think she's nursing! good for her!".

Rosie's comments.. so glad I no longer have a TV. I'd probably have thrown it through the window hearing that! If my significant other ever tried to stop me from nursing that'd be the last thing they did! :
#367 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

<--- has not enjoyed thigns that came out of rosie o donnell's mouth in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooong time. i actually like her a little bit the first year she had her talk she- it seemed like she tried to help a lot of people (i know- it was probably just good marketign and pr though).

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#368 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

I wish I could get it here in Malaysia (I never thought I'd say that about The View! :LOL ANd I doubt I can find it online!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
She cried over him being intact?!?!?!?! What a nut job.
Yeppers.

"I told Rosie Parker hadn't been circumcised, even though she insisted that he had," actress Rita Wilson said in the February issue of Ladies' Home Journal. "I just thought, 'Wow, it really healed good in two days," said Ms. O'Donnell, who recalled bursting into tears when she realized the mistake, which was due to a mix-up in hospital records. She said her friend Kate Capshaw, Steven Spielberg's wife, arranged to have the circumcision performed the next day. http://www.s-t.com/daily/01-97/01-14-97/zzzwnppl.htm

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#369 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Apparently it is NOT her partners choice to make.
#370 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 01:16 PM

Rosie.... :Puke

I had no clue she was so ignorant on circ and beastfeeding!!!

She just stomped out any respect that I had for her.

Jealous of the baby her partner was breastfeeding.....grow up!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#371 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Didn't Rosie's mom die of breast cancer? I'm surprised she doesn't know the facts about breastfeeding lowering a woman's chance of getting breast cancer, and wouldn't want to give her family the best chance at avoiding it.
#372 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM

So angry at Rosie's comments.

It's nice to know she puts her own selfish need to hold the baby over the baby's health needs.

She also mentioned that her buddy Madonna didn't breastfeed/or only did for a short time.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#373 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM

It seems to me Rosie has personal issues regarding bf since she didn't bf her own children. I smell another letter writing campaign.
#374 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Men deal with it & are OK, why can't she???
#375 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Rosie is a
I cannot even believe what she said, talk about some serious jealousy/insecurity issues.
I shut it off and missed Barbara's phone call. Can someone fill me in on what she said?
DH pointed out the unfortunate part, all of us being upset and watching makes their ratings go up.
I don't know if an anti-Rosie campaign would be worth it. She has survived some pretty bad pr, and does anyone care about her anyway?
#376 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM

I turned it off after Rosie's comments too, so I missed Barbra's call. I am wondering what she said.
Apparently they will talk about it tomorrow with Barb and Star being there. (OH GOODY Star Jones comments. ) BUT Meradith will be gone... I am thinking it isn't going to go well. I can only see it being a BF in public bash. Like cover up and keep out of site. It makes me crazy mad just thinking about it. I am thinking it won't be good for me to watch it, I might have a stroke! :LOL
And Rosie! My god. What a selfish woman. I have nursed 4 kids (still nursing 1) and my DH has bonded very well with all the kids. THere is more to parenting than feeding. How about holding the baby, changing diapers, singing, there about 100 other things to do with a baby besides feeding. HEY how about co-sleeping. They are right next to you all night.
This whole thing is making me CRAZY! :LOL : ....

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#377 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So - nurse-in in front of Rosie's house??????

Goodness! If she was jealous she could have tried inducing lactation herself (lots of adoptive mothers are able to bf on a part-time basis) or fed the baby a bottle of ebm!!!!! There were alternatives to formula! : So selfish!

Well, I never have liked her and I guess I never will...

But kudos to all of you who were able to participate in the nurse-ins yesterday! I'm super impressed!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#378 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm glad someone (was it Joy?) told her that her selfishness was a detriment to the baby. Or something like that.
#379 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:22 PM

Bravo to all of you ladies!! I get all teary eyed looking at the wonderful pictures that were taken at the nurse in. WTG!!

I don't watch "The View", but I will make an extra effort to watch tomorrow.
#380 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:36 PM

Someone suggested I comment in Rosie's blog, which she apparently does read, but I'm not up to it. Here it i if anyone else wants to:
http://www.rosie.com/2005/06/07/post-away/#comments

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#381 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:36 PM

...I'm sure the entire segment will be them defending themselves.

I normally do not watch the show, I find it completely pointless, but I have been following it this week. Why is Elizabeth nursing & giving formula, why doesn't she just pump & give the baby EBM? She said nursing is hard. Big deal, get over it & do what's best for your baby, NURSE HER.

As for Rosie, I won't even comment.
#382 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm so sad to hear Rosie made such negative and ignorant comments about breastfeeding and circumcision. I've always really liked her. I always imagined she was at least somewhat AP. I guess I was wrong.
#383 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitareality
Apparently it is NOT her partners choice to make.
sounds like a serious power imbalance in that relationship. i was SO disappointed by her comments - i had to leave for work after the first five minutes of the view, but heard rosie's nonsense. dh watched the whole thing and got it on tape, so i will be able to watch it later (actually both kids are napping, so maybe i should get off the computer!).

i have convinced dh that he needs to write rosie an email about ways to bond with your child that don't involve bottles

eta: oh, and the circumcision thing is just, just, beyond disappointing.
#384 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 03:59 PM

http://www.rosie.com/2005/06/07/post-away/#comments

A couple people have posted on her blog about breastfeeding but not many
#385 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You know you are right. It is America and everybody does have the right to feed their baby the way they want. Everybody also has the right to peacefully protest when misinformation and ignorance is put out there on the airwaves for all to see. I would think you of all people would understand that. The protest wasn’t about breast vs bottle, or breastmilk vs formula. It was about sending a message to a group of women who put on a show for women and yet habitually (and, regardless of what Barbara Walters says, it has been The View’s HABIT of making negative comments about breastfeeding, whether it be in public or in private.

As far as you “making” your wife stop nursing because you were jealous- shame on you. Don’t you know that breastfeeding reduces both your wife and your baby’s risks of breast cancer?
My message to Rosie.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#386 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 04:50 PM

If anyone is interested in standing outside of their studios at 9 AM their information line says there are still tickets available. Here is the number (212)456-7777.
Good luck!
#387 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM

I posted on Rosie's blog and also spread the link on some Yahoo groups I'm on. Had to stomach a bunch of "oh Rosie you're so great" comments but somehow I got through without puking....

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#388 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Hopefully they will seriously talk about it tomorrow. According to their website the co-host tomorrow will be Dennis ******, so maybe we shouldn't get our hopes up too much. I also notice that the co-host on Friday will be Ms. O'Donnell again, so maybe we should write?
#389 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Ok the Rosie Blog is a joke. I am sure even if she reads any of it it won't mean a damn thing if a few dozen people were upset about her BF comments. There are over 500 posts or something like that.
I am so sick and tired of this, I say forget the shirts just whip out the breast (that everyone seems to think they can see anyway) and pop that kid on! Of course there might be "spillage", but who cares! :LOL :LOL :LOL

Anyway I think I am done on line today. I can't take it any more. I guess I need to save some energy for the View tomorrow... I am hoping that they actually get the opposing view on there tomorrow... And after that I am putting the TV for a long *ss time. I need to cocoon myself in my family and friends for awhile and take a break from insanity!
BTW! ROCK ON NURSING MAMAS! I YOU ALL!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#390 of 602 Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Rosie, I am ashamed to say i used to watch your show. What kind of selfish crap is that, you had Kelly STOP nursing cuz you were jealous?Its nice to know that you have your CHILDS best interest at heart. Didn't your mother pass from breast cancer? Did you know that breastfeeding lowers the risk of Breast cancer, shamed on you. I nurse my 10month old boy and love every minute of it! Get A grip and do the resaearch before you open that big mouth of you'rs. Oh yeah, Have a wonderful day!!!!!
These were my comments to rosies blog.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page